Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Best online source for buying a hitch

I'm planning on buying a new hitch and was wondering if anyone knew of a great online site for this. I've checked locally and the pricing is far higher then what I've found online. Camping World isn't bad but the actually charge you for shipping to bring in a hitch that they have on display.

So far I've found the Reese round bar system at this site for $249.00
Reese Heavy Duty Round Bar Weight Distribution System, 550 lbs. 66065 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

And the Reese straight line system with duel cam included at this site for $454.00
66074, Reese Hitches, Reese Trailer Hitches, Reese Fifth Wheel Hitches, Reese Gooseneck Hitches

If anyone knows of a better place to check before I buy I would greatly appreciate it.

Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I looked around and found the best prices were at etrailer.com

. . . oh, I see you already found them. Unless you want used, I think they have the best deals. Look for free shipping above a certain $ amount, don't know if they still do that.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I looked around and found the best prices were at etrailer.com

. . . oh, I see you already found them. Unless you want used, I think they have the best deals. Look for free shipping above a certain $ amount, don't know if they still do that.

Thanks for getting with me so quickly Mark. They do offer free shipping for anything over $150. This seems like a really good deal. With the price they have I can add the dual cam kit to the round bar set up for less then I can buy the straight line complete kit. I guess the difference would be do I want round bars or the square trunion bars. I've read on here that most people prefer the round bars anyway.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Pacerized
Check with your local U HAUL Agent/Store. They handle Reese or DrawTite.Usually they have a setup on display in the showroom. I have had receivers installed and purchased my brake controller and purchased Hitches locks and their prices seem be in line or below RV Dealer or online.
Good Luck
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I use the square trunnion bars because they are easier to put on and off if you have a low riding coach like mine.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Mike:

I checked U-hual in the Denver area but they don't sell any WD style hitches. The lowest price I found was at Camping World but they wanted $48 for shipping so with the tax that would put me about $150 more then I've found online.

I've been advised to go with the 550-600lb bars which makes sense for my Airstream which only has a 400lb tongue weight. My old system had what I think are 1000lb bars. Is there any chance that the tongue weight could go up past 550lb once I've loaded the trailer? My fresh water tank is located at the very front on the trailer but I seldom travel with water in it, and even then I only add 10 gal. or so in case I have to boondock in an unplanned location. I also have an extra battery up front that might weigh 75 lbs.
Charlie
Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
I've had good luck in the past with e-Trailer.com. Decent (frequently the best I can find overall) prices and usually free shipping. The only time I had an issue, they had good customer service and promptly resolved the problem.

Good luck -

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I am replacing my 1000lb bars with 550lb bars from etrailer. They are very nice but have sent me the wrong bars twice now. I have sent them pictures and gave them part numbers and they show me pictures and still... send the wrong bars ugh..

Im sure we will get it right this time. (i hope)

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
Mike:

I checked U-hual in the Denver area but they don't sell any WD style hitches. The lowest price I found was at Camping World but they wanted $48 for shipping so with the tax that would put me about $150 more then I've found online.

I've been advised to go with the 550-600lb bars which makes sense for my Airstream which only has a 400lb tongue weight. My old system had what I think are 1000lb bars. Is there any chance that the tongue weight could go up past 550lb once I've loaded the trailer? My fresh water tank is located at the very front on the trailer but I seldom travel with water in it, and even then I only add 10 gal. or so in case I have to boondock in an unplanned location. I also have an extra battery up front that might weigh 75 lbs.
Charlie
The 550# bars only mean they can transfer UP TO 550 pounds, not 550 is the most the tongue can weigh. Depending on your tow vehicle, you will probably be okay even if the tongue weight gets up to 600-700 pounds.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
I am replacing my 1000lb bars with 550lb bars from etrailer. They are very nice but have sent me the wrong bars twice now. I have sent them pictures and gave them part numbers and they show me pictures and still... send the wrong bars ugh..

Im sure we will get it right this time. (i hope)

Vinnie
I've read post from others with much larger units then mine going for the 550-600lb bars like yourself. If your 30' unit handles well with them then my smaller 25' unit should. My Airstream is one of the 7' wide units so it only has a dry weight of around 3500 lbs. I'm definitely going with Etrailer in the morning. It'll be nice to be able to get my Airstream as level as I want it again.

Charlie
Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hi Charlie
I was going by the local UHaul Stores in my area,I just figured they were the same all over. What I use is the Straightline Dual Cam. I'm not sure which brand it is really. I am pretty sure its Reese or DrawTite. I bought this hitch for a box trailer and never used it till I brought home our Overlander that came with a Reese WD Hitch /w 1200 bars. I knew within the first 10 miles that the hitch was WRONG. It like to wrecked us the rebound was so violent.
I like Terry recommend the 550-600 Square Trunion Bars. As you can see we are only 2 ft longer than your 25 and the tongue weight should be close.I'm not sure what your TV is but with our 1 ton we get a nice soft ride on both ends.
One other thing that contributes to a soft ride is the axles.We changed ours last yr and that changed the ride height and and also the ride. Andy from INLAND RV has a little visual that will help in determining the condition of your axles.
Good Luck
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
An outfit called RVTec is selling Reese-Cequent 600# set-ups for about $210, including shipping, on Ebay.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
When i use the 1000 lb bars the ride is rough and choppy.. when i use the 550 lb bars i get a little bit more travel on the hitch but the roughness goes away.. im sure all that roughness was beating the heck out of the airstream..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Well, the new hitch arrived today which was a little quicker then I expected.The 550# bars seem tiny compared to what I was using but I'll find out how I like the way it tows very soon. Everything looks to be in order but we still have plenty of snow here with more on the way this weekend so I won't be trying it out until the weather breaks. We're camping in Arches starting on April 30th. so I have to get set up the new hitch and de-winterize before then. I plan on getting it as close to level as I can tell in my driveway then towing it to a level parking lot to finish the adjustments. I only tow with the Durango so once the hitch is adjusted it will stay that way. If anyone is looking at this thread for future reference for an online hitch source I'd recommend also looking at Rvwholesalers Reese Strait-Line 550# Round Bar - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts as well as e-trailer but I'm happy with my purchase from e-trailer.com. Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Charlie