Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Bambi Weight Distribution Hitch Recommendations

Hi, I'll be picking up our new 2006 16' Bambi International Friday (our first RV). The dealer has suggested installing a Husky weight distribution hitch with out any sway controls.

Does any one have experience with this set up on a 16' Bambi (3,500# GVWR)? And if so does this seem reasonable?

Or does any one have a better (?) recommendation?

Thank you,

Willy Gorrissen
gorrissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bambi Weight Distribution Hitch Recommendations

Greetings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrissen
Hi, I'll be picking up our new 2006 16' Bambi International Friday (our first RV). The dealer has suggested installing a Husky weight distribution hitch with out any sway controls.

Does any one have experience with this set up on a 16' Bambi (3,500# GVWR)? And if so does this seem reasonable?

Or does any one have a better (?) recommendation?

Thank you,

Willy Gorrissen
My '78 Minuet is comparable to your new coach in weight, but is a little over 19' and also on a single axle. I went with a Reese Strait-Line Hitch that includes the Dual Cam Sway Control. To obtain the best results with my K2500 Suburban tow vehicle, I went with an older set of 350 pound weight distribution bars for my hitch -- and it performs flawlessly under all conditions. I use 550 pound weight distribution bars with the hitch when I tow with my softly sprung Cadillac Eldorado.

I suspect that your 2006 Bambi 16' will likely have a proportiantely higher hitch weight than many competing brands. My Minuet has a GVWR of 3,250 pounds -- typical loaded weight is 3,100 pounds -- with 525 pounds on the hitch. The recommendation that I received directly from Reese was that the Dual Cam system was acceptable so long as the loaded hitch weight is at least 400 pounds for the coach.

While a single axle Airstream coach is not typically prone to sway, I like the extra security of knowing that I have a quality sway control unit built into my hitch system. My experiences with friction sway controls was terrible, and my preference has been to avoid them if at all possible as they are an adjustment nightmare if you follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
IMHO, you should at the very least have a friction sway control for even a 16'.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Husky???

I'm not familiar with that one, but Reese and Equilizer seem to be favorites here.

You definately don't need the Hensley. I think that hitch alone weighs more than your trailer.

Jonathan
Old 05-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Equal-i-zer

I have one on my 19CCD. It performs both WD and sway control in one unit. Very simple to set up and hitch up. Works flawlessly. I'm not familiar with the Husky brand of hitch. I would do a little research before you commit to buy one. There is a reason why Equalizer and Reese are so popular......THEY WORK WELL!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
lewster is right on with his comments about the Equalizer brand.

In the 1990s, I had a 21' Sovereign, and I bought the Hensley Arrow because I was towing with a short wheel base (Ford Bronco). The Hensley was a great hitch, and I never had trouble while on the road, with cross winds, semis passing, etc. However, we mostly dry camp, on uneven ground, and it was always a hassle getting hooked back up when time to go. Not a problem on paved areas, like my driveway or a parking lot, but on uneven ground it seemed things never lined up right.

Now, I have a 16' CCD and tow with a Dodge Ram 2500 (I know, I do most things backwards like this). I use the Equalizer hitch, and it works flawlessy. I agree with the previous poster who said the Hensley is over kill with the 16'. I will point out that, when I tried towing the 16' without installing the weight bars, there is a noticeable difference in how it tows, even with my large TV.

If you go with the Equalizer, you get weight distribution and sway control integrated in the same hardware. If you go with some other brand of weight distributing hitch, then be sure to get the kind that you can add the friction sway control later (a 2nd, smaller ball on the hitch head). Then, you can decide later if you want to add the friction sway control, it won't be a big deal at all.

Just my thoughts, buying the Airstream is the biggest step towards good towing!
Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I have a Husky hitch with weight distribution bars and a single friction sway controller. My 19' trailer pulls level and straight as an arrow. The hitch is rated up to 800 lbs. tongue weight.
The Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Curious!?

Hello all -

BTW - LOVE the Chi-town trend in posters so far! Keep em coming!

Not to rock the boat here, but what is the 'logic' on the SC with a small 16'er and a big TV.

There is likely no 'wag-the-dog' or similar scenario. Is this the 'bigger is better', 'more hitch is just enough hitch' and the 'HUGE TV (w/mega motor/trans) with small/medium/ large-ish' trailer phenomina...? Where are we going here?

Just curious as it seems that gas/diesel is going to the strosphere or above, big TV prices will likely dive as a result, not to mention larger trailer units following due to 'operating costs'.... Not to mention the seeming upcoming drought of 'big' gasser motors..... None of these are positive indicators.

Not sure where I am going with this but the 'bigger is better' logic needs to be looked at sometimes.

Peace all - hope I can bail all I am going to get...!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hi Willy and welcome!

I just went through the whole WD hitch / sway control question with a 16' CCD, towed by a Honda Ridgeline.

You have stumbled upon an AS Forums religious issue; hotly debated questions with insufficient empirical data to reach conclusive answers.

This thread I believe has every possible point of view represented, and may be helpful to you.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...-ii-21000.html

FWIW, I did a Reese High Performance with friction sway control. Some on the Forums would tell me it's insufficient, some would say it's not necessary, and some would say it's downright dangerous. Some would say it's..... just right.

I noticed little tendency to sway both before and after installation. I more or less averaged the opinions I received to make my decision.

Best of luck,
j
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
J, I followed your posts when they started and I was overwhelmed by the information, opinions etc. But I'm glad to know what you did.

Thanks for the help,

Willy
gorrissen is offline   Reply With Quote