Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #81
laketime
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
Blue Ox on order

After a week of intensive research I sold my monster Hensley and ordered me a new Blue Ox Swaypro yesterday. The Hensley is a very functional hitch and I have nothing bad to say about it but it's just too much of too much for me.... glad it's gone. I did consider the Andersen No Sway but it seemed a little to light for my 30ft Classic. For what it's worth I talked to Andersen via email about the issue of the Andersen damaging some couplers ... they told me that is a myth and is not true. I have the quote saved I can forward in a private message if anybody is interested.
__________________

laketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 264
Images: 1
Just a heads up on the BOSP with HD trucks (based on my experience) - you really have to lift the truck/trailer high to get enough "slack" to engage the desired chain link in the rotating bracket. The issue is keeping the chain engaged while attempting to rotate the bracket.

My 2016 came with an Atwood 3000# Premier jack, and it was not robust enough to raise my 30FC and Ram 2500 CTD high enough to use link 9 (from the open end) on the chains reliably. The gears would disengage on the jack (as designed feature to keep from tearing up the jack). I replaced it with the 4000# model with much better results.

It's not a matter of a bigger lever, but one of the basic geometry of the BO design.

Interestingly, the instructions for the Atwood jack mention this very issue with HD trucks and recommend the heavier rated model.
__________________

__________________
Keith & Barb
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2016 Ram 2500 diesel
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #83
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,669
How many links are there on that chain?

Some folks count from the chain end and others from the u-bolt on the bar end. The link reference from the chain end had me perplexed as we count the other way. So, I took the time to count links in both directions. We use 9 links from the bar, which is 7 links from the chain end, for a 16 chain link total. These are the 750 lb (2 dot) bars. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #84
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,278
Images: 33
As suggested by Blue Ox when I called them I count 7 links from the end of the chain and hook the 8th in the bracket.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #85
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar
 
2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,310
When I read the install instructions for the Blue Ox it states to set the tow vehicle ball 1" to 2" above the leveled trailer tongue.

Has that been an issue raising the trailer high enough to hitch up on uneven campsites?

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 264
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
When I read the install instructions for the Blue Ox it states to set the tow vehicle ball 1" to 2" above the leveled trailer tongue.

Has that been an issue raising the trailer high enough to hitch up on uneven campsites?

Kelvin
Not clearing the ball, but getting it high enough to engage the chains in the brackets is. The 4000# Atwood jack I installed also has another 5-6" of lift compared to the 3000# version.
__________________
Keith & Barb
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2016 Ram 2500 diesel
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 373
I am seriously considering the Blue Ox Sway Pro for our 2007 Lexus GX 470 and FC 23D.

Can someone point me to where I can find out how to set up the Blue Ox with the GX Rear Load Leveling Suspension? Specifically, how to get the ball height properly adjusted when first getting it setup.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #88
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,278
Images: 33
On my Jeep the air suspension can be temporarily turned off for hook up and tire changing. Might the Lexus have the same option?
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 373
I can turn it off but not sure at what height. The manual says to put in lo and turn it off for hitching and unhitching. What I am trying to figure out is what level for the initial setup?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #90
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,278
Images: 33
At the house I run mine all the way up to off-road 2 setting. It raises the Jeep 5 inches from normal ride height. Gives me room to clear the end of my steep driveway entrance once a load is put on the rear end. Once I pull out it automatically lowers the suspension to normal ride height at 10 MPH. On a relatively flat surface I raise the Jeep to off road 1 ride height and lock the suspension. Once moving the suspension will reset and adjust to a level ride. Reverse the process for unhooking. I think you will have to play around with your suspension and see what works best for you. Once I figured out to raise the jack up to almost lifting the rear of the Jeep off the ground hooking up and unhooking has become a relatively drama free exercise.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member
 
Hiho Silver's Avatar
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
Just a heads up on the BOSP with HD trucks (based on my experience) - you really have to lift the truck/trailer high to get enough "slack" to engage the desired chain link in the rotating bracket. The issue is keeping the chain engaged while attempting to rotate the bracket.

My 2016 came with an Atwood 3000# Premier jack, and it was not robust enough to raise my 30FC and Ram 2500 CTD high enough to use link 9 (from the open end) on the chains reliably. The gears would disengage on the jack (as designed feature to keep from tearing up the jack). I replaced it with the 4000# model with much better results.

It's not a matter of a bigger lever, but one of the basic geometry of the BO design.

Interestingly, the instructions for the Atwood jack mention this very issue with HD trucks and recommend the heavier rated model.
Keith, Did your Atwood 4000 come with the robofoot. If so, does it help with lifting to the desired height. I am thinking of upgrading from the 3000 so I can get more height when hitching up my BOSP. With the 3000 I have to make sure to put as many blocks as possible under the foot without being to high to lower onto the ball. The foot on my 2016 FC is not the robofoot. I'm wondering if there may be an issue with using the robofoot on an Airstream. The foot I have on my 3000 has 3 holes for adjustments, but I'm wondering if the robofoot may give you more height.
Thanks
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 264
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Keith, Did your Atwood 4000 come with the robofoot. If so, does it help with lifting to the desired height. I am thinking of upgrading from the 3000 so I can get more height when hitching up my BOSP. With the 3000 I have to make sure to put as many blocks as possible under the foot without being to high to lower onto the ball. The foot on my 2016 FC is not the robofoot. I'm wondering if there may be an issue with using the robofoot on an Airstream. The foot I have on my 3000 has 3 holes for adjustments, but I'm wondering if the robofoot may give you more height.

Thanks

Yeah it did but I never tried it - sold it with the old jack. I have a aluminum jack base I use that I bought years ago at the FL rally so I don't use any foot on the jack itself. The 4000 is longer than the 3000


Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
Keith & Barb
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2016 Ram 2500 diesel
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #93
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,669
We need to adjust our hitch a bit. New tires give us more ground clearance. The stinger has holes 1.5 in center to center. We need to raise the head about 3/4 in to maintain the trailer level. So, how?

1) is there a stinger that is offset above and below the receiver center line so it provides a half step raise?

2) is it appropriate to install a raised ball?

3) is the 3/4 in lower tongue an acceptable configuration for the rig?

Follow-up question. Does any company produce lighter weight stinger? Would like to find one that will deal with 6000#s, but is not as heavy as a lead weight.

Any info is appreciated. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #94
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,669
Measured the stinger again and the center to center hole distance is 1.25" and not 1.5" so we have some figuring to do. Hummmm.

E-trailer has a stinger that is constructed from tube and therefore should be lighter than the solid stingers. That may address the follow-up question above.

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #95
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,278
Images: 33
Pat, why don't you give Blue Ox CS a call. They were very helpful with my set up and subsequent sissues.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #96
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,669
AW, you and a certain close relative seem to think a lot alike. Certainly worth the price of a phone call. Nice to hear from you. Thanks Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member
 
HD Pilot's Avatar
 
2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 53
Been a few months since this Thread has been added to but maybe Pat(PKI) is still "watching"? Anyway, I will be getting a 2017 23FB next month which has the same hitch weight as your 2015 23FB of 467 lbs. I know this number will go up some with water, gear, etc but was wondering if you ever thought/wished you had gone with the 550 lb BO bars instead of the 750 lb ones?

I called BO yesterday and got the felling it was a close call on which way to go....

Thanks, Alan.
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 138
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
I am seriously considering the Blue Ox Sway Pro for our 2007 Lexus GX 470 and FC 23D.

Can someone point me to where I can find out how to set up the Blue Ox with the GX Rear Load Leveling Suspension? Specifically, how to get the ball height properly adjusted when first getting it setup.
etrailer.com has a very good how to video. measure your tow vehicle height at all for fenders, set the ball about 1 inch higher than your trailer ball (when the trailer is level and you are ready to begin.

The whole process only takes about 30 minutes. I find the Blue Ox much easier to hook up when we are traveling - Blue ox also has a web site and will provide assistance over the phone.
__________________
2014 Flying Cloud 25FB
2018 Ram 2500; Diesel
Blue Ox WDH
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 AM   #99
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Pilot View Post
Been a few months since this Thread has been added to but maybe Pat(PKI) is still "watching"? Anyway, I will be getting a 2017 23FB next month which has the same hitch weight as your 2015 23FB of 467 lbs. I know this number will go up some with water, gear, etc but was wondering if you ever thought/wished you had gone with the 550 lb BO bars instead of the 750 lb ones?

I called BO yesterday and got the felling it was a close call on which way to go....

Thanks, Alan.
No, the 750s are about right. Tongue weight gets to 600 quickly and we work to keep it under that. Unless you load no fresh water and not much in the storage under the bed, yours will grow too. I am counting the BOSP hitch weight as tongue weight. Some folks do not, but my concern is the receiver load as well as what the rear axle sees. That may not be an issue for you.

If you want to transfer weight you need the 750s. If you only want to have a bit of sway control and really travel light, maybe the 550s will work. My concern would be not enough sway control, but when I talked to BO they recommended moving to the weight range that matched the tongue weight. 600 is over 550, so you end up with 750s.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #100
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Here is one data point. I am using the BO with 550 bars on what turns out to be an actual tongue of 580/600 according to the CAT scale. I am still able to achieve 100% FALR, again according to the CAT scale. So a guess is there is "some overlap" in the applicability of the different weight bars.
__________________

__________________
my badge of honor here:
"a genius nanny boy that drools in public"

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue ox sway pro Sjcjr Hitches, Couplers & Balls 31 08-02-2017 03:11 PM
Blue Ox Sway Pro W/D System Ganglin Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 46 01-07-2017 09:17 PM
Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch vs Blue Ox Sway Pro airstreampek Hitches, Couplers & Balls 31 06-18-2014 11:56 PM
Reese Pro Series SC WD/Sway control tetstream Hitches, Couplers & Balls 3 06-28-2011 10:20 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×