Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
I cant speak to the other brands, but I can tell you that we are very happy so far with our Equal-i-zer 6K for our 19' Bambi. I also talked to their customer service about adjustments and a replacement part and they were stellar.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
You might want to check this site for future reference:
Largo, FL Trailer Hitch - 5th Wheel Hitch - Trailer Parts

Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The 'virtual pivot' systems like Hensley or PP are 'the end' as far as it comes to sway, as they don't control it, they eliminate it. As noted though, that force doesn't disappear... it is just spread through the hitch and tow vehicle as it is essentially a virtual solid coupling. In your scenario, it is possible these forces could overwhelm even these high-end hitches and you could have a catastrophic failure...

Other VPP rigs have wrecked... so it doesn't fix everything. If you are a frequent tow-er in all kinds of weather, it's worth it. For others the finances of it don't make as much sense...
Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It also depends on how big (WB)and heavy your tow vehicle is by comparison to your trailer. It noticed a great deal of difference when I went from my 3/4 ton van to my 1 ton, crew cab, full bed dually. The dually cost more than a $3,000 hitch, but had other advantages and uses.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
We hit the "perfect storm" and rolled our beloved 2003 Airstream Classic (thankfully we were not injured). A cold front coming in with wind gusts, down steep hill and tractor trailer going to fast by us caused the trailer to sway and tip both trailer and TV (Ford Excursion V10). We used an anti-sway hitch with chains and bars but didn't help this time. We pulled our '75 Airstream Excella for 10 years without sway problems. What about the Hensley Arrow hitch, is it worth the money when we replace our Airstream?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
The 'virtual pivot' systems like Hensley or PP are 'the end' as far as it comes to sway, as they don't control it, they eliminate it. As noted though, that force doesn't disappear... it is just spread through the hitch and tow vehicle as it is essentially a virtual solid coupling. In your scenario, it is possible these forces could overwhelm even these high-end hitches and you could have a catastrophic failure...

Other VPP rigs have wrecked... so it doesn't fix everything. If you are a frequent tow-er in all kinds of weather, it's worth it. For others the finances of it don't make as much sense...
Hi, so sorry to here about your accident. And glad that no-one was hurt. The VPP hitches are good, but I agree with Friday. More than likely you were going too fast, down hill, in the wind, and being passed by speeding big rigs. These are all bad especially when combined. Whatever hitch you decide to buy and use should not give you the feeling of over confidence. Slow down, going down steep grades. This seems to be where I have read the most loss of control trailer accidents have happened. I'm very happy to say that in the eight years that I have owned my trailer, driven in all kinds of weather, for many thousands of miles, through all of the Western states including Canada and Alaska, my trailer has only swayed violently out of control once. This was when my trailer was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Another plus for the Equal-i-zer by progressive mfg ... PM for any questions / details.