Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Blue Ox Problems

We took our new AS out on it maiden voyage thus weekend. On the way to to the campsite the shank and left sway bar bottomed out during a turn. The sway bar actually bent. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? I have had the blue ox tech involved and he feels that the shank sits too close to ground. The dealer used this shank during installation because the shank that comes with the blue ox hitch made the trailer sit too high. HS anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1107239188.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	840.4 KB
ID:	194346

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2802232845.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	602.4 KB
ID:	194347

Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, without seeing the whole picture, it looks like the shank is way too close to the ground. My shank barely scraped the ground at times so I cut the bottom off. When hooked up, is your trailer level?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Wow, the ball on an AS setup should be around 15 inches above the ground. Yours seems much lower than that. This is not a Blue Ox hitch head. The correct head can be turned upside down to change the the height or as been said, the bottom can be cut to shorten. My blue Ox had adjustment holes for dif heights. By using these holes or rotating the head, the correct height can be attained. Jim
Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
^
X3

Way to low!! It's hard to believe that the trailer is level, even with WD set properly. Our 25 Classic hitch ball height 18 3/4".

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I think you are correct, even 15 may be too low. Brain fade as I get older, jim
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Yes, when hooked up with the sway bars, the trailer is level. Zig, you are correct. It is not a Blue Ox shank. The dealer that installed the hitch had to use this shank because the trailer sat too high, even when the head was at the lowest position on the Blue Ox shank. I called Blue Ox in Nebraska and they sent a tech out to the park where I was camped. He also felt it was too low and tried 2 different shanks but found that the one the dealer used was the only one that would allow the trailer to sit level. He replaced the bent sway bar. So, we finally get on our way home yesterday and I am noticing that the trailers seems to be making a grinding noises when making turns. At first it was just barely noticeable but when I was almost home the grinding was so loud it sounded like the something was going to break or come apart. We pulled onto a side road and my wife got out walked along next to the hitch as i slowly made a turn. The sound was coming from the chains on the sway bar. Based on her description the chains were significantly moving and vibrating during the turn. This was not a problem with the original bars, even with the one that was bent. I called the tech when I got home and he said that what I described could be as a result of the chains being twisted and not straight when that were locked into place, before we left the campsite. I really appreciate everyones thoughts and comments. I am not sure what my next step should be but I am really afraid that the whole setup could be a safety issue.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
I am not believing that bending the bar...in over 6,000 miles and every condition but snow and ice I love our sway pro. I twist the chains clockwise to shorten them so they don't drag on the ground in dips with no adverse problems....Blue Ox is a great company that designed a great hitch
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Pat,

I'm pretty familiar with the Burb in bumper hitch's 23"-25" receiver height, (depennding on suspension & tires), I was working at a Chev store when they were introduced.

What is the unhitched height on your Burb it doesn't appear to be that high. Does it have the Autoride suspension with auto-leveling.
What is the hitch ball measurement of your AS when level & un-hitched?

A six to eight drop should be all thats needed to get the Airstream level with an 18" ball height. Something's not adding up here for sure.

POI...turn your chain hooks around so the solid side of the hook is ready to take the strain if needed.

Twisting chains...not a good practice.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

RLC
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Yes the chains on the sway bars should not be twisted. However there is dif opinions on whether the chains from the hitch to the truck should be twisted. Instill do not understand why your set up is so dif. Never seen a blue Ox that could not be adjusted at least by turning the shank over and using dif mounting holes. Maybe the new hitches are dif.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Are the wd bars level when everything is set up? Can you post a picture of the tv and trailer when hitched. Just curious? Was the rep from blue ox or did they ask a dealer to send someone out? Jim
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Jim, the WD bars were level when hitched. The Blue Ox tech was a Blue ox employee, not from the dealer. I don't have pictures of the setup but try to get some later today. I noticed that when he replaced the bars, the links in the chain were 4 links shorter than the chains on the original bars. I have just read that blue ox bars are based on the trailer tongue weight and that they offer 4 different bars for different weights. My tongue weight is 837lbs. Is it possible that these bars are not the correct bars for this setup?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
Jim, the WD bars were level when hitched. The Blue Ox tech was a Blue ox employee, not from the dealer. I don't have pictures of the setup but try to get some later today. I noticed that when he replaced the bars, the links in the chain were 4 links shorter than the chains on the original bars. I have just read that blue ox bars are based on the trailer tongue weight and that they offer 4 different bars for different weights. My tongue weight is 837lbs. Is it possible that these bars are not the correct bars for this setup?
(snip) "Is it possible that these bars are not the correct bars for this setup."

You really won't know 'til you have your loaded for camping weights,(CAT Scale). The published AS numbers are unloaded and guesstimates at best.
Example...our 25' Classic TW, 1200lbs loaded for boondocking.

Bob

RLC

RLC