Old 07-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Drive a 2011 Jeep GC Overland 4X4 Hemi. The air suspension can only be turned off for hookup and unhooking. At 15 MPH it turns itself back on and resumes normal ride height and leveling. Sometimes the so called experts can be out of touch with modern technology.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What are the loaded hitch weight of your 25s? My 2008 Classic 25fb is 1100-1200lbs. Blue Ox recommended the 1500s bars vs 1000lb bars or my application.

My Tundra's receiver is 16 3/4" off the ground measured to the lower opening. Which shank would I need? Is the 7 hole the best choice?
Kelvin

We have a Flying Cloud 30 and use the Sway Pro with 1000lb bars. I'm pretty sure my loaded tongue weight is over 1000lbs, but I did not want to jump up to the 1500lb bars. I read several places that you really need to load the bars up and get some good bow in them to see the anti-sway benefits. My bars are likely fully loaded and still not distributing all the weight, but I think it gives me better sway control and a softer ride. I'm still experimenting with it some though. I'm afraid I would not be placing enough tension on the 1500lb bars to get good sway control.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I have 1000lb bars on my Equalizer and feel I don't have enough weight distribution either. Having to take the head apart to insert another washer is a chore because you have to torque the bolts up to 350+lbs then with the head angled down more its harder to hitch because you have to raise the coupler with the truck attached higher to get the bars on the L brackets. Already in some campsites I've had to raise he trailer to where I'm almost at the end of the jack travel and the truck tires are almost off the ground.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #32

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Drive a 2011 Jeep GC Overland 4X4 Hemi. The air suspension can only be turned off for hookup and unhooking. At 15 MPH it turns itself back on and resumes normal ride height and leveling. Sometimes the so called experts can be out of touch with modern technology.
Well, we're playing a game of telephone here, with a poster relaying the message from a vendor. The general thing with modern air suspensions seems to be that they need to be either disabled or set to a specific mode (as recommended by the owner's manual) for setting up a weight-distro hitch, then turned on once hitched. Otherwise it's hard to figure out whether the weight distribution gear or the air shocks are doing the leveling, and the air suspension on its own is incapable of transferring load to the steering axle.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Well, we're playing a game of telephone here, with a poster relaying the message from a vendor. The general thing with modern air suspensions seems to be that they need to be either disabled or set to a specific mode (as recommended by the owner's manual) for setting up a weight-distro hitch, then turned on once hitched. Otherwise it's hard to figure out whether the weight distribution gear or the air shocks are doing the leveling, and the air suspension on its own is incapable of transferring load to the steering axle.
I shut my Range Rover down when I get the hitch ball under the tongue and don't plug in the 7-way. I lower the tongue on the hitch ball and the Rover settles and levels so the only way is to use trial and error or scales to dial it in. As I stated in an earlier post I found my sweet spot and can tell when driving if I need to take up an additional link or slack off one. I can't find where my owners manual specifies how to deal with the air suspension when hooking up WD.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #34

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
I shut my Range Rover down when I get the hitch ball under the tongue and don't plug in the 7-way. I lower the tongue on the hitch ball and the Rover settles and levels so the only way is to use trial and error or scales to dial it in. As I stated in an earlier post I found my sweet spot and can tell when driving if I need to take up an additional link or slack off one. I can't find where my owners manual specifies how to deal with the air suspension when hooking up WD.
Yeah, the '13 Range Rover manual (I just picked that year out of a hat) doesn't mention weight distribution at all, the "Handbook Supplement" on their site that covers towing says they only recommend a 551-lb tongue weight, so at that weight they probably don't need weight distro and they won't offer recommendations for going over.

One vehicle for which I've read (on towing threads) a detailed process for setting the air suspension to a static mode before setting up WD is the Grand Cherokee, but that may be apocryphal because looking up the 2014 owner's manual shows detailed references to weight-distribution hitches and overall recommendations about setup but no detailed procedure and no mention of the air suspension, so it may be a "tribal knowledge" thing people are passing around rather than a manufacturer's recommendation as I remember it being described.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Temporary disabling the air suspension on a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the Quadra-Trac /Drive II Four-Wheel Drive suspension is very simple. Press both the Down and Park buttons at the same time for approx 10 seconds. There is no way to manually turn the system back on. It will re-activate at 15 miles an hour. My normal process is to raise the Jeep to the 1st Off Road position (that raises the suspension 2 inches front and rear), deactivate the system, using the jack raise the rear of vehicle to relieve tension from bars, hook up the Blue Ox Sway Pro WD system, retract jack, drive around the block until the system re activates, lower the suspension to normal ride height, stop and double check that every thing is as it should be and enjoy my safe comfortable drive. The procedure for disabling the suspension is detailed in the owners manual.

In case there is too great an angle between the the trailer and the Jeep I may have difficulty correctly hooking up the bars. If that happens I attach the coupler to the vehicle, attach safety chains and power plug and retract jack. Pull out until level and then hook up the bars. Procedure is reversed for unhooking.
Others may have a different method or procedure but this is what works for me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Yeah, the '13 Range Rover manual (I just picked that year out of a hat) doesn't mention weight distribution at all, the "Handbook Supplement" on their site that covers towing says they only recommend a 551-lb tongue weight, so at that weight they probably don't need weight distro and they won't offer recommendations for going over.

One vehicle for which I've read (on towing threads) a detailed process for setting the air suspension to a static mode before setting up WD is the Grand Cherokee, but that may be apocryphal because looking up the 2014 owner's manual shows detailed references to weight-distribution hitches and overall recommendations about setup but no detailed procedure and no mention of the air suspension, so it may be a "tribal knowledge" thing people are passing around rather than a manufacturer's recommendation as I remember it being described.
And I thought you had found the silver bullet "as recommended in the owner's manual" that owners of air suspension TVs had missed. ;-)
Old 07-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #37
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
PKI, just re read your post:

snip...snip......... Less links will have more weight on the hitch/TV rear axle.
That sounds correct if links are counted from the loose end of the chain. I've been counting the links rom the U-bolt on the bar.

The Blue Ox Sway Pro manual that AWCHIEF posted states that about 2in of bend is needed to provide sway control. Got to take a look at that parameter when we hitch up.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I was told by Blue Ox to count the links from the u-bolt. I count up 7 and the 8th link is captured in the bracket.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Ok, understood. Just the opposite of what my Airstream dealer tech walked me through on the set up, he had me count from the bitter end. Good to know on the 2" deflection of the bar. I will measure mine in the morning as we are camped for the night and I need my beauty sleep.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Ok, understood. Just the opposite of what my Airstream dealer tech walked me through on the set up, he had me count from the bitter end. Good to know on the 2" deflection of the bar. I will measure mine in the morning as we are camped for the night and I need my beauty sleep.

Mine did not exactly give me the best or most accurate set up and use information either. That is why I called Blue Ox several times for guidance. They have excellent phone CS.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #41
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Cat Scale use - how to get left and right wheel weights?

This is a bit off thread, but related. My apology if there is a dedicated thread and I'd appreciate a link if there is one.

How do you weigh on a CAT scales? They have three pads and are designed to weigh the tractor front axle, rear axles, and trailer axles. Is the distance on the pads compatible with the TV front axle on the front pad, the TV rear axle on the second pad, and the trailer axles on the third pad? Can you then pull forward to split the trailer axles between the second and third pads? Any way to get left and right wheel loads, since there is an arch over the scales?

Appreciate any info. Thanks Pat
Old 07-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Chief, been deciding what to get for my '79 23' safari. Was considering the BlueOx, I'll take the chiefs endorsement and go with it when I buy.

PKI, where the wheels line up depends on the length of the TV and trailer. Usually there's a speaker by the scale to talk to the attendant, or you could walk in and talk them and tell them what you're doing. Line up to get the weights you want, if you need to line up twice to get different weights just tell the attendant. They may charge you twice, but it's not too expensive. You won't be able to get left right weights, the load cells aren't set up to provide that information to the attendant. You may have to do a little math with what you get to figure out exactly what you're trying to figure out. Getting a weight of just the TV by itself is good to have as well.