Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
Battery in trailer, should be power to 7 pin coupler?

1975 Overlander. I have the battery in the trailer, everything works. Should there be 12 volts at the battery/charging pin on the trailers 7 pin coupler?
Looking at the plug, I think there should be power at the 1 o'clock pin?
I get nothing.
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
You'll have to trace the circuit from the fuse panel to the 7-way conections in the trailer...

Our 78 used two circuit breakers for the charging circuit and the circuit to the break away switch - they were both BAD...replacement provided a quick cure...

Get a cheap digital voltmeter (from Harbor Freight, perhaps <$10) and keep it in your tool kit to ferret out these kinds of electrical problems...
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes, there should be +12 volts on the charge line. Which is the pin at the 1:00 position on the TV receptacle. Which would be the 11:00 position when you look at the end of the trailer plug. This charge line should have a fuse, probably at or near the converter, the fuse may be blown. This fuse is probably a 30 amp, it could be as large as 50 amp. Also check the wiring at the break away switch, some trailers are wired with the break away switch and/or the power tongue jack in the charge line.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Another thing to consider is that depending on you TV...you might have to install a relay or jumper in the main fuse/relay panel. I drove around for 6 months until I realized that I got a little bag with parts when we bought the truck...one of these was a relay and a fuse for the 12v connection to the trailer.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Current flow in the charge line can be somewhat unpredictable and lead to blown fuses and tripped breakers. The cheap automotive breakers in widespread use often fail to reset the way they should, especially after multiple trips.

The problem is that, with new batteries in good condition, but discharged, the charge line current can go up to 20 or 30 amps per battery for a minute or so after the engine is first started. After that there's enough of a surface charge on the plates to drop the charging current down to more typical levels, usually around 10-15 amps per battery. With two batteries or more, that's enough to blow fuses and trip breakers. An auto-reset breaker may trip and reset a dozen times or more before the charge current stabilizes, causing wear on an already weak component.

It is also possible, as TG Twinkie points out, that there's just a loose connection somewhere. With an older trailer it is also possible that the charge line was deliberately disconnected, or was never reconnected when the umbilical was replaced.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Is the 7 pin cable to the TV wired correctly? There have been several changes to the "standard" TV connection since your trailer was built. I would check all 7 positions to see if any have 12 volts.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
When I dragged the Airstream home last fall, all the lights worked. I did have to clean up the plug on the trailer. Tow vehicle is a ford excursion. There is power to the electric jack on the tongue. Brakes I have no idea, as I still do not have a controller. On the fuse panel there is a spot marked "car battery" with a fuse, and it looks good. I will continue to investigate. Thanks for the help.

Carry On,

JJ
Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
On my trailer, a previous owner clipped the charge line inside the umbilical connector. I'm guessing they freaked out because there was 12V there and assumed something must be wrong, or didn't have it wired to match the TV properly and it caused something weird or problematic when plugged in. This may or may not be the same previous owner who told me I'd have to rewire my truck's standard 7-pin to match the Argosy, instead of the other way around.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
1975 Overlander. I have the battery in the trailer, everything works. Should there be 12 volts at the battery/charging pin on the trailers 7 pin coupler?
Looking at the plug, I think there should be power at the 1 o'clock pin?
I get nothing.

The trailer battery charge line on my trailer backfeeds to the 7-way connection in order to power the breakaway switch.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
On my F150 the fuse and the relay needed to power the trailer charger circuit was supplied separately in a plastic bag in the glove box. (I. E. Ford does not install these in the fuse box under the hood when the vehicle leaves the factory). Suggest you check to see if the fuse and relay are installed.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT
On my F150 the fuse and the relay needed to power the trailer charger circuit was supplied separately in a plastic bag in the glove box. (I. E. Ford does not install these in the fuse box under the hood when the vehicle leaves the factory). Suggest you check to see if the fuse and relay are installed.
Ditto on that, those parts were in a sack in the glove box when I took delivery of the Expedition. Understand also that the relay only makes the charge line in the 7-pin connector hot when the ignition is on.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
North...
Since you have a 7-way F/M plug on your Exc, I would assume it had trailer tow option from factory... As such you will have a plug under the dash to plug your brake controller directly into - makes it easy!

If you aren't scared by the price... Check out the new DirecLink controller...do a search for other posts I've made about the DirecLink.. I now think its the best...The Airstream store sells em' at a discount...
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
North...
Since you have a 7-way F/M plug on your Exc, I would assume it had trailer tow option from factory... As such you will have a plug under the dash to plug your brake controller directly into - makes it easy!

If you aren't scared by the price... Check out the new DirecLink controller...do a search for other posts I've made about the DirecLink.. I now think its the best...The Airstream store sells em' at a discount...
I think if I were to consider spending bigger bucks on a brake controller I'd go for the MaxBrake that senses hydraulic pressure in the braking system to determine how much voltage to send to the trailer. I've managed to get to a good place with the Prodigy P3, but I have to turn the boost off in town and back on on the highway to satisfy my OCD issues. Hopefully the next TV will have an integrated brake controller, but once I figured out that switching the boost on and off would get me most of the way there I decided to stick with the cost I'd already sunk.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
Two wires have been cut inside coupler. A black one and a green/blue one. The center pin -backup lights? and the aux/battery one were both empty. I'm gonna hook them back up and see what happens. That's what fuses are for right?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Why not use a 7-way tester?

They're cheap, handy to have in the tool kit, and can be used on the tow vehicle, the trailer, and both ends of the umbilical cord.

No need for blown fuses at all.

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote