Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,798
Images: 33
Drive a 2011 Jeep GC Overland 4X4 Hemi. The air suspension can only be turned off for hookup and unhooking. At 15 MPH it turns itself back on and resumes normal ride height and leveling. Sometimes the so called experts can be out of touch with modern technology.
__________________

__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
Echelon73's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What are the loaded hitch weight of your 25s? My 2008 Classic 25fb is 1100-1200lbs. Blue Ox recommended the 1500s bars vs 1000lb bars or my application.

My Tundra's receiver is 16 3/4" off the ground measured to the lower opening. Which shank would I need? Is the 7 hole the best choice?
Kelvin

We have a Flying Cloud 30 and use the Sway Pro with 1000lb bars. I'm pretty sure my loaded tongue weight is over 1000lbs, but I did not want to jump up to the 1500lb bars. I read several places that you really need to load the bars up and get some good bow in them to see the anti-sway benefits. My bars are likely fully loaded and still not distributing all the weight, but I think it gives me better sway control and a softer ride. I'm still experimenting with it some though. I'm afraid I would not be placing enough tension on the 1500lb bars to get good sway control.
__________________

__________________
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,107
I have 1000lb bars on my Equalizer and feel I don't have enough weight distribution either. Having to take the head apart to insert another washer is a chore because you have to torque the bolts up to 350+lbs then with the head angled down more its harder to hitch because you have to raise the coupler with the truck attached higher to get the bars on the L brackets. Already in some campsites I've had to raise he trailer to where I'm almost at the end of the jack travel and the truck tires are almost off the ground.

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #32
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,228
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Drive a 2011 Jeep GC Overland 4X4 Hemi. The air suspension can only be turned off for hookup and unhooking. At 15 MPH it turns itself back on and resumes normal ride height and leveling. Sometimes the so called experts can be out of touch with modern technology.
Well, we're playing a game of telephone here, with a poster relaying the message from a vendor. The general thing with modern air suspensions seems to be that they need to be either disabled or set to a specific mode (as recommended by the owner's manual) for setting up a weight-distro hitch, then turned on once hitched. Otherwise it's hard to figure out whether the weight distribution gear or the air shocks are doing the leveling, and the air suspension on its own is incapable of transferring load to the steering axle.
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
 
NWRVR's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 323
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Well, we're playing a game of telephone here, with a poster relaying the message from a vendor. The general thing with modern air suspensions seems to be that they need to be either disabled or set to a specific mode (as recommended by the owner's manual) for setting up a weight-distro hitch, then turned on once hitched. Otherwise it's hard to figure out whether the weight distribution gear or the air shocks are doing the leveling, and the air suspension on its own is incapable of transferring load to the steering axle.
I shut my Range Rover down when I get the hitch ball under the tongue and don't plug in the 7-way. I lower the tongue on the hitch ball and the Rover settles and levels so the only way is to use trial and error or scales to dial it in. As I stated in an earlier post I found my sweet spot and can tell when driving if I need to take up an additional link or slack off one. I can't find where my owners manual specifies how to deal with the air suspension when hooking up WD.
__________________
2015 Classic 30A, Blue OX Sway Pro, 2016 F350 4x4 Ultimate Lariat crew cab SRW, LWB, 6.7 PSD, 20" wheels, Ingot Silver Metallic, DiamondBack tonneau cover, TrailFX wheel-to-wheel step bars.
Sold: 2014 25FB International Serenity
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #34
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,228
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
I shut my Range Rover down when I get the hitch ball under the tongue and don't plug in the 7-way. I lower the tongue on the hitch ball and the Rover settles and levels so the only way is to use trial and error or scales to dial it in. As I stated in an earlier post I found my sweet spot and can tell when driving if I need to take up an additional link or slack off one. I can't find where my owners manual specifies how to deal with the air suspension when hooking up WD.
Yeah, the '13 Range Rover manual (I just picked that year out of a hat) doesn't mention weight distribution at all, the "Handbook Supplement" on their site that covers towing says they only recommend a 551-lb tongue weight, so at that weight they probably don't need weight distro and they won't offer recommendations for going over.

One vehicle for which I've read (on towing threads) a detailed process for setting the air suspension to a static mode before setting up WD is the Grand Cherokee, but that may be apocryphal because looking up the 2014 owner's manual shows detailed references to weight-distribution hitches and overall recommendations about setup but no detailed procedure and no mention of the air suspension, so it may be a "tribal knowledge" thing people are passing around rather than a manufacturer's recommendation as I remember it being described.
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,798
Images: 33
Temporary disabling the air suspension on a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the Quadra-Trac /Drive II Four-Wheel Drive suspension is very simple. Press both the Down and Park buttons at the same time for approx 10 seconds. There is no way to manually turn the system back on. It will re-activate at 15 miles an hour. My normal process is to raise the Jeep to the 1st Off Road position (that raises the suspension 2 inches front and rear), deactivate the system, using the jack raise the rear of vehicle to relieve tension from bars, hook up the Blue Ox Sway Pro WD system, retract jack, drive around the block until the system re activates, lower the suspension to normal ride height, stop and double check that every thing is as it should be and enjoy my safe comfortable drive. The procedure for disabling the suspension is detailed in the owners manual.

In case there is too great an angle between the the trailer and the Jeep I may have difficulty correctly hooking up the bars. If that happens I attach the coupler to the vehicle, attach safety chains and power plug and retract jack. Pull out until level and then hook up the bars. Procedure is reversed for unhooking.
Others may have a different method or procedure but this is what works for me.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member
 
NWRVR's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 323
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Yeah, the '13 Range Rover manual (I just picked that year out of a hat) doesn't mention weight distribution at all, the "Handbook Supplement" on their site that covers towing says they only recommend a 551-lb tongue weight, so at that weight they probably don't need weight distro and they won't offer recommendations for going over.

One vehicle for which I've read (on towing threads) a detailed process for setting the air suspension to a static mode before setting up WD is the Grand Cherokee, but that may be apocryphal because looking up the 2014 owner's manual shows detailed references to weight-distribution hitches and overall recommendations about setup but no detailed procedure and no mention of the air suspension, so it may be a "tribal knowledge" thing people are passing around rather than a manufacturer's recommendation as I remember it being described.
And I thought you had found the silver bullet "as recommended in the owner's manual" that owners of air suspension TVs had missed. ;-)
__________________
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #37
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
PKI, just re read your post:

snip...snip......... Less links will have more weight on the hitch/TV rear axle.
That sounds correct if links are counted from the loose end of the chain. I've been counting the links rom the U-bolt on the bar.

The Blue Ox Sway Pro manual that AWCHIEF posted states that about 2in of bend is needed to provide sway control. Got to take a look at that parameter when we hitch up.
__________________
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,798
Images: 33
I was told by Blue Ox to count the links from the u-bolt. I count up 7 and the 8th link is captured in the bracket.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member
 
NWRVR's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 323
Blog Entries: 2
Ok, understood. Just the opposite of what my Airstream dealer tech walked me through on the set up, he had me count from the bitter end. Good to know on the 2" deflection of the bar. I will measure mine in the morning as we are camped for the night and I need my beauty sleep.
__________________
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,798
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Ok, understood. Just the opposite of what my Airstream dealer tech walked me through on the set up, he had me count from the bitter end. Good to know on the 2" deflection of the bar. I will measure mine in the morning as we are camped for the night and I need my beauty sleep.

Mine did not exactly give me the best or most accurate set up and use information either. That is why I called Blue Ox several times for guidance. They have excellent phone CS.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #41
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,628
Cat Scale use - how to get left and right wheel weights?

This is a bit off thread, but related. My apology if there is a dedicated thread and I'd appreciate a link if there is one.

How do you weigh on a CAT scales? They have three pads and are designed to weigh the tractor front axle, rear axles, and trailer axles. Is the distance on the pads compatible with the TV front axle on the front pad, the TV rear axle on the second pad, and the trailer axles on the third pad? Can you then pull forward to split the trailer axles between the second and third pads? Any way to get left and right wheel loads, since there is an arch over the scales?

Appreciate any info. Thanks Pat
__________________
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,383
Images: 3
Chief, been deciding what to get for my '79 23' safari. Was considering the BlueOx, I'll take the chiefs endorsement and go with it when I buy.

PKI, where the wheels line up depends on the length of the TV and trailer. Usually there's a speaker by the scale to talk to the attendant, or you could walk in and talk them and tell them what you're doing. Line up to get the weights you want, if you need to line up twice to get different weights just tell the attendant. They may charge you twice, but it's not too expensive. You won't be able to get left right weights, the load cells aren't set up to provide that information to the attendant. You may have to do a little math with what you get to figure out exactly what you're trying to figure out. Getting a weight of just the TV by itself is good to have as well.
__________________

__________________
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Ox Sway Pro W/D System Ganglin Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 46 01-07-2017 08:17 PM
Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch vs Blue Ox Sway Pro airstreampek Hitches, Couplers & Balls 31 06-18-2014 10:56 PM
Blue ox sway pro Sjcjr Hitches, Couplers & Balls 30 06-08-2014 11:08 PM
Reese Pro Series SC WD/Sway control tetstream Hitches, Couplers & Balls 3 06-28-2011 09:20 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.