Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Bike rack solution - new carrier

I often see people posting who ask for ways to carry bikes. Here is a possibility that puts the weight on the frame and hitch, as opposed to the Fiamma rack that puts the weight on the tail

Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers - 2"-100 lbs Stromberg Carlson Trailer Cargo Control CC-275

Not an issue for me, personally, as I can put bikes inside my van.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
I often see people posting who ask for ways to carry bikes. Here is a possibility that puts the weight on the frame and hitch, as opposed to the Fiamma rack that puts the weight on the tail

Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers - 2"-100 lbs Stromberg Carlson Trailer Cargo Control CC-275

Not an issue for me, personally, as I can put bikes inside my van.
Actually, the Fiamma rack mounted in rear, though expensive, works quite well and the added weight on the "back end", is not a bad thing here...it offsets the hitch weight a bit...and your only talking typically, around 30-50~lbs anyway for 2 of today's bikes? You really want to "lighten" the weight on front hitch to equalize the load as much as possible. We store additional offsetting weight (supplies, etc.) under our rear dinette also for this reason.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
You really want to "lighten" the weight on front hitch to equalize the load as much as possible. We store additional offsetting weight (supplies, etc.) under our rear dinette also for this reason.
Actually you don't want to lighten the weight on the hitch "as much as possible". Insufficient weight on the hitch with too much weight behind the trailer axles increases the potential for trailer sway. If you are going to use a hitch mount bike rack as I have for 8 years, you want a TV that can handle the hitch weight and combined payload.

However, this new mounting system looks like it could use a third leg for support.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I checked and the Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier will not fit over the larger propane tanks on our trailer.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Actually you don't want to lighten the weight on the hitch "as much as possible". Insufficient weight on the hitch with too much weight behind the trailer axles increases the potential for trailer sway. If you are going to use a hitch mount bike rack as I have for 8 years, you want a TV that can handle the hitch weight and combined payload.

However, this new mounting system looks like it could use a third leg for support.
Your correct; I am thinking it already is close to 1000 lbs and with chairs and such up front, tools, chocks, etc, it can go over if not careful; most folks aren't going to load the rear that much (I hope)! But you never know. Thanks for correcting...
Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It may not have to go over the propane tanks. It may fit behind the propane tanks.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
I bought and returned a Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk hitch bike mount. I decided the tanks are so tall that the bikes would also need to be mounted high, making putting them on and off the bike racks around the tongue and tanks very difficult. Also, the hitch length on my 99 Safari 25 is pretty short, and my expensive bikes could possibly get crushed against my Expedition while turning and backing up. So, I've gone back to my old board with a couple of fork mount brackets that fits 2 bikes side by side either in the trailer or the truck while towing.
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Looks like a mishap waiting to happen, if you have a cap on the TV.

you may need a ladder to install the bikes.

the rear bike rack looks better to me

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Kinda like the Arvika system but you have to purchase the rack that slides into the receiver, so you'd have to add that to the cost.

I have the Arvika system and it appears a more integrated solution for an Airstream but at a higher cost. Since its a Canadian company the exchange rates are better now so it should be cheaper than when I purchased in 2013.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Add ons: bike rack; awnings

Any thoughts/comments/recommendations/suggestions regarding the restrictions in permanently attaching the (2 bike) Fiammama bike-carry? Just got a price on one w installation but are proceeding cautiously not understanding all the limitations of opening the back window & whether the bumper storage can be accessed with that bike rack loaded. Also contemplatiing awnings all the way around...thoughts/comments/recommendations/suggestions on those? Or are they just one more thing that adds to the set up/down process?

2014 FC FB
Thanks,
369goose
:band
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
North Salt Lake , Utah
Not the best picture, but the Thule 500xt Xsporter Pro truck bed rack works well with the trailer:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1431542298.585501.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	238357
Old 05-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 369goose View Post
Any thoughts/comments/recommendations/suggestions regarding the restrictions in permanently attaching the (2 bike) Fiammama bike-carry? Just got a price on one w installation but are proceeding cautiously not understanding all the limitations of opening the back window & whether the bumper storage can be accessed with that bike rack loaded. Also contemplatiing awnings all the way around...thoughts/comments/recommendations/suggestions on those? Or are they just one more thing that adds to the set up/down process?

2014 FC FB
Thanks,
369goose
:band

We have both Fiamma and awnings all around. Very happy. 2014' 25' FC. No issues with bumper access.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Lake City , Michigan
Anyone ever see a front mount bike rack for a Sprinter/Airstream???? We have a box on the back 2" receiver but sure would like to bring the bikes along. Any ideas would be appreciated.
jpkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Fabricated board for hauling bikes inside AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by biyak269 View Post
I bought and returned a Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk hitch bike mount. I decided the tanks are so tall that the bikes would also need to be mounted high, making putting them on and off the bike racks around the tongue and tanks very difficult. Also, the hitch length on my 99 Safari 25 is pretty short, and my expensive bikes could possibly get crushed against my Expedition while turning and backing up. So, I've gone back to my old board with a couple of fork mount brackets that fits 2 bikes side by side either in the trailer or the truck while towing.
I'd love to see a picture of the "board" that you fabricated to hold two bikes inside your AS please - sounds like a good idea to me.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
Here's by bike board. It's a 2x10 about 28" long with fork mount brackets mounted offset to each other and far enough apart to keep handlebars from hitting. The side with the mountain bike has two brackets, one for old style skewers, the other is a Kuat that I recently installed for the new bike's 15mm beefy skewer. I've put four rubber feet on the bottom.

In the trailer this rig generally rides in the front living room area, with the board near the couch. The bikes' rear wheels can swing like gates to put them wherever you want them to go. I use no channels or other retention for the rear wheels; they pretty much take care of themselves. This same assembly, bikes and all, fits in the back of my Expedition to keep the bikes from falling over. The only downside to using it inside the AS is that I need to take the bikes and board out to set up for the night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	238397  
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
I do something similar to the bike board but I mounted the stays to the boards under my dinette cushions.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjwuCgcZ

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote