Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
The Villages , Florida
Blue Ox Sway Pro question

We just picked up our new (to us) 2013 International Signature 27FB. Towing with a 2010 Tundra SR5 4x4 5.7 and Blue Ox Sway Pro. The dealer set it up pretty well and it towed nicely the 90 or so miles back home (very windy day, no real issues.) Hitched up with 4 full links showing on the BOSP chains, correct (looking) curve on spring bars- see pic.

We weighed the truck alone on the way there and the entire rig on the way back.

Our CAT scale numbers were:

TV alone- front 3,560 lb; rear 2,600 lb; gross 6,160 lb.

TV + Airstream- front 3,440 lb; rear 3,500 lb (includes BOSP plus old Fastway hitch in bed); trailer 5,260 lb; gross total 12,200 lb.

My question is, should I pull up the bars to 3 links showing to bring the front axle weight up?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring bars.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	260300  
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Scott, you probably should wait until both truck and trailer are loaded for camping, then re-weigh and re-adjust at that time. When we set up your rig, you and I had chatted about getting it close, but it would probably have to be adjusted when you loaded it. You would want more links dangling, not less, to put more weight on the front axle. If you have 4 links dangling now, you would want 5.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Puyallup , Washington
I'm towing the same trailer with an LR4 and I do seven chain links through the latch, which I believe means four are showing. Lots of figures play into what setup to do. My key factor was what made it tow better. Did you also check what weight your bars are? There is a dot system on the bars to tell you. Go to the blu ox site to decode. I would be interested to hear the results as you adjust set ups.
SeaAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAirstream View Post
I'm towing the same trailer with an LR4 and I do seven chain links through the latch, which I believe means four are showing. Lots of figures play into what setup to do. My key factor was what made it tow better. Did you also check what weight your bars are? There is a dot system on the bars to tell you. Go to the blu ox site to decode. I would be interested to hear the results as you adjust set ups.
His bars are 1000#.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
The Villages , Florida
Thanks Terry. So having 5 links showing (between the latch and the bar) would put more weight on the Tundra front axle than 4?
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I thought the more distribution meaning more tension on the bars is throwing weight to the trailer axle and the front axle, hence away from the rear axle for the tow vehicle and the tongue weight. Any insight would be appreciated because I continue to be confused and play with my set up. Thanks for this thread!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
This issue is addressed in the other Blue Ox thread. It is a bit confusing as some folks count from u-bolt and some from end of chain. Best is to count from u-bolt. Fewer links from u-bolt give more force preload on the bars and therefore more weight distribution to front axle on TV and rear axle on trailer. Important trailer is level and that there is at least 2 inches of bend in the tow bars. Tow bars should be weight matched for the tongue weight. Dots on bars identify weight rating. A CAT scale is your friend. Spend some time with the weigh desk and explain that you want to weigh the front and rear TV axles as well as each of the trailer axles. There are three pads so it takes at least two weights to get the required measurements. Most folks weigh the TV empty, the trailer and TV hitched, but without weight distribution and the trailer and TV hitched with weight distribution. The weights are an iterative process to get all as you want to tune the rig. Spend time reading all of the Blue Ox threads. There are several.

Good luck and safe towing. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Thank you, Pat, this is a great share.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You are welcome - note the cautions that loaded bars have significant energy stored. Best to use a socket wrench in place of the OEM wrench as it allows you to stand back from the hitch when setting and releasing the tension. Keep the rotating brackets tight so they do not come off. Use the tongue jack to raise the trailer and tow vehicle so the bars are unloaded before you release them. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
Just to back-up Pat's comments, once I started using the tongue jack to raise up the front of the AS quite a bit, and used a 1/2" breaker bar and a 6 point socket instead of the BO wrench, life became much easier. And don't forget, the BOSP owners manual says to start at 3 complete chain links showing below the bracket and then adjust from there if needed. More links visible means less weight transfer back on the front axle of the TV. And the Cat Scale weights are invaluable. Jim
Jmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAirstream View Post
I thought the more distribution meaning more tension on the bars is throwing weight to the trailer axle and the front axle, hence away from the rear axle for the tow vehicle and the tongue weight. Any insight would be appreciated because I continue to be confused and play with my set up. Thanks for this thread!
You are correct, the tighter you draw it the more weight distribution and also more sway control (along with a stiffer ride). You also will have to be more aggressive in raising the back of the TV with the hitch to be able to set the chain tighter.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote