Originally Posted by mmmtob
While hitching up my Safari for a quick weekend getaway, my Bargman 12V
breakaway switch caught fire and burned with the pin in. It's probably 2 years old. The time between securing the umbillical cord around the receiver and plugging in the pin was only seconds. I had to use a fire extinguisher on it several times as it kept smoldering. While the unit burned the brakes were engaged. When I finally succeded in extinguishing the fire, the brakes released. Anyone had a similiar experience?
I haven't seen this in the Bargman switches, but I have dealt with it on SOBs that were not wired properly. You had a dead short within the switch that grounded to the frame and pulled the full amperage from the battery into the switch. The wire gauge within the switch could not support this big amp draw, overheated and ignited!
I would contact either Airstream or Bargman for a replacement switch under warranty, AND I would replace ALL of the wiring right back to the battery.
PS: Welcome to the Forums!!!