Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
PJM
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Woodside , California
Bike Rack Hitch

I have a 1998 25' Safari and would like to bring two bikes along when we camp. Does anyone know where I can get (or how to make) a 2" hitch receiver mounted to the back bumber of the AS?
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
Hey Neighbor, I know that Andy would tell you not to add ANY weight to the rear frame, lest it cause separation. I installed a front receiver hitch on two TVs so far. I use the front hitch to mount the bike rack, and also to maneuver the trailer into tight spots.

The last time I mounted bikes on the rear of SOB trailer, the additional weight reduced the tongue weight enough that I got into a sway situation. I hope that is never exceeded as the most frightening few minutes of my life.

BTW, you might have to take off a bike seat, or adjust the handlebars for good visibility. The front mount works fine for me. jsutro
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Don't bother. It's not good for the trailer, and it unloads tongue weight; not to mention what it does to your bikes. You're much better off buying or building a simple floor rack and carrying the bikes inside the trailer. It's much better for the bikes as well, and you don't have theft concerns when you're actually on the road.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I'm with Roger on this one. Bikes go in the trailer when on the road.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
I have a 1998 25' Safari and would like to bring two bikes along when we camp. Does anyone know where I can get (or how to make) a 2" hitch receiver mounted to the back bumber of the AS?
The word from most of the people on here is "don't do it".

The word from the factory is "don't even think about doing it"

It's one of the things that make owning an AS... different.

Some claim to have done it with no damage.. but rear end seperation is either a pain in your wallet or your life/time to fix.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My used AS came with a 2" receiver welded to the frame at the rear.

I initially thought I would use it for a bicycle carrier, but after reading all the advice on this forum decided not to - and so I cut the hitch off!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the previous owner had not already caused separation damage - I don't see any evidence of a problem.

The other issue I found with the rear mounted hitch - which was quite massive - was that it significantly reduced ground clearance and would often drag coming out of gasd stations.

I have a hitch receiver mounted on the front of our truck and have carried bikes that way for years.

I found an added advantage to this method last week when travelling in Pennsylvania. My wife's bike which attaches to the bike rack with one of those clip on cross bars started to drop because somehow the crossbar came unclipped. I was able to see it happening and correct it before any damage was done to bike, vehicle, trailer, or anyone else's vehicle!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
Some claim to have done it with no damage.. but rear end seperation is either a pain in your wallet or your life/time to fix.
I'm one of them, I've pulled a small sailboat a few times. No damage yet. Heavier than a bike rack. I put the hitch on before I knew better.

Now I have a boat I can carry on my pick up cargo rack.

If you choose to put on a rear receiver hitch anyway weld it to the frame. Don't attach to the bumper.

If you put on a rear bike rack it's a good idea to have at least some of the weight on the shell not just the bumper.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Im with everyone else DONT DO IT. The frame is not made for additional weight. ITS not an SOB with channel frame. Thats what makes Airstream Unique.lite weight.low center of gravity.Look at your Airstream and its ground clearence and then everyother SOB on the road. TODAYs SOB's are 2 feet off the ground thats because of the frame under them. BUT U go ahead, but We want U to post the astronomical bills you are gonna get for shell repair.(seperation) DONT say we didnt tell ya.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
I have a 1998 25' Safari and would like to bring two bikes along when we camp. Does anyone know where I can get (or how to make) a 2" hitch receiver mounted to the back bumper of the AS?
Hi,
I would suggest carrying them on top of your Infiniti. Not as convenient, more expensive, but a lot safer. Here is a starting point to find out what fits your SUV.
YAKIMA | CHOOSE MY RACK | STEP 1
Good luck,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We bought folding bikes and carry them in the back of the truck.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
I have an 05 25 ' ccd bought it in 05/08 . I had a beef-ie 2" receiver installed in the rear compartment of the bumper with a hole cut in the bumper.Looks real clean. Thats before I ever came across ASforum . After reading on the forum about rear end separation, I had a front hitch installed on front of my ford van .Works fine you have to get used to looking @ your bikes going down the road . I still use my AS rear hitch once I get to the campground move the bike carrier to it too store my bikes & lock them up .I also use a hitch lock to lock the hitch. so the hitch wasn't a total wast.I don't like the idea of putting the bikes inside having them banging in to the walls furniture , there also dirty . If I want to pull over and go inside the trailer @ a rest stop for a while, I don't want to be climbing over my bikes to lay down.
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Normally I only carry 2 bikes but the granddaughter is going on this trip so I added the third.

Yes it is a bad idea to attempt to mount a bike rack directly and only to the bumper of your trailer. My solution is to transfer all of the rotational moment of the rack to the window frame and thus the frame and bumper only see the vertical component
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0843.jpg
Views:	1929
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	85823   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	85824  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Our previous owner had a bike rack on the back. Our frame is getting reinforced now, but I still wouldn't hang bicycles off the back. I think Howie's idea helps deal by reducing the "bounce" issue and transferring some of the stress, but you're still putting weight on the very rear of the coach.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
I still use my AS rear hitch once I get to the campground move the bike carrier to it too store my bikes & lock them up .I also use a hitch lock to lock the hitch. so the hitch wasn't a total wast..
I have the same story. I had the hitch installed as described by silverbacksurfer. It comes in handy to hook the blue boy to on the way to the dump station.

It seems to me if someone is determined to put on a rear hitch there should be a way to reinforce the frame to prevent rear end separation. Never heard of anyone doing it though.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Normally I only carry 2 bikes but the granddaughter is going on this trip so I added the third.

Yes it is a bad idea to attempt to mount a bike rack directly and only to the bumper of your trailer. My solution is to transfer all of the rotational moment of the rack to the window frame and thus the frame and bumper only see the vertical component
So what's IDTT?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
So what's IDTT?
A camping club we formed close to 40 years ago. I'll drink to that". We would be sitting around the campfire and someone would suggest lets do "---- " and someone would say "I'll drink to that" and we did.

A slightly less organized group that WBBCI

Our Constitution has 10 articles. The first is this club shell have no rules. The other 9 are clarification of the first article

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Visit your local bike shop (LBS) and get some folding bikes fitted to your height and riding style. We currently carry ours folded in the back of our TV, but I'm making a carrier out of some old Yakima racks so I can just wheel them under the TV's shell as well as make it easier to get the folding kayak out of the back without having to empty the TV's bed.
Hugh
flakeyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #18
PJM
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Woodside , California
Well the votes have been tallied and the No on adding a receiver hitch to my AS rear bumper has carried the day. Thanks all for the inputs and advice. Its what makes this forum great
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
anyone here who suggested storing the bikes inside the airstream...

Could you please elaborate on how you support / attach / stow the bikes inside your AS? I am trying to do this right now but I can't seem to come up with a good way of doing so without drilling into the floor and/or some part of the furniture.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #20
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
anyone here who suggested storing the bikes inside the airstream...

Could you please elaborate on how you support / attach / stow the bikes inside your AS? I am trying to do this right now but I can't seem to come up with a good way of doing so without drilling into the floor and/or some part of the furniture.

We will use one of these, mounted on some square tubing shaped like an "H", and with a riser because we tote a tandem, with rubber feet to keep it from sliding around, then lightly attached to the gaucho with a bungie.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, rack, bicycle