Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
HD Pilot's Avatar
 
2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I learned to ignore the 1" above the trailer hitch height references. What is more important is how much your suspension settles from the weight of the trailer tongue on it. Mine settles over 2 inches and the WD engaged will only pick up about 1 inch. So I set the ball height accordingly and this of course varies from TV to TV.
I kinda hate to ignore an Instruction by the manufaturer but can see that for a heavier hitch weight like yours that may work. The hitch weight on a 23'FB is pretty darn light - 467 lbs as listed by Airstream so I do not think it will make my F150 squat very much.

I called the Hitch Source today and feel like I got some pretty honest help. The guy could not recommend the Blue Ox on the Airstream because of road clearance issues. I was worried about this too after hearing multiple stories of grinding/damaged U-bolts so now I am rethinking the Blue Ox selection.

This choice has been a complete PITA: Blue Ox - clearance issues, Equalizer - noisy metal on metal, HAHA/ProPride - super expensive, Anderson - tons of Threads/Posts on so many plus/minuses that it would take days to decypher, etc, etc.

Oh Well, I will figure something out. Thanks for the responses!
__________________

__________________
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41
I am having the same height problems with the blue ox hitch and my GMC Sierra 2500. I have a six hole hitch and cannot get it low enough to level the trailer. How would I determine if I need a seven hole or nine hole hitch?
__________________

__________________
boilermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
HD Pilot's Avatar
 
2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
I am having the same height problems with the blue ox hitch and my GMC Sierra 2500. I have a six hole hitch and cannot get it low enough to level the trailer. How would I determine if I need a seven hole or nine hole hitch?
I would do the same calculations I did to discover the problem with the 7 hole. If you look at the Blue Ox Installation Instructoins you will see info on all the different size hitches and by knowing you need to be 1" above the coupler height and measuring the height above ground to your receiver - you should be able to determine the best receiver to get. I would always opt for the smallest one that will meet the 1" above the coupler height requirement - it will be lighter and less likely to hit something.
__________________
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 31
On our 2010 f150 the lower part of the receiver is at 17 inches... the truck is a 4x4 Lariat with the max tow package.

Having used no other wd hitch, I can't tell you much about other products out there, but I can say we are happy with the Blue Ox thus far. We tow a FC25 and the only time we had a clearance issue was getting on to a ferry ramp. Nothing major, the ferry, truck and trailer were all okay.

All the best!
__________________
wanderingduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Pilot View Post
I kinda hate to ignore an Instruction by the manufaturer but can see that for a heavier hitch weight like yours that may work. The hitch weight on a 23'FB is pretty darn light - 467 lbs as listed by Airstream so I do not think it will make my F150 squat very much.

I called the Hitch Source today and feel like I got some pretty honest help. The guy could not recommend the Blue Ox on the Airstream because of road clearance issues. I was worried about this too after hearing multiple stories of grinding/damaged U-bolts so now I am rethinking the Blue Ox selection.

This choice has been a complete PITA: Blue Ox - clearance issues, Equalizer - noisy metal on metal, HAHA/ProPride - super expensive, Anderson - tons of Threads/Posts on so many plus/minuses that it would take days to decypher, etc, etc.

Oh Well, I will figure something out. Thanks for the responses!
What ? Road clearance issues with the BO, you have to be kidding me !
When the trailer is leveled its leveled. Regardless of what hitch one uses. You would only need to use the 9 hole receiver to get low enough for an Airstream would be on a F-250 which sits higher to begin with.
__________________
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
HD Pilot's Avatar
 
2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
What ? Road clearance issues with the BO, you have to be kidding me !
When the trailer is leveled its leveled. Regardless of what hitch one uses. You would only need to use the 9 hole receiver to get low enough for an Airstream would be on a F-250 which sits higher to begin with.
Different hitch set ups will be closer to the ground than others, not an expert on all ot the hitches ground clearances but have read/heard of the Blue Ox dragging from multiple sources now. Yes, the TT should be level but still the Blue Ox appears to have more scrapping than others...I have not ruled the Blue Ox out, it is just another consideration that I take into account. Sounds like you have not had a problem, that is positive feedback in my decision making.

I just happen to have a 1997 F-250 4x2 and the trailer receiver sits 3" lower than my 2015 F-150 4x4, so there is a lot more that goes into receiver height than whether it is a 150 or 250. I'm sure I could get away with the 7 hole on my F-250 but don't think so on my F-150.
__________________
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:02 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
When the trailer is leveled its leveled. Regardless of what hitch one uses.
True. However, to achieve this level some component of a hitch ends up lower than the tongue height of the trailer and that lowest part defines your clearance. HD Pilot seems to be trying to ask around to see which hitch has suitable clearance. A smart exercise before buying one, I am sure you'd agree.

I just saw another post on this forum about someone having to change out their 'u' hooks on their wd bars because they were bent, apparently from dragging....
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ox-149678.html

I would encourage you to continue to do your research, HD Pilot! And then please share your findings here so the next person has a better starting point to decide which hitch to get.
__________________
wanderingduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:22 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 317
A friend of mine had her hitch setup at a Airstream dealer and she has to be very careful or her hitch well drag. The setup works well and tows good but has nil for clearance.
__________________
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 47
Just curious or point of clarification: when talking about the "hitch dragging" is that the entire Blue Ox (including the spring bars) or just the receiver?
When we first got our AS (19' Bambi) the very experienced dealer installed the BO on our Highlander and the spring bats would often drag a bit when going over curbs, i.e. service stations, parking lots, and as wanderingduo said ferry ramps!
Now with our F-150 it is fine - no problems. Again, that is with a 4x4 Lariat with a full tow package and a 6 hole Blue Ox. I did need to flip the receiver to level things out and reposition the ball. Part of the solution ion may have been my ability to now put more tension on the bars by taking in one more link on the chains. But real pleased with the BO.
__________________
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingduo View Post
True. However, to achieve this level some component of a hitch ends up lower than the tongue height of the trailer and that lowest part defines your clearance. HD Pilot seems to be trying to ask around to see which hitch has suitable clearance. A smart exercise before buying one, I am sure you'd agree.

I just saw another post on this forum about someone having to change out their 'u' hooks on their wd bars because they were bent, apparently from dragging....
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ox-149678.html

I would encourage you to continue to do your research, HD Pilot! And then please share your findings here so the next person has a better starting point to decide which hitch to get.

I had set up 3 different hitches over the last 3 years and do get anal about it myself. Setting up my F-150 with the BO I had to go to a 7 hole receiver and set the hitch ball at the lowest holes to get my ball height to 21" where I need it with my truck suspension set up. That is where I needed it with the Anderson and the Equalizer prior to that, to get the trailer level. My 30' International is level all around at exactly 17" bottom of frame to the ground. The Ball mount is about the same height for all these hitches and all three gave me identical ground clearance.
__________________
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
 
HD Pilot's Avatar
 
2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 53
Just an update on my decision: I just ordered the Blue Ox with the 550lb bars. I know some people will say that I should have got the 750lb bars but the more I thought about the weights involved, I felt that the 550lb bars fit the best. The listed tongue weight for the 23FB is 467lb with full LP tanks so I have about 83 more lbs to spare on the tongue and we will be careful to not load up the front area of the trailer. We do not plan on going on long trips anyway so we will be traveling fairly light.

I also think the added benifit of lighter 550lb bars is that I will have to bend them a bit more than the 750lb bars which should give me more ground clearance. I also plan to grind down the ends of the U bolts in a rounded fashion close to the locking nuts - this should help with clearance and possible U bolt damage.

I thought long and hard over the Anderson and Equal-i-zer hitches but for many reasons I just could not go that direction. Hopefully the Blue Ox will work fine, even if I have to buy bigger bars later on - I can, more than what I can say about the Equal-i-zer hitch....
__________________
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Pilot View Post
Just an update on my decision: I just ordered the Blue Ox with the 550lb bars. I know some people will say that I should have got the 750lb bars but the more I thought about the weights involved, I felt that the 550lb bars fit the best. The listed tongue weight for the 23FB is 467lb with full LP tanks so I have about 83 more lbs to spare on the tongue and we will be careful to not load up the front area of the trailer. We do not plan on going on long trips anyway so we will be traveling fairly light.

I also think the added benifit of lighter 550lb bars is that I will have to bend them a bit more than the 750lb bars which should give me more ground clearance. I also plan to grind down the ends of the U bolts in a rounded fashion close to the locking nuts - this should help with clearance and possible U bolt damage.

I thought long and hard over the Anderson and Equal-i-zer hitches but for many reasons I just could not go that direction. Hopefully the Blue Ox will work fine, even if I have to buy bigger bars later on - I can, more than what I can say about the Equal-i-zer hitch....
You made an excellent choice. A slightly lighter bar will give you the same WD but a softer ride. I actually have a 1000# set and a 750# depending on how I am loaded.
I actually started with the Equalizer and used for over a year. The trunion bar set up works great as far as WD and sway control however it beats the crap out of you trailer especially if you also have the GYM tires. I had rivets pop and my shower door fell apart .
Following that I switched to the Anderson which was a total disaster. I followed through with their installation instructions including swapping out the coupler. It gave a fair WD performance after much experimenting with chain lengths and such but it had absolutely no sway control. The basic design is flawed. After a harrowing white knuckled ride with stiff cross winds out west last year I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Reinstalled the original coupler and bought the BO and haven't looked back. The Blue Ox works great. And I am speaking from some hard earned experience.
__________________
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
You made an excellent choice. A slightly lighter bar will give you the same WD but a softer ride. I actually have a 1000# set and a 750# depending on how I am loaded.
I actually started with the Equalizer and used for over a year. The trunion bar set up works great as far as WD and sway control however it beats the crap out of you trailer especially if you also have the GYM tires. I had rivets pop and my shower door fell apart .
Following that I switched to the Anderson which was a total disaster. I followed through with their installation instructions including swapping out the coupler. It gave a fair WD performance after much experimenting with chain lengths and such but it had absolutely no sway control. The basic design is flawed. After a harrowing white knuckled ride with stiff cross winds out west last year I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Reinstalled the original coupler and bought the BO and haven't looked back. The Blue Ox works great. And I am speaking from some hard earned experience.
PS: Anyone interested in an Equalizer hitch with 1000# or and Anderson hitch contact me and you can have them for the price shipping to you from the Chicago area.
__________________
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #28
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
-- snip -- give you the same WD but a softer ride. The Blue Ox works great. And I am speaking from some hard earned experience.
Thanks for sharing your experience. The point you make about the same WD is a point of interest as well. It parallels the experience of the Reese users, but it is not logical to me that a set of bars, which are lighter than the load, will transfer enough weight. Can you expand on your thoughts?

Travel safe. Pat
__________________

__________________
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"How tight is the WDH?" FreshAir Hitches, Couplers & Balls 3 04-29-2008 04:36 PM
WDH spring bar Grease Caps FreshAir Hitches, Couplers & Balls 7 02-19-2008 03:54 PM
Reese Dual-cam WDH vs. Equal-i-zer Hitch AndyPenny Hitches, Couplers & Balls 20 02-18-2008 11:22 AM
Hitch Spring Weight on WDH (Reese vs. Equal-i-zer) AndyPenny Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 11-09-2007 05:05 PM
Newbie WDH question/advice myoung Hitches, Couplers & Balls 41 01-09-2006 10:12 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.