Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Lynn

2005 25' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
backup camera

Thinking a backup camera would be a nice thing to have when hitching up your AS without help. Any recommendations on what to buy? There are so many to choose from.

Lynn
aliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I don't think you need a backing camera for hitching, not really that hard. But I do have one installed on the back of trailer to watch traffic. I mounted it on the rain gutter of the rear window, using an old antenna mount and JB Weld. Grabbed power from the storage compartment light by splicing in a two conductor trailer pigtail. The trailer pigtail lets me move the camera to the rear of the truck if I want to use it as a hitching camera. I also added a pigtail connector to my front battery box and have a spot light or a multiple 12 volt outlet I can plug in there, the rear, or the truck. I also use the camera and connectors on my boat.

You want the digital also an inline fuse.

Pep boys, $119.00 don't forget to find the 20 percent off coupon.

Two Pole Flat Connector Trailer Set (47965) at Aubuchon Hardware

Can be purchased at any autoprats stoer, get several.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Lynn

2005 25' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
Thanks Jim, I do a pretty good job backing up but thought it would be a nice thing to have, more of a want than a need.

Lynn
Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I installed RVS Quad system. It rocks!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliner View Post
Thanks Jim, I do a pretty good job backing up but thought it would be a nice thing to have, more of a want than a need.

Lynn
It is INDEED a nice thing to have and if you're going to have a monitor for the back of the trailer, you might as well have one for the bumper of the truck as well. It makes hitching a breeze.

As for which camera, you're right, there are a number of them to choose from and MOST will work just fine. I had years of good luck with a $25 cheapie camera off ebay and I just bought a new truck that came with an unopened $120 Alpine camera that I'll be installing this weekend.

Here's my old set up.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is pic on 7 inch display

Front is rear of AS. Back is pickup TV license cam

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-244877611.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	185978
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Lynn,
I just had one installed by a company in Beaverton. Coach Automotive on Beaverton Creek Ct. Found out that a camera mounted in the handle on my Ford would not show the hitch so I opted for the camera in the logo which shows the hitch. They also sell mirrors made by Gentec that display a small screen on the rearview mirror. (too small for me) Lots of options.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Anyone here using the IBall wireless system?
Looks like a nice unit, wonder how well it works? Price is not bad.
http://www.iballhitchcam.com/
Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Lynn

2005 25' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
The IBall has mixed reviews, more positive than negative. Another impressive unit is the Swift Hitch hand held system. Very portable.

Lynn
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks Lynn. I'll have to take a look at that too.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
backup camera

My Yukon came with a back up camera, I would probably not have ordered it if it hadn't. However, with the camera it is a one shot deal to hook up day or night. You just back straight under the hitch, no getting out to check, no arm waving from spotters. I will be adding a camera for the rear bumper of the AS.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a backup camera. Yes, it is handy for hitching up- get it right the first time every time- but it is not necessary. During the process of shopping for the truck I test drove one with a backup camera and then bought a less expensive truck and added some of the features of the more expensive one aftermarket. I still got a Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited minus the moonroof, 8" navigation head unit, backseat DVD, electric tilt and telescoping steering wheel, memory formseat position, and 4-wheel drive. The truck I bought had the 12 speaker 200 watt JBL audio system with 6 disc changer and steering wheel controls. I added XM radio to this setup and lived with it for maybe a year and a half. The only thing left of that system is the JBL amp running the left, right, and center channel speakers in the dash only. Everything else has been upgraded. The first step was to replace the factory 8" subwoofer with a Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow 12" subwoofer in a slightly bigger box than the factory enclosure and a 400 watt Rockford Fosgate Punch amplifier. Better, and I intended to wait another year for more upgrades, but a week or so later the factory head unit and door speakers were gone. I got an Alpine INA-W900 8"touchscreen DVD and Navigation head unit with an adapter to use the factory steering wheel controls, XM radio, iPod control, and Alpines proprietary Imprint preamp/equalizer. I got Boston components with 6 1/2" woofers and 1" tweeters on all four doors with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 500 watt 4-channel amplifier for power. I gutted the interior of the truck and put Dynamat everywhere. To this setup I added a backup camera in the factory location to the left of the tailgate handle. So- after hooking up the Airstream and getting on the road we have plenty of high-fi tunage from the iPod or XM. The whole system is very stealthy and has a stock appearance. It sounds great, but the system in my 1999 Nissan Pathfinder sounds better...
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Be careful. I bought a Chinese twin camera system (quad-capable) unit sold under different names, that did not work for me. It first would not get a signal (it was part wireless) and then when I extended it, the picture was as if I was receiving from the moon- static, etc. Every sort of signal was picked up and interfered. Then what I DID get quit working when it rained on the supposed watertight camera on the AS. Dead. A replacement was sent that ended up quitting as well. THen the license plate camera on the truck quit working. Meanwhile I was out about $350 and no cameras. Then I decided to bite the bullet and go for the Voyager digital wireless. It works beautifully and I see behind the trailer with a wireless camera. For hitching I now use my eyes and judgement.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
I just received my iBall. Very pleased. It makes getting the Hensley aligned much easier. As a bonus, it can give me rear view when I am backing into a campsite. Simple and inexpensive. Just don't expect high definition image :-)

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote