Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Blue Ox

Heads up for Blue Ox users.
Recently returned from a 2500 mile journey. Got home and discovered the U-bolts on the bars both deformed. As a preventative measure I went ahead and changed the U-bolts out. No way of nowing the cause but I did spend a lot of miles on rough Florida roads under going their continuing reconstruction. Better safe than sorry.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Suppose I should add, nothing dramatic or life threatening involved. Anything man made has a tendency to failure sometime in its life span.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Heads up for Blue Ox users.
Recently returned from a 2500 mile journey. Got home and discovered the U-bolts on the bars both deformed. As a preventative measure I went ahead and changed the U-bolts out. No way of nowing the cause but I did spend a lot of miles on rough Florida roads under going their continuing reconstruction. Better safe than sorry.
I have same problem with one side U-bolt a little bent. When pulling out of space or driving over a speed bump, if there is a "dip" in the ground, or a "bump", one side (or both sides) can catch on the low point on the bars. I am now always "very careful" when in this type situation. Don't think the equalizer has this issue, but could be wrong. My F150 hookup sits pretty low the way it is set up level when loaded with AS.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have same problem with one side U-bolt a little bent. When pulling out of space or driving over a speed bump, if there is a "dip" in the ground, or a "bump", one side (or both sides) can catch on the low point on the bars. I am now always "very careful" when in this type situation. Don't think the equalizer has this issue, but could be wrong. My F150 hookup sits pretty low the way it is set up level when loaded with AS.
That could be what caused the deformed U-bolts. I did bottom out a couple of times on the trip both front and rear of the trailer. When I put on the new bolts I trimmed the excess length flush to the lock nuts.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
That could be what caused the deformed U-bolts. I did bottom out a couple of times on the trip both front and rear of the trailer. When I put on the new bolts I trimmed the excess length flush to the lock nuts.
Don't forget Blue Ox says to put red threadlocker on all threads. Those U-bolts are not something I would want coming loose and falling off while towing.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
picture ?

Chief, could you post of a picture of the damaged u-bolt ? I'm having a hard time visualizing this. I have close to 30K miles towing with mine, and the u-bolts are only showing signs of wear at the point they hang from the chain.

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Chief, could you post of a picture of the damaged u-bolt ? I'm having a hard time visualizing this. I have close to 30K miles towing with mine, and the u-bolts are only showing signs of wear at the point they hang from the chain.
Sorry, already tossed them. Really nothing impressive to take pictures of. Just bent, one slightly to the side and the other towards the rear of the bar. I probably could of gone years and never had a real issue. As I said it was preventative maintenance. Just something to keep an eye on.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
AW - were the threaded ends below bar bent or was the U-section above bar bent? Did the replacements come from Blue Ox or a hardware source? Any specific specification?

Thanks for posting the information. We all benefit from the sharing of our experience.

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
AW - were the threaded ends below bar bent or was the U-section above bar bent? Did the replacements come from Blue Ox or a hardware source? Any specific specification?

Thanks for posting the information. We all benefit from the sharing of our experience.

Pat
Bent both top and bottom.

Replacements were Marine Stainless from Lowe's. Took the old one in and matched it as close as possible.

Used the stainless because they had no galvanized U-bolts anywhere close. Theoretically should be stronger than the originals. Will of course keep a close eye on them.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
AW - Thanks. SST sounds like a good upgrade.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Found the old links. You can see how they are deformed. It looked worse when they were on the bars. I had to pound them out to remove. That actually straightened them out a bit. New link is a bit longer so might have to take up one more link when hooking up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461422491.808484.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	261224

Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Don't forget Blue Ox says to put red threadlocker on all threads. Those U-bolts are not something I would want coming loose and falling off while towing.

Good information, it's now on my to do list. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Good information, it's now on my to do list. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I used nylon insert lock nuts. Guess I need to pull them off and use a dab of threadlock or not.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
U-bolts

Chief,
Thanks for the followup. As a point of reference, I put a dab of grease on the u-bolt/first link contact point occasionally too. Don't know if it really helps or not....maybe it just makes me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. I put a dab of grease on the hitch ball too.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I used nylon insert lock nuts. Guess I need to pull them off and use a dab of threadlock or not.
Obviously, they are not considering aftermarket modifications. I'm not sure I'd want to use nylock nuts in that location. Reese uses locking nuts that don't (or say they don't) have the nylock insert. Those nuts are identified by a small square dimple on several of the hex surfaces.
Of course, we may all be overthinking a non-problem...
Old 04-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
For whatever it's worth, the hardware that came with mine from BlueOx was nylon locking nuts. The instructions were clear also that these should NOT be done up tight....the u-bolt is intended to be able to move freely in the holes in the bars.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Chief,
Thanks for the followup. As a point of reference, I put a dab of grease on the u-bolt/first link contact point occasionally too. Don't know if it really helps or not....maybe it just makes me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. I put a dab of grease on the hitch ball too.

Me too. I keep a tube of clear Molly grease and a grease gun in the back of the Jeep. I give the bars a shoot of fresh grease and a dab of Molly to the ball and other moving parts when ever I hook up. Starting to get some rust on the hitch parts. Before long need to give them a new coat of paint.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
For whatever it's worth, the hardware that came with mine from BlueOx was nylon locking nuts. The instructions were clear also that these should NOT be done up tight....the u-bolt is intended to be able to move freely in the holes in the bars.

OK, just went thru the manual twice and found no mention of the U-bolts. Can you give me a page and paragraph number?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Michael,
Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

It's been a while since I set up my hitch ( I have the old generation version ), but as I recall, the instructions about the bars were at this link:

http://blueox.com/hitch-accessories/...g-bars-550-lb/

.....however, now, at that link, the hot link at the bottom of that page only re-directs back to the same page, rather than to the instructions themselves.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Nothing in the printed instructions that came with mine or on their web page about it. I called them the other day to ask and they had no idea what I was talking about. Said what I used should work just fine. They did remind me to make sure that chain was straight up and down when tensioned and that I might have to adjust the position of the brackets and chain link used due to the slightly longer U-bolt.