Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Question Best Coupler Lock? (help a newbie!)

Hi everyone. I am looking to get a coupler lock for my new AS Flying Cloud. I have a pin-type lock that goes through the hole on the coupler, but I would like something more secure instead (looks like a simple bolt cutter would take care of that). I understand there are some coupler locks that are made just for AS, or at least fit them appropriately. The dealer thought there was a specific coupler lock for AS, and ordered it for me from the AS HQ...however, when I got to the AS HQ and Service Center to pick it up, they said they can no longer get that part. Can someone direct me to the best coupler lock for an AS and where to order it? I want to protect my investment! Thanks!
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Consider a wheel lock.

I had one keep a trailer from getting stolen from my lot.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
I have one of these. Still have my trailer. https://www.megahitchlock.com/univer...-coupler-lock/
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The best way to protect your investment is with insurance. If they want it bad enough a coupler lock will only slow them down, or they will ignore it and wrap your safety chains around their truck receiver and drive away with it.

I've never worried about the Airstream at home or in most campsites. My concern would be a remote storage yard.

Nonetheless any lock may slow down an easy theft. The wheel lock seems hard to defeat, but I hear of these guys with gas powered saws ripping through virtually anything. A heavy motorcycle lock chain through the spokes of a wheel and around the axle might slow them down as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
I use this
Click image for larger version

Name:	31rRI6P+iGL.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	218581 and this

Name:   31u-98hjx4L__SP160,160,0,T_.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  6.0 KB
probable only keeps the honest people honest, but I feel better.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The second one pictured would be more effective IMO.

The latch itself could be cut quickly bypassing the first lock, the second one would be more of a challenge, assuming the cross bar is hardened steel.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy 7728 View Post
I use this
Attachment 218581 and this

Attachment 218582 probable only keeps the honest people honest, but I feel better.
We use these as well, but an individual intent upon taking your TT will just use the safety chains (shortened) to hook up and pull it away and then make quick removal of most security devices ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...cks-96725.html
Old 08-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
I have one of these. Still have my trailer. https://www.megahitchlock.com/univer...-coupler-lock/
I watched a couple You Tube video's before buying this lock. I also disconect the power so the electric jack is rendered useless. If a hammer doesn't break the lock a cordless grinder will. The longer it takes to steal, the less likely it would be stolen. I had a steering wheel lock on a 72 ss camero with under 30k miles stolen in 1980. I never realized that theives had tow trucks...gone in 60 seconds. The cops laughed at us when we inquired about it. In 1998 80 + officers were arrested for collaberating with gang members. Watch the movie Training day with Densel Washington. Thats why we left L.A.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Go to a Harley dealership and buy a lock and chain and run it through the wheels with the lock on the back side.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
If you use the wheel lock method you must also have lug nut locks - the ones that require a special adaptor to remove the lug nut.

Even so, these can be defeted by the "universal" type sockets that have a bunch of pins inside vs the normal socket of a specific size..... but it will slow them down.

I keep my trailer at home, she's protected by a lead throwing implement.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We use a California Immobilizer. We've also considered running a nice strong padlock through the safety chains so it would be a pain to use them to haul the trailer away with the immobilizer in place.

http://immobilize.com/airstream-trailer-coupler-locks/

As has been observed, all this just slows people down and encourages them to look elsewhere.

Some folks add a GPS beacon so they know where their trailer is at all times, though I haven't really researched this one yet.

I wonder whether a stolen AS has ever been found due to big red WBCCI numbers fore and aft.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
We have GPS trackers on our government CONEX vans. They work great, are somewhat stealthy and are battery powered without hookup to an external source. The monthly costs can be and are expensive. It's a rather big stick for a small issue.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I use a coupler lock that is pretty secure but with all locks that use a key they can be picked with lock pics & it's easy to use them, wheel locks will stop tow away and lock pickers, if in camp grounds if not deserted people will notice if some one is trying to steal by any means.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
During Katrina (yes, that mega storm) trailers were being stolen that had locks on the coupler but the tow ball location was not covered. It's really simple. The crook would take a 2' tow ball and saw off a third of the hemisphere. This would then be slipped into the socket WITH the hitch lock on and the new flat face facing the hitch catch then rotated 90 degrees. Then the receiver bar would be slid into the TV and they would drive away - BTW the stabilizer bars and front jack were often not retracted - they would sheer right off. Most were not after the camper for resale, just the contents and other valuables like copper and aluminum.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
There is no completely safe lock. All hitch locks are useless because the trailer can still be towed to an out-of-sight location and then the lock cut-off in less than 2 minutes.

There are several good youtube videos showing how worthless hitch locks are.

The best solution I have found is the bramha wheel lock. It locks the trailer wheel and covers the lug nuts so the wheel can not be removed.

Here is a link Brahma Wheel Lock | The Toughest Trailer and Vehicle Wheel Lock
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
After quite a bit of research, I decided on the MegaHitch Lock, listed in a previous post. It seems pretty substantial. The point of a lock is to make your property less attractive to a thief so that they move on. This lock seems to accomplish that goal. I also padlock the safety chains up behind the jack. I saw a YouTube video about thieves just hauling off trailers by wrapping the chains around a hitch ball and just taking off. We also leave our iPads in the trailer near a window when we leave with the "Find my iPad" feature turned on. Have never had to use it, but I do not see why that would not work in tracking down the trailer if necessary.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile coupler lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldjeff View Post
Hi everyone. I am looking to get a coupler lock for my new AS Flying Cloud. I have a pin-type lock that goes through the hole on the coupler, but I would like something more secure instead (looks like a simple bolt cutter would take care of that). I understand there are some coupler locks that are made just for AS, or at least fit them appropriately. The dealer thought there was a specific coupler lock for AS, and ordered it for me from the AS HQ...however, when I got to the AS HQ and Service Center to pick it up, they said they can no longer get that part. Can someone direct me to the best coupler lock for an AS and where to order it? I want to protect my investment! Thanks!
I use master lock co.no.35 that uses key to open cover so can insert allen wrench push up into coupler turn pin up into coupler then with draw key effectively locks trailer, mine is painted brite red, but as I stated prev. lock picks can be used to circumvent all key locks no exceptions to this only safe way is some sort of wheel locks w/out keys......
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #19
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hi there. How much does this boot weigh? My chief complaint against boots is that they are bulky, which this one attempts to address. My second complaint is that they are just too darn heavy.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post

The best solution I have found is the bramha wheel lock. It locks the trailer wheel and covers the lug nuts so the wheel can not be removed.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote