Old 06-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Bad sway problem

I was just out on the maiden voyage for me and my "new to me" AS and found that on the interstates the large trucks caused me to be sucked towards them as they came up on me and then shoved the airstream back and forth as they passed. This made for sobering driving! If I went over 60-which I don't really need to do anyway, the sway would be so bad I had to slow to 45 and then speed back up. Is it the hitch? I have a reese hitch with leveler bars. (if that is what they are called)

Old 06-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That should NOT be happening. You are probably not properly set up. Tell us about your tow vehicle and post pictures of your set up. We need to see what you've got and how it's connected to give you advice.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
I was just out on the maiden voyage for me and my "new to me" AS and found that on the interstates the large trucks caused me to be sucked towards them as they came up on me and then shoved the airstream back and forth as they passed. This made for sobering driving! If I went over 60-which I don't really need to do anyway, the sway would be so bad I had to slow to 45 and then speed back up. Is it the hitch? I have a reese hitch with leveler bars. (if that is what they are called)
If you can show us a picture of your trailer and tow vehicle hitched on level ground, that might be a start for us to diagnose. You do need some sway control with your reese hitch and leveler bars (and you haven't noted that), but we do need to look at that hitched combo to see if you might a situation where you have lifted that trailer too high with your leveler bars or have some other hitch abnormality.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The Bernoulli effect will cause attraction between your rig and a passing truck. The faster you are going the more pronounced the effect. You should be able to feel it, BUT what you describe indicates that more is going on. Possibly, there is too much downward force on your hitch lifting too much weight off of the TV's front wheels. Yo may conversely have too little weight on the rear axel. A weight distributing hitch can work for you or against you depending upon how you set it up. Many of us also use some sort of anti-sway system along with the weight distribution.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
Please list the make and rating of your hitch.

Also, what kind of tow vehicle do you have?

Depending on the answers to those questions, the answers could lead to the cause of the problem.

Andy
Old 06-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
FRScott,

Check your email. I sent something that may be a help.

Gene
Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto the above replies. Also are you using a sway bar in addtion to the weight distributing hitch?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I know of several people that have had bad accidents using WD, but not sway control. Most of these were relatively new people that had recently purchased their coaches, and the dealer had installed the system for them.
Also, it helps immensely to fill the fresh water tank before traveling. That extra 350+ pounds of water, mounted in front of the axles, under the floor, does a lot for the stability of the rig.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Slightly Off Topic

Friday driving near Laguna NM (just East) I got hit with a wind burst that was just extreme. I use the little towing mirrors that strap to the main side mirror, and the driver side Truck and Towing mirror slammed into the door window with such force i am suprised it didn't break the mirror. I am not realy sure if the wind or my reaction to it put me into oscillation. I was pretty quick to hit the brake controller while accelerating and it corrected in about three movements. I pulled over the next stop, checked everything out, everything was ok.

I never have problems with trucks and in general am pretty pleased with my towing setup. One of those freaks of nature, but can tell you I am really glad I had the brake controller.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Actually, it's not off-topic, it certainly has to do with trailer sway, even though natural-wind induced, rather than mechanically-induced.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Don't let your wind speed become your air speed.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Wow! many responses, and I am going to have to claim ignorant on most. I just bought the trailer and it came with a hitch which I have no clue what rating or anything else other than it has Reese on it. My TV is a 1999 Suburban 1500, and I did find that the links on the leveler bars did matter as to how tight or loose I kept them. The vehicle does not "v" in the middle all that noticeably, but I do not have a picture of the two together and for now I keep it (the AS) 120 miles away because we have not made a place for the trailer at our house, a coming project. Should I just start from scratch and buy a new hitch?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
My recommendation? Give the knowledgeable folks here the info they requested ASAP and let them take a gander before you go out and buy a new hitch...it may just be a matter of proper adjustments, etc...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #14
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It sounds like you may have a Reese trunnion head weight distribution hitch. If you do, this document will step you through all the adjustment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf reese.pdf (364.6 KB, 67 views)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote