Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Santa Clarita , California
Question Best "Trailer Mover"

Does anybody have experience with "Trailer Movers"? Which is the best unit? I see there are 120V, 12V (with and without a dedicated battery), types that fit on the hitch ball, types that fit on the tongue, etc., etc. I need some advice based on real-world experience in order to intelligently navigate through all these choices! Thanks.
AndyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I have used a Power Caster for a number of years, and it has worked reliably with no problems. Our trailer is stored in an enclosed garage with only a foot or so on either side of the door opening. The Power Caster has removed all the stress of putting the trailer into the garage. The trailer is moved at a good speed - fast enough to make progress, but slow enough to maintain control.

One major consideration is whether or not you'll have the 120 VAC where you want to use it - if not then a 12 VDC model would be better.

The trailer is wide enough that I can't see down the side while operating the Power Caster - so I use another person to spot and give me directions. I could do the job alone, but it would be a lot more 'stop and look' to make sure of the clearances on each side.

The Power Caster can be used either with the normal trailer tongue jack, or with a special bracket that attaches to one side of the A frame. Either way works fine, but there are extra jacking steps required if I use the tongue jack - I started out using a jack stand in conjunction with the tongue jack to position the Power Caster, and then switched to the special fitting.

Other considerations are paved vs. nonpaved surface, level vs sloped terrain,, how tight is the turning radius you are planning, and the size and weight of the unit you select (if you will be taking it with you on trips). The Power Caster can be outfitted with a switch to activate the trailer brakes, but I've never needed to use this feature.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
I had a Power Mover for about 3 years and it worked well, and was rugged. It would even pull my '66 Globe Trotter over a curb and up an inclined driveway, although pulling over curbs is not recommended and I was only able to do that with a couple of make shift ramps. The big problem with any kind of powered dolly is getting enough traction to the wheels. If your trailer is on a nearly perfect and flat surface you probably don't even need power. A manual dolly might do the job and save you hundreds of dollars. But if you have a bad back or if there is any kind of incline or poor surface then use a powered dolly. The more wheels the powered dolly has the better because it will provide more traction and stability.