Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #155
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
AirMiles, you've got to be careful here about comparing apples to oranges. The recent question about w.d. bar rating was from a member with a Ram 1500 that I presume has the aluminum 5.7 V8. Compare that to the weight of your cast iron diesel engine.

Also, it appears your loaded trailer (unloaded FB models are light in front, but that's where most of the storage is) is only putting about 700 lbs on the hitch to be distributed, if I'm reading the tickets right. Most loaded late model Airstream 25's will put nearly 1000 lbs on the hitch.

I see with your light hitch weight and not much weight removed from your diesel-carrying front axle, the 1000 lb bars may be enough. However, with the usual loading of a 25'-28' Airstream and the weight removed from a Ram 5.7 V8-carrying front axle, the 1000 lb bars look too light. The weight of gear in the rear section of the truck bed must also be considered for weight distribution to be effective.

Our experience with a gas Ram 1500 is we need 1400 lb bars to not only restore unloaded steering axle weight, but to move even more weight forward to prevent the truck's rear axle from being overloaded. A Ram 1500 has two 3900 lb axles, with a mid-size Airstream you will need to load them nearly equally to prevent overload on the Ram's rear axle.

If you do this, the Ram 1500 will ride, handle and brake very nicely. If not you may be among those complaining the Ram is "not enough" tow vehicle and not satisfied. Insufficient weight distribution may be the greatest issue causing dissatisfaction with a tow vehicle.

I appreciate all the feedback. It appears that I should probably get the trailer, load it for travel and hit the scales prior to making a final call on the proper size for the weight bars. I called the Blue Ox folks today and they indicated that likely the 1,000 lb bars will be the right fit. I asked about weight in the bed and they did say that does have an impact, but it is not directly related lb for lb to the tongue weight since that weight is furtherest to the rear of the axle - they said to keep the heaviest gear carried to the front of the truck bed and within reason and I should be ok.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 AM   #156
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Did the three-pass routine on the scales with my 2017 FC25FB fully loaded for a six week cross country tour but no water. My Blue Ox Swaypro with 1000# bars was able to restore 340# of weight to the front axle and distribute 160# to the trailer axles of the 820# of tongue weight. These results were with the 10th link from the loose end of the chain in the slot with 2-1/2 links showing under load when connected. This is pretty close to the maximum weight distribution I can get because hooking up the 11th link would be a challenge.

I also re-weighed with full fresh water which added 260# to the trailer axles and no change to the steer and drive axles with weight distribution connected. My Airstream handles best with these settings and full water. Here's the scale tickets:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170525_153541254.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	286293  

AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #157
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Did the three-pass routine on the scales with my 2017 FC25FB fully loaded for a six week cross country tour but no water. My Blue Ox Swaypro with 1000# bars was able to restore 340# of weight to the front axle and distribute 160# to the trailer axles of the 820# of tongue weight. These results were with the 10th link from the loose end of the chain in the slot with 2-1/2 links showing under load when connected. This is pretty close to the maximum weight distribution I can get because hooking up the 11th link would be a challenge.

I also re-weighed with full fresh water which added 260# to the trailer axles and no change to the steer and drive axles with weight distribution connected. My Airstream handles best with these settings and full water. Here's the scale tickets:
I think I read that you need to have at least 3 links showing, not 2-1/2. Others may correct me but I'm pretty sure that is what blue ox recommends.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #158
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Have not seen that admonition. There is a statement that the bars are designed to deflect 2-3 inches on a properly setup system. Can't believe an extra link would be a problem. If it was, a highlighted warning should be in the install instructions and I did not find that on their web site. It is entirely possible you got the instruction when talking to a BO tech or from a user. If you can find a source that would be helpful for the thread. I did not get that info from the tech I contacted when discussing the hitch with them. Thank you for your input to the thread. Pat
Old 05-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
From the owners manual page 4 (7/21/14)

"Note: The suggested starting point is to have three (3) full chain links showing under the latch. Do this on both sides of the trailer."

It then details weight transfer adjustment by using more or less links.
The owners manual is available on the Blue Ox web site for down load if needed. I have settled on counting down 8 links from the lose end of the chain and hooking number 9 in the bracket.
*Reminder: Double check the tightness of the bracket bolt before every use.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #160
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
From the owners manual page 4 (7/21/14)

"Note: The suggested starting point is to have three (3) full chain links showing under the latch. Do this on both sides of the trailer."

It then details weight transfer adjustment by using more or less links.
The owners manual is available on the Blue Ox web site for down load if needed. I have settled on counting down 8 links from the lose end of the chain and hooking number 9 in the bracket.
*Reminder: Double check the tightness of the bracket bolt before every use.
My mistake. Thanks Michael, I checked my notes, and a blue ox tech (actually a women who is a supervisor) told me you need to have 3 links showing, so I guess I was told incorrectly. Good to know.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
When I picked up my airstream from the dealer they set up the blue ox hitch for me and it was set to 3 1/2 links. I'm pretty pleased with the way the airstream tows so haven't messed with it
Old 06-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post

I did likewise. Moved up two full lengths on the chain or length #7 counting up form the bottom bar (showing now just 2 and a half lengths above the 1000 lb bar). Subsequently, I was able to distribute 200+ lbs to the front axel and off the drive axel of my tow vehicle. Balance, load, and steering are perfect and on my heavily optioned Platinum, we now have very adequate payload! And, Zero sway on the interstate. My F-150 Platinum, BO Swaypro, and 25 FC are all now totally synchronous and tow beautifully.
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #163
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
I did likewise. Moved up two full lengths on the chain or length #7 counting up form the bottom bar (showing now just 2 and a half lengths above the 1000 lb bar). Subsequently, I was able to distribute 200+ lbs to the front axel and off the drive axel of my tow vehicle. Balance, load, and steering are perfect and on my heavily optioned Platinum, we now have very adequate payload! And, Zero sway on the interstate. My F-150 Platinum, BO Swaypro, and 25 FC are all now totally synchronous and tow beautifully.
FACT: I have moved up to the 11th link from the loose end which results in 1-1/2 links showing under the latches with 1000# bars on a 25' FC and now also have zero sway on the interstate, no bow push from passing big rigs, don't notice stiff winds . . . The handling improvement from that extra link was stunning.

I CAT scaled this setup and now my front axle weight is completely restored. Here are my weights, which can be compared to my above posted weight tickets. Steer Axle 4680#, Drive Axle 4260#, Trailer Axle 6140#. As you can see a few more items were added to the trailer during the trip, but the truck is loaded identical to my above posted weight tickets.

OPINION: I think restoring the front axle weight is the key. Weigh your tow vehicle without your Airstream attached. Hook up your Airstream and crank up the links until your front axles weight is restored with the Airstream attached. For me, it was the 11th link from the loose end with 1000# bars verified by CAT scale.

You can approximate weight restoration by fender measurements, but I prefer to see the actual results with a CAT scale. Measure your front fender height without the Airstream attached. Attach the Airstream and crank up the links until your front fender height matches your unhooked height.

If you cannot restore your front axle weight (or height) with additional links, you need heavier weighted bars. If your bars are not deflecting 2" (per instructions) to restore the weight, you need lighter weighted bars.
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #164
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
old style BOSP hitch - warning

Notice - there is a Texas dealer that had three old style BOSP hitches in stock. Do not purchase these. One was recently sold to a customer who thought they were getting the new hitch. The old design has an adjustable head, a solid shank, and side tilt chain tighteners. Get latest version of hitch. You will be much happier. Pat