Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
1979 25' Tradewind
thermopolis , Wyoming
Best hitch for frequent hookups

Hi All,

Bought a 66 Trade Wind far from home. The forum has convinced me I need a weight transfer hitch and possibly a sway control system to tow it home safely.

Because I plan to use the trailer in many unpaved situations and where I will drop the trailer and use the TV to travel about and then return and hook on and move, the question comes: Which hitch is the easiest to hook and unhook while offering good performance. Price is also a consideration for me. If it matters, the TV is a 2004 Dodge diesel 4wd.

Thanks, John

amoretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Go to the 'hitch' section on the forum to see hundreds of post regarding this subject - or do a search....

We've recently been kicking around this subject again...

We use an Equil-i-zer WD hitch, and have found it the absolute easiest to hook/unhook - it doesn't have chains at the rear end of the bars - the square bars rest on 'L' brackets that are bolted to the trailer frame rails...

You can see their product info here: Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

Hope that helps....

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 AM   #3

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I respectfully decline...

Good luck in your search....

Stream Safe...
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The good news is that since you will be hitching and un-hitching frequently then it doesn't matter which appears to the least- or most complicated; you will quickly become so expert in whichever one you choose that "easy" is no longer a criterion for hitch choice.

So, buy the best one you can afford. I use and recommend the Hensley.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote