Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Best receiver: Curt, Drawtite, or Hidden

I've towed for the past several years with our Durango and have a 2002 F150 with only 60k miles that I've never towed with. My tow capacity is only 6200 lb. but my Airstream has a dry weight of 3300 lbs. and while my towing weight varies it's well within the limits of the F150. I've decided to give the truck a try on some of our flatter journeys so I'm ordering a receiver and brake controller. I think I'm going to go with the Prodigy 2 brake controller but I'm trying to decide on which receiver. I've had a drawtite on the Durango since 2004 and it's still in good shape. I've read that the ratings on the class 3 Curt are better then the Drawtite. Curt, Drawtite and Hidden hitch are all very close in price. Does anyone have experience with the Curt or Hidden hitch that might have some input on this?
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The Ford OEM hitch on my 2001 F150 fit perfect!
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I replaced my receiver with a Curt. Welds are done right and the paint on the Curt is excellent. Perfect fit for my truck. I have a Magnum V, if I'm remembering correctly. I needed a heavy duty and that one fit the bill. I use it for the A/S and also for other types of trailers.
Oh, I forgot to mention it bolted right up with the supplied bolts and I didn't have to drill any holes in the frame.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Drawtite and Reese are both manufactured by Cequent so I wouldn't expect much difference.

I don't know much about Curt.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Curt...
Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi, one thought came to mind as I read this thread. Who makes the factory receivers for the truck manufacturers ? or do they build their own and install them ?

I have a receiver from U Haul on my F 250. Do they make their own or outsource and re-brand them ?

Inquiring minds want to know, for future use around the campfire :-)
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Like Bluto, ours is a Curt Magnum V. Bought one year ago for our Silverado 2500HD 4x4. Fit was nearly perfect, I had only to rebend exhaust pipe one inch for clearance behind curbside rear wheel. Difference between oem and this Curt is ridiculous, especially considering GM had the oem receiver rated as class IV-V.

The Curt weighs double the oem receiver. The Curt is very soundly constructed, based upon a 4X4 steel box channel crossmember and a pair of thick and very deep flanges on the sides. The Curt mounts with four 1/2" bolts into the chassis plus two into the bumper, the oem only has two on much shorter flanges under the chassis plus the two under the bumper. The Curt seems to handle well the torsion from the weight distributing bars, the oem rotated and failed to help keep the truck's front end from lifting when loading the hitch.

I'm relieved to get the oem receiver off before outright failure. A friend, also with Chevy 2500 and towing a 31 Classic, experienced a catastrophic separation of receiver tube from crossmember on his oem receiver.

Sometimes spec grade is just not what you want to depend upon, unless it is mil-spec.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Thanks to everyone for the input. I ordered the Curt class 4 with 2" opening today. The shank from my class 3 drawtite but has is rated for 10,000 and 20k with WD. It's way more then I need but the price was only $175 on e-trailer with no shipping. I'm also going with the transmission cooler and prodigy 2 brake controller.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote