Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Best Weight Distribution set up for a Honda Ridgeline

I am going to order something tomorrow, just got my 19" Bambi and it will be pulled by a 2007 Honda Ridgeline.
Thanks for your advice!
Stephen
Nightwind15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Based on what works very well for me, I'd suggest an Eaz-Lift with a single friction sway control. The 19' has a fairly substantial tongue weight that could exceed 600 lbs loaded. 750 lb bars should be enough if there is some "stiffness" to the rear suspension, but if you can't get full weight transfer to the front tires, you will want to consider heavier spring bars. (You would definitely need 1000 lb bars with a more softly suspended vehicle like an Odyssey.)
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Any type of weight distribution you like, me, I prefer Reese. Friction sway control. When I had a soft suspension on my Chevy sedan, 1200lb bars were sold to me by the Airstream dealer. Later I moved down to around 650lbs with a stiffer 3/4 ton suspension. If the Ridgeline has a soft suspension like an Accord, then maybe, and I stress maybe go with 800s, but my gut says the Ridgline is a bit stiffer than an Accord and 600 or 650lb bars would do. No need for dual cam type sway/weight distribution combos for 19', but should you, like a number of folks (present company included) decide to upgrade from a 19' Bambi, at least the hitch setup is good for even larger trailers later, even though you clearly would need a tow vehicle upgrade too if you ever got to that point.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You will open up a can of worms by asking this question.There are clearly 2 schools of thought each supported by those that have taken a stand and purchased one of the 2, Reese or Hensley.

There may be a legitimate argument for the Hensley for larger trailers but having towed my 34 for over 125,000 miles I have not seen it yet. The other side of the coin is if you are interested in hooking up and going camping within the same weekend go for the Reese, 5 mins. verses close to an hour may help you decide.

You choice just make sure you get one or the other. You will be able to tell those that did not as you come up behind them swaying down the road.

When installed you want to make sure some weight has been placed on the front axle of your TV. Generally a 60 to 40 ratio of rear to front axle drop as measured along the center line of the wheel to the edge of the fenders is a good starting point.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Personal Opinion ONLY
The Ridgeline will probably do what U need too. I would go to UHAUL( i am not affiliated) They sell and install Resse or DrawTITE which is the same thing. A dual cam will take care of the sway and 550 lbs bars should be enough. I did read an article recently that essentially said that Honda does not Recommend WD Systems because of some lite components in the steering and front suppension. I would go with a dual cam(straightline) just because that trailer is short and amplifies sway quick, and the Ridgeline being short wheelbase ads to that, Sway U may not be able to recover from.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I agree with Mikethefixit. The smaller single axle trailers will sway faster and easier than the longer tandem axle units. The Reese is a good simple hitch that works well. Intallation is simple, but to get it working the best, the setup takes some time and somtimes experimenting a little with head height, angle, and chain pressure. With the dual cam sway control, every time you change anything, you need to readjust the sway "arms".
Old 10-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Here is an interesting discussion:

Weight Distribution Hitch - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

The "newbie" who asked the question has a very familiar username...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote