Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
When I picked up my airstream from the dealer they set up the blue ox hitch for me and it was set to 3 1/2 links. I'm pretty pleased with the way the airstream tows so haven't messed with it
Old 06-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Did the three-pass routine on the scales with my 2017 FC25FB fully loaded for a six week cross country tour but no water. My Blue Ox Swaypro with 1000# bars was able to restore 340# of weight to the front axle and distribute 160# to the trailer axles of the 820# of tongue weight. These results were with the 10th link from the loose end of the chain in the slot with 2-1/2 links showing under load when connected. This is pretty close to the maximum weight distribution I can get because hooking up the 11th link would be a challenge.

I also re-weighed with full fresh water which added 260# to the trailer axles and no change to the steer and drive axles with weight distribution connected. My Airstream handles best with these settings and full water. Here's the scale tickets:
I did likewise. Moved up two full lengths on the chain or length #7 counting up form the bottom bar (showing now just 2 and a half lengths above the 1000 lb bar). Subsequently, I was able to distribute 200+ lbs to the front axel and off the drive axel of my tow vehicle. Balance, load, and steering are perfect and on my heavily optioned Platinum, we now have very adequate payload! And, Zero sway on the interstate. My F-150 Platinum, BO Swaypro, and 25 FC are all now totally synchronous and tow beautifully.
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
I did likewise. Moved up two full lengths on the chain or length #7 counting up form the bottom bar (showing now just 2 and a half lengths above the 1000 lb bar). Subsequently, I was able to distribute 200+ lbs to the front axel and off the drive axel of my tow vehicle. Balance, load, and steering are perfect and on my heavily optioned Platinum, we now have very adequate payload! And, Zero sway on the interstate. My F-150 Platinum, BO Swaypro, and 25 FC are all now totally synchronous and tow beautifully.
FACT: I have moved up to the 11th link from the loose end which results in 1-1/2 links showing under the latches with 1000# bars on a 25' FC and now also have zero sway on the interstate, no bow push from passing big rigs, don't notice stiff winds . . . The handling improvement from that extra link was stunning.

I CAT scaled this setup and now my front axle weight is completely restored. Here are my weights, which can be compared to my above posted weight tickets. Steer Axle 4680#, Drive Axle 4260#, Trailer Axle 6140#. As you can see a few more items were added to the trailer during the trip, but the truck is loaded identical to my above posted weight tickets.

OPINION: I think restoring the front axle weight is the key. Weigh your tow vehicle without your Airstream attached. Hook up your Airstream and crank up the links until your front axles weight is restored with the Airstream attached. For me, it was the 11th link from the loose end with 1000# bars verified by CAT scale.

You can approximate weight restoration by fender measurements, but I prefer to see the actual results with a CAT scale. Measure your front fender height without the Airstream attached. Attach the Airstream and crank up the links until your front fender height matches your unhooked height.

If you cannot restore your front axle weight (or height) with additional links, you need heavier weighted bars. If your bars are not deflecting 2" (per instructions) to restore the weight, you need lighter weighted bars.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #164
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
old style BOSP hitch - warning

Notice - there is a Texas dealer that had three old style BOSP hitches in stock. Do not purchase these. One was recently sold to a customer who thought they were getting the new hitch. The old design has an adjustable head, a solid shank, and side tilt chain tighteners. Get latest version of hitch. You will be much happier. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #165

2016 16' Flying Cloud
Trempealeau , Wisconsin
Popping rivets

I was told by my dealer that if you get the chain links too tight, you can pop reverts. Any truth to that?
Python1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #166
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python1946 View Post
I was told by my dealer that if you get the chain links too tight, you can pop reverts. Any truth to that?
First - it is unlikely that a Blue Ox hitch with the correct size spring bars for a 16ft Sport will have significant rivet shearing problems.

The issue is that rivets pop when a shock is transferred to the coach shell that the rivet can not withstand. So you want the most flexibility that is possible and still balance the tongue weight for maximum stability.

The chain tension preloads the spring bars and is required to transfer enough weight to return directional control to the tow vehicle steer axle. You can assume that if you need the weight transfer, you can't make the chains too tight. However, too much weight transfer removes weight from the rear axle and unbalances the rig.

As you reach the end of the spring bar weight range capacity, you will need to go to the next bar size. The consideration is that you want enough bar to transfer the weight you need, but only just enough. Too much makes, the hitch stiffer than it needs to be and will contribute to sheared rivets.

A Blue Ox is generally a flexible hitch, so you are in a good starting place to tune the rig. Note - use a CAT scale to measure your axle loading. It is your friend.

Note as well that if you use your coach, some rivets will shear. Sometimes it's how they were installed and in other cases it's due to a chuck hole hit too hard or repeated vibration on a stressed rivet. They are not hard to replace and the important agenda is to safely use your coach. Pat
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
I have a 2018 F-150 with a 19' AS Int'l Signature 28 RBQ. Installed the BO system. Here is my issue.

When level the trailer receiver hitch is 19" from the ground. When I connect the trailer to the hitch without BO sway bars connected the receiver hitch is 15" from the ground. When I connect the sway bars (at the 9th link) it raises the trailer 2 inches to 17" (level is 19"). This doesn't get the trailer level by 2" I have the hitch ball set up at 2" above the receiver hitch as required. At this set up, I sill have sway from passing semi's and high winds...

I contacted BO and they said to raise my hitch up one hole...this would make the ball about 3 1/2 inches higher than the trailer receiver hitch... Any thoughts??
Jkreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #168
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
JK - the 28 is suspected to be a heavy tow. The BOSP is a flexible hitch. On some rigs it has difficulty moving enough weight to make the rig balanced.

A 4in drop is a lot, so that indicates significant tongue weight. A return of 2in is a start, but maybe not enough.

Options - raising ball shifts the level of coach, but might not help with much of a weight shift. That may be all that you can do, but a few other options might help.

Additional links - several folks have found they needed to go to 10/11 links.

Heavier spring bars - if more links are not enough to shift the required weight, go to heavier spring bars. The axle weights as measured on a CAT scale help to discover the impact of your adjustments.

Also, note that you do not want to off-load the TV rear axle too much and place it out of balance. Not likely, but you have to check.

If your hitch shank is long and many BOSP OEM shanks are, adding a pin hole to move the ball closer to the bumper has a positive impact on controlling sway. But do that mod after you get the hitch tune close. Shorter leverage has an impact on weight transfer too.

The weight in the TV bed needs to be in front of the rear axle to reduce what weight must be lifted. You can optimize your bed space by storing large light weight items toward the rear of the bed. The BO CS rep that I talked to ignored this issue. You should not.

Review your payload. Review your tongue weight and load heavy gear over the trailer axles and as close to the floor as possible. Load as little as possible behind the axles and limit the tongue weight to 10-15% of gross.

BOSP does not eliminate sway. It controls sway. It does not totally dampen all semi bow wave wiggle. If you want perfect, the PPP hitches help, but they need some tuning too.

Travel speed makes a difference. Extra wind may require slowing. If you are traveling over 65mph, start by reducing your speed until the hitch tune gives you best stability.

The stability control on some vehicles can cause a conflict. It corrects when the rig moves. The sway control on the BOSP needs movement to build sway resistance force. Some live with this, some turn out off and some get it all tuned to work and understand what is doing what and when.

Good luck with your tune. Pat
Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #169

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkreis View Post
I have a 2018 F-150 with a 19' AS Int'l Signature 28 RBQ. Installed the BO system. Here is my issue.

When level the trailer receiver hitch is 19" from the ground. When I connect the trailer to the hitch without BO sway bars connected the receiver hitch is 15" from the ground. When I connect the sway bars (at the 9th link) it raises the trailer 2 inches to 17" (level is 19"). This doesn't get the trailer level by 2" I have the hitch ball set up at 2" above the receiver hitch as required. At this set up, I sill have sway from passing semi's and high winds...

I contacted BO and they said to raise my hitch up one hole...this would make the ball about 3 1/2 inches higher than the trailer receiver hitch... Any thoughts??
The drop tells only part of the story, and there's important data missing here. Have you been to a CAT-style scale that gives you the weights on your steer, drive and trailer axles? You should measure that with the tow vehicle alone, the tow+trailer with the weight bars set, and the tow+trailer with the weight bars disconnected. That'll tell you how much force the hitch is redistributing to the axles and may suggest what to do next.

Which bars are you using? (1000 lb or 1500?) Have you tried putting the 10th chain link (from the free end) into the notch on the cam instead of the default 9th link?

Also, you say you have "sway" from passing semis... that may be a terminology issue. When a semi passes, do you feel a push while it's passing that ends when the truck passes? Or does the trailer oscillate back and forth after a truck passes? Most people mean an oscillation when they say "sway" rather than a single shift in response to air pressure (from a crosswind or a passing vehicle.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #170
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Additional issues

Tow vehicle receiver flex - verify your receiver is rigid.

Energy release hazard - use tongue jack to minimize spring bar preload and use a long handled breaker bar and 1" socket in place of the OEM flat wrench. Keep your body out of the way so the wrench, chain or spring bar can't hurt you if unexpectedly released.

Good luck with your tune. Pat
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #171
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
I am using 1,000 lbs bars per BO customer service input, as for sway, you may be correct, that is more of the push and pull from heavy cross winds and semi's as they pass. As for moving the chains up from 9, I have tried and it seems I can't get the chain any further up (yes, I have moved the tongue jack up and down to relieve pressure)...thanks again for everyones input.
Jkreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #172

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkreis View Post
I am using 1,000 lbs bars per BO customer service input, as for sway, you may be correct, that is more of the push and pull from heavy cross winds and semi's as they pass. As for moving the chains up from 9, I have tried and it seems I can't get the chain any further up (yes, I have moved the tongue jack up and down to relieve pressure)...thanks again for everyones input.
One hint for getting that 10th link in... at least on my setup, for whatever reason the driver's side cam usually seems to lock in easier (I suspect I may have a tendency to have the truck slightly turned most of the time) and once I get that locked down it changes the position enough that I can get the 10th link locked in on the passenger's side. YMMV.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #173
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Long breaker bar - 18-24" ..... A cheater bar (pipe that fits around the breaker bar) .... And then there is the nuclear option - a stronger tongue jack with a longer leg or some pads to get more lift. Stay clear!

We also find that number 2 sets easier once number 1 is locked in. Good suggestion. Thanks for sharing that one.

Then there is the megaton option - air bags or shocks to lift the tow vehicle rear end. Not advised without a non-proliferation agreement. Pat

But weigh the axles first. You need too know what you have to get what you need.