Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Thumbs up Blue Ox is in!

I know Im going to start a lot of stuff here and folks get emotional about their hitches but Im just going to give my initial experience with the Ox. We are planning a big trip in August which will tell more, but as alot of you know Ive had it with the equalizer, and yea I set it up right! Just got the Ox in and from the initial test drive its great. Easy to set up, no grease all over the place, no banging-popping-slaming when you make turns....... no control brackets twisting back an forth ....... no gas lines to move..... quiet as a mouse. You can crank it up as tight as you want and adjust the sway so tight that you cant move the bars if you really wanted to. There are a few things that I would enginer differently but we arent talking about a $3000 hensly either. ( Id like to have one). I have heard that Safford RV in VA quit selling them because they had trouble with welds cracking. I called the manufacturer and they said yes, if people used a light rated hitch on a heavy unit. I have also heard that they are China junk but after some research, the parent Co. makes farm equipment in Nebraska. Im not 100% on that. I suspect they started selling the Equalizer because of its simplicity and popularity, not because of its superior enginering. Im not so sure Safford has that many people in the know either. Been there done that(poor service reps). I will post more once I have more experience with it but from my initial setup and trial run it does quite well and is very quiet.
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm looking forward to your assessment of the Blue Ox.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Which one did you get, the single bar with the coil springs, or the "Sway-Pro" model with the spring bars? What was the price?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
From your message it would seem you have the newer Blue Ox SwayPro design and not the earlier permanent mount weight distributing hitch without springbars.

I have this earlier version Blue Ox model BX2004 on my Bambi and it has worked very well for me. It is shown on the Blue Ox site at:
Blue Ox and I've included a picture of it from that site, followed by a SwayPro picture from their site as well.

Good luck either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wdh.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	41901  
Attached Images

mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I have the Equilizer and am also dissatisfied. Please give us an update as you use the Blue Ox.

Thanks;

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I too am very interested. Heading for New Mexico 8/31 and feel I need something more than my Curt with friction sway control. I'm seriously considering a Dual Cam but I like the looks/simplicity of this hitch.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Dis-satisfied?

Hello all -

I am curious as to the 'issue(s)' that several of you have/ are having with your Equal-i-zer hitches.... I have one (10K) and REALLY like the way it works, ease of set-up, effectiveness, and such. Just did 2100 miles and had NO SWAY!! during the entire trip with a zillion trucks....! Then again, this is my 1st WD hitch and as such have no comparison to rate it against. So, what were your beefs? and how is the Blue Ox, or other, better?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We had the same Blue Ox BX model that Marshall has installed on a previously owned 1974 31' Sovereign (hitch weight to 1000 lbs.)

We loved the hitch & how it performed - especially since the stinger was only around 12lbs - light enough to be easy to handle - and, no bars to mount or adjust once the hitch was properly set up.

When we bought our 34' two years ago, we wanted to buy this model of Blue Ox hitch. However, the factory had discontinued making it!

At the Salem rally last year, the west coast Blue Ox rep attended, demonstrating the new Sway Pro set up. We inquired as to why the BX model was discontinued. Apparently, this model was difficult to impossible to install on most trailers - the ONLY trailers that this hitch could be installed on successfully were AIRSTREAMS! (excluding horizontal tank models) This was due to the physical location of the propane tanks, tongue size, etc.
The rep, with his installer, came over to our trailer to see the BX model installed as neither one had EVER seen the BX actually in use!

(we have the HAHA on the 34' front kitchen - it does a great job & the trailer tracks well - yes, it was worth the $$$$$ and yes, we've had the paint chip issues)

We'd love to install a BX on our new to us 22' Argosy - (been looking for a used one) - may have to go with the sway pro as the old Reese hitch currently installed on "Our Gussie" doesn't have a provision for an anti-sway bar . . . .
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:24 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
I have the new version (Blue Ox sway pro). It is a friction based anti sway system. It seems to be quite adjustable with two bolts that go verticaly through the head. I forgot to say in the last thread that you dont have to drill holes for mounting. I personaly think the head and A arm brackets could be built heavier but maybe thay dont need to be. Time will tell. I paid $567 with Tax.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm fascinated by the "Sway Control Loops" that prevent the chains (and therefore the spring bar ends) from swinging away non parallel to the frame.

If these work to reduce sway, I think they might be worthwhile adding to Reese, Eaz-i-lift, and other chain type spring bars.

Does it say if these are patented?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Not sure what is going on....

Hello all -

Is this all just a 'NEW' hitch situation.... or are there real concerns with the EQ????

Since the EQ is a 'proven' system, the cost for mine was right at $600 installed, and the performance is terrific.... I cannot see ANY advantage to the Blue OX or any other hitch over what I, and MANY others have.

I await to be shown the error of my ways.....?!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
My 2 cents...

I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro, I replaced my old equalizer hitch. I tow a 25' FB with a 4x4 Tahoe. I was tired of the grease, clips, pins and the noise too. I have taken one trip with it on secondary and interstate roads and I am very pleased with it.
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I read your post on your thread about being fed up with the Equal-i-zer and was sorry to hear that you were so dissatisfied when so many of us that have them are please with our hitch systems. I really hope that the new hitch meets your expectations and performs well for you.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
SilverToy,

This all started on these two threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...zer-34293.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ion-32805.html

If you read those, you should see where this is coming from. I like many others here in the forum have the Equal-i-zer hitch and are happy with it.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Thanks!

Randy -

Thanks for the link and the reading 'homework'... I'll get right on it. Been traveling a LOT latety and musta missed those.

Hope the new hitch works as well as you hope it will!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Ready for A New Hitch

I have been looking for a new weight distributing hitch. I am seriously considering the Blue Ox brand as well.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Just finnished a 10 day trip with the Blue Ox. It worked fine. We pulled about 1200 miles. It does as good in parking lots as it does on the highway. It is easy to hook up at most any angle and is very quiet. I am 10 times more satisfied with this than I was with the Equalizer. The only down side that I can see is the sway function. I think it gives some sway control but not to the degree that they advertize. When the trailer weighs 8,000 + I think the friction anti sway can only do so much. I have pulled the trailer without a load leveling hitch and it doesnt sway anyhow. I think having 6 wheels is the big difference there.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resorts
The only down side that I can see is the sway function. I think it gives some sway control but not to the degree that they advertize. When the trailer weighs 8,000 + I think the friction anti sway can only do so much. I have pulled the trailer without a load leveling hitch and it doesnt sway anyhow. I think having 6 wheels is the big difference there.
I hear what your saying but to be honest, I'm a little concerned that you are somewhat lukewarm on the sway control. From my standpoint the sway aspect is so important that any issue with the Equal-i-zer being noisy or its pins, etc. doesn't seem to justify a solution where you have some misgivings regarding the advertised sway control properties of your new hitch.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Hensley

I'm interested in the Blue Ox as well. I dismounted my Hensley Arrow and am selling it, since my Safari 28 is in storage. I plan to tow next summer. The Hensley worked fine but was difficult to hitch up and unhitch sometimes. For towing with a light vehicle, it may be necessary. I plan to tow with the Dodge Ram 2500 and won't need it.
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I use a Blue Ox extra long shank on my Silverado. It pushes my 65 Safari back a couple of inches so the tail gate will go down without hitting the trailers elect. jack.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote