Old 06-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
For PKI: Thanks Pat, it has been 42 years since we camped at Jasper when we lived in Edmonton and usually had the campground to ourselves. We are thinking about heading that direction through BC and return via Jasper/Banff. Thank you for the report, much appreciated!

Steve

Old 09-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
Ventura , California
I'm thinking about getting a SwayPro setup for my 23' Argosy and old Tundra 4.7L.

What do owners of older trailers do about the propane line that comes out from underneath the trailer and along the bottom of the trailer tongue?

My propane line turns to connect to the tanks at almost-exactly the 29"-from-the-ball point where the SwayPro wants to put its brackets.

Do folks relocate the propane line, or is there another way around this?

Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I removed the clamps holding the propane line. They were attached with screws. That gave the required slack to slightly pull the line down. Attached the brackets and reattached the clamps.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:04 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
Ventura , California
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought to try that.

OTOH, I only just realized that the clamp-on latches don't actually wrap around underneath the trailer tongue, and so I should be OK if the latches are 4-inches or less wide (or else they might hit the back of the propane tank tray).
Old 09-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Latches just slide on and have a locking bolt. be careful though you can bust your knuckles on the tank cover when turing the locks to connect or remove the spring bars
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #118
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRider View Post
Latches just slide on and have a locking bolt. be careful though you can bust your knuckles on the tank cover when turing the locks to connect or remove the spring bars
This can in fact happen. But, if you test it first you can tell if there is too much pressure to safely remove. If it is, just raise the tongue a bit more. I almost broke my elbow once because I didn't realize how much pressure there was.

Another thing I did was to buy a 1" socket and a 24" breaker bar. I have a lot more control than with that dinky handle (which is somewhere near Stanley, ID).
Old 09-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
I got a nice introduction into the world of this hitch. Too much pressure when I went to disconnect bars, sweaty hands and tool hit me in the head. I've learned a lot since then, namely which way to count links. I also got a 24" breaker bar, extension and socket to replace the BO tool. Just put on a Husky tongue jack last week (5000lb lift). And today when I lifted TT and TV to connect bars I could lock them by hand!
Old 09-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I got a nice introduction into the world of this hitch. Too much pressure when I went to disconnect bars, sweaty hands and tool hit me in the head. I've learned a lot since then, namely which way to count links. I also got a 24" breaker bar, extension and socket to replace the BO tool. Just put on a Husky tongue jack last week (5000lb lift). And today when I lifted TT and TV to connect bars I could lock them by hand!
I know that had to have hurt. After I lost the BO tool, I had to jack the trailer up as far as I could to be able to rotate the locks by hand.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ditto, if under normal straight flat conditions you have to force the brackets to release or hook up - stop and reevaluate the situation. Either the tongue needs to go higher or sometimes it is best to wait to attach or disconnect the chains after temporarily moving to a straight flat spot. And this can not be stressed enough always check the brackets for correct tightness prior to attempting to hook up. Safety first!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #122
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Ditto, if under normal straight flat conditions you have to force the brackets to release or hook up - stop and reevaluate the situation. Either the tongue needs to go higher or sometimes it is best to wait to attach or disconnect the chains after temporarily moving to a straight flat spot. And this can not be stressed enough always check the brackets for correct tightness prior to attempting to hook up. Safety first!
Good advice there Chief. I know you narrowly avoided a serious injury with yours.

John
Old 09-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Good advice there Chief. I know you narrowly avoided a serious injury with yours.

John
Still gun shy but using the socket with offset extension and cheater bar keeps my face away from the brackets.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have a question for you Blue Ox users. Do you happen to know if your swivel tubes (what the spring bars snap into) have some.....not sure the best way to describe....I'll call it vertical play. Mine have some wiggle to them and for some reason I started to worry something was off.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mine has some play in them. Nothing new, they came that way.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I have a question for you Blue Ox users. Do you happen to know if your swivel tubes (what the spring bars snap into) have some.....not sure the best way to describe....I'll call it vertical play. Mine have some wiggle to them and for some reason I started to worry something was off.

Thanks
Mine seem to have a bit of verticle deflection when they need grease. After I grease them, the deflection isn't noticeable. I don't know how one would tell if they are out of spec. I'm guessing a call to Blue customer service might answer the question.

Mike