Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #169

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkreis View Post
I have a 2018 F-150 with a 19' AS Int'l Signature 28 RBQ. Installed the BO system. Here is my issue.

When level the trailer receiver hitch is 19" from the ground. When I connect the trailer to the hitch without BO sway bars connected the receiver hitch is 15" from the ground. When I connect the sway bars (at the 9th link) it raises the trailer 2 inches to 17" (level is 19"). This doesn't get the trailer level by 2" I have the hitch ball set up at 2" above the receiver hitch as required. At this set up, I sill have sway from passing semi's and high winds...

I contacted BO and they said to raise my hitch up one hole...this would make the ball about 3 1/2 inches higher than the trailer receiver hitch... Any thoughts??
The drop tells only part of the story, and there's important data missing here. Have you been to a CAT-style scale that gives you the weights on your steer, drive and trailer axles? You should measure that with the tow vehicle alone, the tow+trailer with the weight bars set, and the tow+trailer with the weight bars disconnected. That'll tell you how much force the hitch is redistributing to the axles and may suggest what to do next.

Which bars are you using? (1000 lb or 1500?) Have you tried putting the 10th chain link (from the free end) into the notch on the cam instead of the default 9th link?

Also, you say you have "sway" from passing semis... that may be a terminology issue. When a semi passes, do you feel a push while it's passing that ends when the truck passes? Or does the trailer oscillate back and forth after a truck passes? Most people mean an oscillation when they say "sway" rather than a single shift in response to air pressure (from a crosswind or a passing vehicle.)

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #170
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Additional issues

Tow vehicle receiver flex - verify your receiver is rigid.

Energy release hazard - use tongue jack to minimize spring bar preload and use a long handled breaker bar and 1" socket in place of the OEM flat wrench. Keep your body out of the way so the wrench, chain or spring bar can't hurt you if unexpectedly released.

Good luck with your tune. Pat

PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #171
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
I am using 1,000 lbs bars per BO customer service input, as for sway, you may be correct, that is more of the push and pull from heavy cross winds and semi's as they pass. As for moving the chains up from 9, I have tried and it seems I can't get the chain any further up (yes, I have moved the tongue jack up and down to relieve pressure)...thanks again for everyones input.
Jkreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #172

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkreis View Post
I am using 1,000 lbs bars per BO customer service input, as for sway, you may be correct, that is more of the push and pull from heavy cross winds and semi's as they pass. As for moving the chains up from 9, I have tried and it seems I can't get the chain any further up (yes, I have moved the tongue jack up and down to relieve pressure)...thanks again for everyones input.
One hint for getting that 10th link in... at least on my setup, for whatever reason the driver's side cam usually seems to lock in easier (I suspect I may have a tendency to have the truck slightly turned most of the time) and once I get that locked down it changes the position enough that I can get the 10th link locked in on the passenger's side. YMMV.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #173
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Long breaker bar - 18-24" ..... A cheater bar (pipe that fits around the breaker bar) .... And then there is the nuclear option - a stronger tongue jack with a longer leg or some pads to get more lift. Stay clear!

We also find that number 2 sets easier once number 1 is locked in. Good suggestion. Thanks for sharing that one.

Then there is the megaton option - air bags or shocks to lift the tow vehicle rear end. Not advised without a non-proliferation agreement. Pat

But weigh the axles first. You need too know what you have to get what you need.

PKI is online now   Reply With Quote