Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Waltham , Massachusetts
Bent Weight Distribution Bracket???

Hi.

I bottomed out my 19' Flying Cloud on an incline in our ashpalt driveway last night. I'm not 100% sure if this is what bent the snap up bracket for the sway bars but I figure it had to be.

The sway bars on the WDH are the lowest point on the trailer. There are no signs of any scratches or dings anywhere. Just this bent bracket.

My assumption is that when I bottomed out the sway bar hit the asphalt and forced this bracket up and bent it.

Has this happened to anyone here?

I suppose it is possible that the bracket was bent before I bottomed it out, but that seems unlikely considering the amount of force required to bend the steel like that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	313810

nickteller25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Similar thing happened to me some years ago. Towing a '85 Airstream 30'er we were in Hermann, Missouri. Now, Hermann is very hilly with some steep inclines. After driving to the winery at the top of a hill I must have stressed something and mangled one of our brackets. Anyhow, arriving to camp that night I was not able to disconnect easily. In the morning I removed the brackets, unhooked and went to a trailer parts place and got new ones.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Waltham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Similar thing happened to me some years ago. Towing a '85 Airstream 30'er we were in Hermann, Missouri. Now, Hermann is very hilly with some steep inclines. After driving to the winery at the top of a hill I must have stressed something and mangled one of our brackets. Anyhow, arriving to camp that night I was not able to disconnect easily. In the morning I removed the brackets, unhooked and went to a trailer parts place and got new ones.
Ok. Thanks. So it is possible for the brackets to bend without a bottoming out situation.

I have replacement brackets on the way from etrailer.com.

I'm hoping that it's not the setup that bent the bracket, but I guess I won't know until traveling with the new brackets and not bottoming out again!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Glad you ordered new ones...I had one bend and I tried to bend it back...no go.

Follow install instructions carefully...once the bolt contacts the frame, just a quarter turn or so is needed. People (ahem, me) make the mistake of tightening too much, which actually forces the bracket open and it will slip/rotate under load.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Is that where the bolt was threaded to when it was installed? Because, from the picture it looks like if you were to unbend the bracket you would not have nearly enough space between the bolt and bracket for the frame. Did you install or someone else? If I had to guess I'd say it was bent during installation.

BTW, you can drill a hole in the frame and install a self tapping (I think) bolt in the hole on the front for a better, more permanent mounting solution. It's in the Reese instruction manual.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
As a further note...how long were those brackets on problem-free? They do have the look of ones that had bolts overtightened, and 'opened' up just enough... and finally the right conditions were applied bottoming out in your driveway, and the tension of the bar twisted the bracket and really bent it. I don't believe the bracket contacted the ground, that would be one heck of an angle.
So again, only tighten the new ones as specified by the manufacturer. It's counterintuitive. The bolts are are really only there to hold the bracket from sliding back and forth on the frame.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Waltham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Glad you ordered new ones...I had one bend and I tried to bend it back...no go.

Follow install instructions carefully...once the bolt contacts the frame, just a quarter turn or so is needed. People (ahem, me) make the mistake of tightening too much, which actually forces the bracket open and it will slip/rotate under load.
Yessir. Thank you for the heads up.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Waltham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Is that where the bolt was threaded to when it was installed? Because, from the picture it looks like if you were to unbend the bracket you would not have nearly enough space between the bolt and bracket for the frame. Did you install or someone else? If I had to guess I'd say it was bent during installation.

BTW, you can drill a hole in the frame and install a self tapping (I think) bolt in the hole on the front for a better, more permanent mounting solution. It's in the Reese instruction manual.
Thank you. On one side of the frame there is a hole that would fit a bolt in-line with the bracket itself. There isn't a hole on the other side.

I do believe I over-tightened. I didn't read the Reese manual. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Waltham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
As a further note...how long were those brackets on problem-free? They do have the look of ones that had bolts overtightened, and 'opened' up just enough... and finally the right conditions were applied bottoming out in your driveway, and the tension of the bar twisted the bracket and really bent it. I don't believe the bracket contacted the ground, that would be one heck of an angle.
So again, only tighten the new ones as specified by the manufacturer. It's counterintuitive. The bolts are are really only there to hold the bracket from sliding back and forth on the frame.
thank you. the bracket didn't contact the ground but the bars did. I do believe I over-tightened.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
In the future, good practice is to remove the WD bars when encountering any "extreme" angles where the TV and TT will be twisting side to side or significant transitions of angle over a short distance. Likewise, its generally good to remove the bars before leveling the TT for parking, I learned this the hard way and now remove the bars while on the level roadway before backing into the camp site.
SilverHouseDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Waltham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
In the future, good practice is to remove the WD bars when encountering any "extreme" angles where the TV and TT will be twisting side to side or significant transitions of angle over a short distance. Likewise, its generally good to remove the bars before leveling the TT for parking, I learned this the hard way and now remove the bars while on the level roadway before backing into the camp site.

Yes. Thank you. Iím about 2000 miles into our AS towing experience, so learning as we go. Glad to have this forum.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #12
AeroHead Aviation

2018 30' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post

I would not recommend drilling a hole in the frame. Holes create a sever stress concentration which can form craks.
tjmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I would second the no drill recommendation. the A frame on a 19 is only channel iron and not the square tubing found on larger AS's.

What are you towing with?
I tow our 19 with a Tundra and no WD system.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Some folks will weld a "marker" on each side of the A-frame to show the correct placement of the snap-up brackets. Just a little bump on the top of the frame. That will verify that they haven't slipped, and if you remove them to paint, etc. it is easy to reinstall.