Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
During Katrina (yes, that mega storm) trailers were being stolen that had locks on the coupler but the tow ball location was not covered. It's really simple. The crook would take a 2' tow ball and saw off a third of the hemisphere. This would then be slipped into the socket WITH the hitch lock on and the new flat face facing the hitch catch then rotated 90 degrees. Then the receiver bar would be slid into the TV and they would drive away - BTW the stabilizer bars and front jack were often not retracted - they would sheer right off. Most were not after the camper for resale, just the contents and other valuables like copper and aluminum.

Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Durango , Colorado
There is no completely safe lock. All hitch locks are useless because the trailer can still be towed to an out-of-sight location and then the lock cut-off in less than 2 minutes.

There are several good youtube videos showing how worthless hitch locks are.

The best solution I have found is the bramha wheel lock. It locks the trailer wheel and covers the lug nuts so the wheel can not be removed.

Here is a link Brahma Wheel Lock | The Toughest Trailer and Vehicle Wheel Lock

RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
After quite a bit of research, I decided on the MegaHitch Lock, listed in a previous post. It seems pretty substantial. The point of a lock is to make your property less attractive to a thief so that they move on. This lock seems to accomplish that goal. I also padlock the safety chains up behind the jack. I saw a YouTube video about thieves just hauling off trailers by wrapping the chains around a hitch ball and just taking off. We also leave our iPads in the trailer near a window when we leave with the "Find my iPad" feature turned on. Have never had to use it, but I do not see why that would not work in tracking down the trailer if necessary.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile coupler lock

Originally Posted by Arnoldjeff View Post
Hi everyone. I am looking to get a coupler lock for my new AS Flying Cloud. I have a pin-type lock that goes through the hole on the coupler, but I would like something more secure instead (looks like a simple bolt cutter would take care of that). I understand there are some coupler locks that are made just for AS, or at least fit them appropriately. The dealer thought there was a specific coupler lock for AS, and ordered it for me from the AS HQ...however, when I got to the AS HQ and Service Center to pick it up, they said they can no longer get that part. Can someone direct me to the best coupler lock for an AS and where to order it? I want to protect my investment! Thanks!
I use master lock that uses key to open cover so can insert allen wrench push up into coupler turn pin up into coupler then with draw key effectively locks trailer, mine is painted brite red, but as I stated prev. lock picks can be used to circumvent all key locks no exceptions to this only safe way is some sort of wheel locks w/out keys......
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #19
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Hi there. How much does this boot weigh? My chief complaint against boots is that they are bulky, which this one attempts to address. My second complaint is that they are just too darn heavy.

Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post

The best solution I have found is the bramha wheel lock. It locks the trailer wheel and covers the lug nuts so the wheel can not be removed.

Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote