Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Thanks Tom. I'm not referring to the head size necessarily but rather the extended distance from the receiver that the torsion bar force is exerted.

My understanding is that the further from your receiver/bumper that this force is exerted the less effective it is at distributing weight forward.
The "extended distance" and the added weight both cause additional load to be removed from the TV's front axle.
OTOH, the extended distance makes the WDH slightly more effective at restoring load to the front axle.

For a typical TV/TT combination and a given TV tongue weight, the added length of the 4-bar linkage hitch (assumed to be 12") might cause the load removed from the TV's front axle to be about 20% greater than with a conventional hitch.

The added receiver load due to the extra weight of the 4-bar hitch (assumed to be 120#) might cause an additional front axle load decrease of about 10%.

The combined effect of extended distance and added hitch weight is to increase the amount of load removed from the TV's front axle by about 32% (for a given TT tongue weight).

On the plus side -- the extended distance would make your TV/TT/WDH about 4% more "efficient" at restoring load to the front axle.

Therefore, with a typical TV/TT combination, to achieve 100% front axle load restoration when using a 4-bar hitch would require a WD bar load increase of approximately 27% relative to using a hitch without the added length of 12".

Ron

Old 10-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks Ron, that makes sense. So, if I was currently using traditional 1000lbs bars, with a HA/PP would I need to move to 1400lbs bars at a slightly "looser" setting? Wouldn't the step up in WD bars put an increase of stress on the TV hitch receiver?

cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Thanks Tom. I'm not referring to the head size necessarily but rather the extended distance from the receiver that the torsion bar force is exerted.

My understanding is that the further from your receiver/bumper that this force is exerted the less effective it is at distributing weight forward.
unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, that is the opposite of what is true.

Any given force will have more effect the further from the fulcrum (in this case the rear axle of the TV). It is a linear function. (i.e. 10 pounds of upward force at 5 feet from the fulcrum will produce half as much downward force on the front axle as it would if it were 10 feet behind the rear axle.

Ken
Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Ron, that makes sense. So, if I was currently using traditional 1000lbs bars, with a HA/PP would I need to move to 1400lbs bars at a slightly "looser" setting? Wouldn't the step up in WD bars put an increase of stress on the TV hitch receiver?
Depending on how much load transfer you're trying to achieve, it might or might not be necessary to move to the 1400# bars.

However, if you want to achieve the same percentage of front axle load restoration after switching to a HA/PP, you would need to apply more load to the WD bars, and that would increase the stress on the hitch receiver -- whether using 1000# or 1400# bars.

Ron
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It looks like they are only substituting snap up chains in place of the weight distribution screw jacks. A less expensive option. I sure like the jacks on our ProPride for adjusting each trailer or truck bed load easily and quite perfectly. The hitch head vertical angle is easy to adjust or tilt with the jacks as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Need to bring this thread back to life.
I see no conclusion defining are folks happy with the Hensley Swift Cub hitch or not.

I'm just purchased a 2015 Toyota Tundra 1794 and tomorrow pick up from the original owner a 2012 Airstream Intl. 19. Unfortunately, he has no hitch to go with it so I'll tow it home with the default on my Tundra, which is a class IV but of course no hitch sway control for the home coming trip from Virginia to Chapel Hill on I95/85. (Hope truckers on taking Friday off.)

We had a 22 Airstream back in 2006 and put the Hensley Arrow, big brother to the Cub, on it and were very pleased. However, the Arrow or the ProPrice seem like major over kill for the 19; 3823# and 550# tongue.

Now updating myself on hitch improvements since we last pondered it and it seems like the Cub is a good solution for a small Airstream like the 19 Intl.

What has been the "happiness factor" for those folks that went with the Cub is what I'm seeking.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #21
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
the 19; 3823# and 550# tongue.

The loaded tongue weight on a 19 will be over the 600# limit on the Cub.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Currently Looking...
That's not good news!
I'll confirm that with Hensley later today - did call your business earlier this morning, no one could address my questions so I left my phone number. Have not heard back and right now I'm off to run errands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
The loaded tongue weight on a 19 will be over the 600# limit on the Cub.

-
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #23
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
did call your business earlier this morning, no one could address my questions so I left my phone number. Have not heard back and right now I'm off to run errands.
Yes, I have your number to call you back. Or, you can call me directly on my cell anytime 810-962-0219.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 02-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #24
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Currently Looking...
Sean,
Just a note to thank your for point out the 600 pound limit of the Swift Cub to me. Given that the 19 Intl, 2012 model, has a tongue weight on 550 pounds with the trailer having no load in it, that was too close for my comfort level.

To all others reading this thread, I called Sean late this afternoon and questioned him extensively on the merits of the ProPride set up verse the Hensley Arrow, the hitch that I had owned previously back around 2005. I was so impressed with his answers, frankness and engaging personality that I felt it was time to make up my mind. I purchased the 3P-1000 from him and look forward to it's delivery. I'll be installing it myself, as I did years ago with the Hensley. I think he has a better "mouse trap", and hope my "thinking" is manifested as valid when the hitch arrives and I put it to the test.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #25
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Sean,
Just a note to thank your for point out the 600 pound limit of the Swift Cub to me. Given that the 19 Intl, 2012 model, has a tongue weight on 550 pounds with the trailer having no load in it, that was too close for my comfort level.

To all others reading this thread, I called Sean late this afternoon and questioned him extensively on the merits of the ProPride set up verse the Hensley Arrow, the hitch that I had owned previously back around 2005. I was so impressed with his answers, frankness and engaging personality that I felt it was time to make up my mind. I purchased the 3P-1000 from him and look forward to it's delivery. I'll be installing it myself, as I did years ago with the Hensley. I think he has a better "mouse trap", and hope my "thinking" is manifested as valid when the hitch arrives and I put it to the test.
Thank you for the kind words, Jack.

I enjoyed our conversation. Happy I could help.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, I'm totally pleased with my ProPride setup. Put almost 10k miles on it the first year with no issues and no white knuckles even in Phoenix AZ traffic at rush hour (never again...).

Can't imagine towing any other way.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #27
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Sean,

I believe you will be very happy with your decision. As far as Sean's support, it goes on long after the purchase. We have had our ProPride for 5 1/2 years. The support is still as quick and easily accessible as it was when we first purchased the hitch.

Ken
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Sean,

Hi, Sean is a great guy and I'm sure that you will be more than happy with this hitch.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote