Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Blue ox hitches

I recently bought a 22 foot Safari. I had the seller deliver it to a local RV dealer and told them to put an adequate anti-sway hitch on it. They did. What they chose was a Eazy-lift hitch with a friction anti-sway bar. I have since towed the trailer several times. The first two tows were fairly uneventful. The third tow was from Gig Harbor, Washington back to Gresham, Oregon. I fought the wind (a cross wind) for about 3 hours and decided that it wasn't very much fun. I decided right then that I had to make some changes in my towing set-up if I was going to really enjoy RVing, over the long haul. I bought a new TV a couple of weeks ago. I am now looking for the ideal hitch to see me through. I am considering a Hensley, a Reese Straight-line(I think that is what it's called) and a Blue Ox. The Blue Ox seems to get very little press, so I really don't know how it rates in holding down sway. The Hensley Arrow has a lot of appeal, but many on the forum have indicated that hooking up with it is a pain, so, in my effort to avoid pain, I have not opted for it. Has anyone out there tried the Blue Ox hitch and has it performed well as an anti-sway, leveling hitch. Money is not the issue in this inquiry; only performance. Your experience and counsel will be appreciated. My tow vehicle is now a 2009 Toyota Tundra and the trailer is a 22 ft Safari. jc
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have never owned a Blue Ox. I have owned a straight line Reese with frictional dampener, a twin cam Reese, an Equalizer. The Blue Ox seems overly complex and does not self center. I would vote for the twin cam Reese for you rig.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I know Marshall Swartz installed one on a small Bambi, and really like the ease of hooking up. Go to the bottom of this old thread.

My '59 originally came with an Eazlift hitch. Design has not changed in 50+ year.

Go with the Reese Strait-Line.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
For the ultimate sway control, I still recommend the Hensley. I have pulled through some bad storms with intense wind and had NO sway. They are a little more complex to hook up, but after a little practice, I can generally hook up by myself in under 5 minutes. I am confident that you will get some more good info here to aid your decision. Good luck
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
I recently bought a 22 foot Safari. I had the seller deliver it to a local RV dealer and told them to put an adequate anti-sway hitch on it. They did. What they chose was a Eazy-lift hitch with a friction anti-sway bar. I have since towed the trailer several times. The first two tows were fairly uneventful. The third tow was from Gig Harbor, Washington back to Gresham, Oregon. I fought the wind (a cross wind) for about 3 hours and decided that it wasn't very much fun. I decided right then that I had to make some changes in my towing set-up if I was going to really enjoy RVing, over the long haul. I bought a new TV a couple of weeks ago. I am now looking for the ideal hitch to see me through. I am considering a Hensley, a Reese Straight-line(I think that is what it's called) and a Blue Ox. The Blue Ox seems to get very little press, so I really don't know how it rates in holding down sway. The Hensley Arrow has a lot of appeal, but many on the forum have indicated that hooking up with it is a pain, so, in my effort to avoid pain, I have not opted for it. Has anyone out there tried the Blue Ox hitch and has it performed well as an anti-sway, leveling hitch. Money is not the issue in this inquiry; only performance. Your experience and counsel will be appreciated. My tow vehicle is now a 2009 Toyota Tundra and the trailer is a 22 ft Safari. jc
For the dollar and performance, a Reese dual cam, is usually the standout. Low maintainence, easy (don't need to be an engineer) hookup, big time performance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Have used for the last 3 yrs, no engineering degree required, have not experienced any sway. Totaly satified.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Another vote for the Reese Dual Cam. It works very well for me. Just make sure you get the right WD bars. The most commonly sold ones seem to be the 1,000 pound bars. That is probably way too stiff for your combination.
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
. . . don't need to be an engineer . . .
Andy
. . and if you are an engineer, you'll like it even more!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #9

2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
I own a Blue Ox BXW 1000 (1000) lb maximum tongue weight. It's attached to a 28' 2006 Classic that has a 750 tongue weight and a total 9000 lb trailer weight.

Been in 40-45 mph cross winds with no problems and had to do a panic stop @ 68 mph. The trailer stayed where it was supposed to stay!

I would give it a very positive reccomendation.
wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Don't hear or see much regards to Blue Ox any more. Are they still in business?

I read you that they may still be on some shelves and for sale, but wonder why they don't do more promotion.

Reese is now part of a group of two or three other known brands, but I cannot recall which others. Reese I see for sale in lots of places. Wal Mart, various auto stores and others. Maybe a great product but sure not much dealer protection or loyalty. Sometimes that translates to poor customer service as well. But I will defer to Inland Andy's opinion as to the quality of the product. He should know.
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
My vote goes with Reese. Never a problem in the 22 years I've towed with the dual cam set up. I hear that the new dual cam straight line is an improvement over what I have. You can't go wrong with the setup. Just get the right size for your application.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
If we are voting, my vote goes to the Reese Dual Cam. Ease of hookup and no maintainence. MY wife HATES INTERSTATES so we travel two lane roads where possible. We have met every tractor-trailer combo they make I think and have never had a sway problem. Groundspeeds of 50 or 70 make no difference and we never seem to be affected by crosswinds.My dual- cam is old but I wouldnt trade it for anything. We use the 550 lbs and get a smooth ride on both ends.
Good Luck with your research.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Our 30' Excella came with a Blue Ox - this one: www.blueox.us/Hitches/wdh.htm

We weren't impressed. I think its probably an OK hitch, but not for a fully loaded 30' Airstream - weighing in at 8000 lbs - and travelling through Colorado.

Anyway, we opted for the Hensley - bought a factory refurbished online via Ebay. ZERO sway, great weight distribution. My wife will now agree to drive the rig - I don't need to say more!

I can understand people saying its a pain to hitch up, but once you figure it out, its no more difficult than the Blue Ox. Actually, easier since the Hensley has more ability to 'adjust' to different hitching situations than the Blue Ox. Its just a matter a figuring it out.

I currently have my Blue Ox for sale in Houston on Craigslist.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wales View Post
I own a Blue Ox BXW 1000 (1000) lb maximum tongue weight. It's attached to a 28' 2006 Classic that has a 750 tongue weight and a total 9000 lb trailer weight.

Been in 40-45 mph cross winds with no problems and had to do a panic stop @ 68 mph. The trailer stayed where it was supposed to stay!

I would give it a very positive reccomendation.
Depending on what tow vehicle you have, the 1000 bars are excessive.

Andy
Old 05-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Andy, what is the difference between the Reese Straight Line and the Dual Cam. Which would perform better(or are they the same) with a 2009 half ton Toyota Tundra and a 22 foot Safari? Sounds like the Blue Ox gets some positive and some negative reviews and it is a fairly expensive hitch. I read your posts often and you certainly seem to know Airstream. jc
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
Andy, what is the difference between the Reese Straight Line and the Dual Cam. Which would perform better(or are they the same) with a 2009 half ton Toyota Tundra and a 22 foot Safari? Sounds like the Blue Ox gets some positive and some negative reviews and it is a fairly expensive hitch. I read your posts often and you certainly seem to know Airstream. jc
Dual cam and straight line are just different names for the same Reese top of their line hitches.

The straight line "is" the dual cam.

I have only been involved with Airstream for 43 years. One has a tendency to learn something about that product over that period of time.

Being with the Insurance division of Airstream for four years teaching dealers and authoring the Airstream crash book, helped too.

Andy
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I recently bought my first Airstream, a used 2007 31' Classic (looks like new) from a dealer in Michigan. They recommended the Blue Ox and I had it installed. My previous trailer was a 27' fifth wheel. The wind got quite blustery on the way home to Alabama but the trailer pulled almost as good as the fiver. I could tell very little difference, except it is much easier to back up into my drive way.
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Notice - there is a Texas dealer that had three old style BOSP hitches in stock. Do not purchase these. One was recently sold to a customer who thought they were getting the new hitch. The old design has an adjustable head, a solid shank, and side tilt chain tighteners. Get latest version of hitch. You will be much happier. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hummm; 4 threads on the BOSP with 40k hits and 5k answers (aprox)
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #20
Stardust

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
Needing advise
We just bought 2017 FC 25. We had a 2015 23D with a sway pro anti sway hitch and had no problem with it.
We opted for a Blue Ox on new trailor. We really experienced more sway on our 5 hour trip home. We were surprised and was hoping it was conditions but didn't think so. I just got a call from the person who bought our 23 saying the dealer talked her into a Blue Ox hitch instead of the one we left with our 23. She called because she was experiencing a lot of sway and wanted to know it it was normal.
What is the consensus oust there. Thanks.
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote