Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master
 
mstephens's Avatar
 
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 854
Walk Arounds

This is not our first hitch failure. One year ago or so, the welds on our hitch head broke on one side leaving the hitch head hanging on the shaft by one side. I know, someone right now is saying, "what the heck is that guy doing to his hitches?" I don't know. I am conservative, drive slow, and check my gear. Bad luck? I don't know. But, since the broken head, my wife has been obsessive about "weld checks". We don't roll until she has inspected all the hitch welds. I love her enthusiasm, and as people have mentioned, inspection is your best friend.
__________________

__________________
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #30
Patriotic
 
Chuck's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,533
Images: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
... I know, someone right now is saying, "what the heck is that guy doing to his hitches?" I don't know. I am conservative, drive slow, and check my gear. Bad luck? I don't know.

well...have you balanced your running gear?



__________________

__________________
Air:291
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Funny Bob, maybe it's our aircraft maintenance background. I use small "Remove Before Flight" keychain fobs I found at an Air Force base to remind me to remove X-Chocks and raise stabilizers.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Funny Bob, maybe it's our aircraft maintenance background. I use small "Remove Before Flight" keychain fobs I found at an Air Force base to remind me to remove X-Chocks and raise stabilizers.
I find on 'Cloudsplitter' the red ribbon hanging from the entrance steps, awning support arms & open windows has reduced head bumps & CG embarrassment greatly.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
mstephens's Avatar
 
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
well...have you balanced your running gear?



Hmmmm?

I don't know what I don't know!
__________________
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
mstephens's Avatar
 
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 854
We have a pretty good "pre roll routine." I go outside and do the hookups, wife is inside and does all the putaways and securing, antennas, vents and whatever. When done, she comes out and we hookup. Then I go in the car and check all the gauges and tire pressures in TV/TT, and she does another walk around that includes the light check, and mirror adjustments. In the beginning, we had all this on a written check list. We quickly learned it and we haven't been using the written one, which is a mistake. I think we will go back to the written one just to be sure we aren't becoming sloppy.
__________________
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #35
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Hmmmm?

I don't know what I don't know!
There is a forum member that attributes anything that goes wrong on an Airstream to unbalanced running gear.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
urnmor's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,220
Glad you are safe and than you for the information
__________________
urnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
Moderator
 
Stefrobrts's Avatar

 
1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,905
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Walk Arounds

This is not our first hitch failure. One year ago or so, the welds on our hitch head broke on one side leaving the hitch head hanging on the shaft by one side. I know, someone right now is saying, "what the heck is that guy doing to his hitches?" I don't know. I am conservative, drive slow, and check my gear. Bad luck? I don't know. But, since the broken head, my wife has been obsessive about "weld checks". We don't roll until she has inspected all the hitch welds. I love her enthusiasm, and as people have mentioned, inspection is your best friend.
Wow! You've had this happen twice?!! I do give our hitch an inspection at every hookup, but I would never expect a failure like this (I'm usually making sure none of the bolts are working loose). Thanks for the warning post, and glad you are all safe. That really is something to see it hanging on a thread like that! I guess you can hope the chains would have done their job, but nobody wants to test it. Hopefully this will be your second AND LAST failure
__________________
Stephanie




Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #38
Patriotic
 
Chuck's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,533
Images: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There is a forum member that attributes anything that goes wrong on an Airstream to unbalanced running gear.
BAD moderator! BAD!


/hangs head in shame
__________________
Air:291
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
If we do anything unusual, I wrap the seat belt around the steering wheel to jog my memory that I need to do something over and above the usual checks
__________________
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #40
Overland Adventurer
 
AtomicNo13's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,885
Yes that's good but very unsafe if you drive away with it still over the steering wheel, you can't steer that way!🙌
__________________
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
mstephens's Avatar
 
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Wow! You've had this happen twice?!! I do give our hitch an inspection at every hookup, but I would never expect a failure like this (I'm usually making sure none of the bolts are working loose). Thanks for the warning post, and glad you are all safe. That really is something to see it hanging on a thread like that! I guess you can hope the chains would have done their job, but nobody wants to test it. Hopefully this will be your second AND LAST failure
Right. Loose bolts, unclipped key pins and the like. Most people wouldn't think they have to also inspect welds before leaving. I never did until I had the first hitch fail on 4 welds. Keep an eye on everything.
__________________
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #42
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
BAD moderator! BAD!


/hangs head in shame
You are merely following my bad example...
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.