MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
deja vu anyone?
Yes, it's déjà vu all over again.

The same Andersen apologists persist in claiming that the Andersen's relative small amount of load transfer capability is the fault of the TV's suspension.

If other WDHs have no problem adequately transferring load on a given TV,
while the Andersen WDH cannot adequately transfer load on the same TV --
how can that be the fault of the TV's suspension?

Seems to me it must be a shortcoming of the WDH.
Ron

Old 09-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ron - I know you are an expert here so forgive the novice nature of this question.

Let's say you're 100% correct that the design doesn't move lots of weight to the from axles.

Even if that's so - doesn't it still have a place in the market - especially if your TV doesn't want 100%FALR? If you have a lighter trailer and heavier duty TV, couldn't it be a perfect choice? Lightweight, easy to set up/use, innovative sway control, reasonable price, and users report the best anti-porpoising effect of any WDH they've used.

No product is 100% perfect - I mean, 3M has made billions off Post It notes which started as glue that didn't stick they way other glues did. Maybe Andersen has something similar here for hitches?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, what is the source of your information? .
Post #28 reflects my SOI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Every time I go camping I seem to seem more Andersons in use by not just Airstream owners but SOBs. That also goes for a noticeable increase in users of the Blue OX SwayPro system.
It has been reported many times that close to 90% of the rigs on the roads today have connections that need improvements. Your observation pretty much verifies that.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Even if that's so - doesn't it still have a place in the market - especially if your TV doesn't want 100%FALR? If you have a lighter trailer and heavier duty TV, couldn't it be a perfect choice? Lightweight, easy to set up/use, innovative sway control, reasonable price, and users report the best anti-porpoising effect of any WDH they've used.
"Perfect" is a matter of personal opinion.
I, personally, would opt for a system which could do the job at half the cost.

As regards the anti-porpoising effect -- I believe any reduction in porpoising is a result of reduced load transfer rather than any small amount of damping which might be produced by the urethane "springs".

Ron
Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Post #28 reflects my SOI.

Sorry I have that individual and his alter ego blocked. But as far as I know one malcontent does not qualify as "most".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
As regards the anti-porpoising effect -- I believe any reduction in porpoising is a result of reduced load transfer rather than any small amount of damping which might be produced by the urethane "springs".
Ron
Rethink this. In your, and a few other, zeal to discredit the Andersen system you have attacked every aspect of the system.

The chains would brake under load.
The system can't return 100% load to the front axle.
The chains would ware through the hangers.
Cold flow of over stressed material.
And now you question the resonant frequency of urethane.

There is a very simple test that will show the effectiveness of the system with regards to porpoising. Take a correctly setup bar system hitch and apply the commonly used shock absorber test of rocking up and down on the front of the TV. Now try that same test on an Andersen equipped rig, 100% load returned or not.

So far the only argument you have presented, that of weight transfer limitation, that has any validity has been accepted and the limitations noted to those TV that are lightly sprung.

Those readers that might be interested in following just how an innovative company is addressing older problem might want to visit the Andersen web site.

Andersen Manufacturing Inc.

You will quickly note that there products deviate from the accepted norm. Producing simpler and more effective ways of completing a task.
Their adjustable height ball has removed the inconvenience and need for tools while making an adjustment.
Their 5th wheel platform has been accepted as revolutionary.
Their trailer leveling blocks are surprisingly simple and effective.

In each case you will note the significant reduction in weight and simplicity of operation.

In my original tread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html
I noted this system was a Ha Ha Killer. That threatened the comfort zone of some poster to the Forum. To think that their overpriced hitch could be challenged by a Light Weight. Well it has.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

HaHa......killer. ha ha!

Overpriced?......to some maybe, to others not so much.

Smile provided free of charge...

Bob
Attached Files

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Price is relative to performance.

Our ProPride/Hensley design hitch was the best, most effective aftermarket money we ever spent on our Airstream, the Andersen hitch was the worst.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
In my original tread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html
I noted this system was a Ha Ha Killer. That threatened the comfort zone of some poster to the Forum. To think that their overpriced hitch could be challenged by a Light Weight. Well it has.
If you had any idea of how the Hensley works (technical merit) you would not say the things you do.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm sticking (no pun intended) with my PostIt analogy. I say this as a very happy ProPride user. I can completely see where the Andersen could be a very good WDH for certain applications - just as much as for some decision criteria, a PP would not be the best choice.

It should all start with everyone being better drivers anyway 😃

Keep the shiny side up - see you at a campground someday!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
If you had any idea of how the Hensley works (technical merit) you would not say the things you do.
I have never questioned the (technical merits) of the Ha Ha and am quite familiar with the principle it uses. My comment relates to a produce that is competitive in effectiveness at 1/4 the price.

That said I accept the fact, unlike others, that the hitch it is not a 100% replacement for all applications, no product ever is. However it does eliminate a majority of the inconveniences of the Ha Ha. I made the original tread so each Streamer can evaluate their choice based on what we present here.

Thanks SteveSueMac for your open mindedness.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Setting aside the Andersen's very limited weight distribution capability, compare it to the Hensley Arrow (HaHa) sway elimination ability.

The Hensley will not allow the trailer to be moved out of alignment with the tow vehicle by crosswinds or semi's passing; the Andersen (like any friction sway control) only resists the trailer being pushed out of alignment, and if the side force (wind) on the trailer is constant the trailer will remain out of alignment with the tow vehicle.

The Hensley projects the pivot point of the truck/trailer connection forward near the truck's rear axle, similar to a fifth wheel trailer. Any side forces on the trailer are stopped by the tires of the truck's rear axle. The pivot point of the Andersen is at the truck receiver (like any conventional hitch). Any side forces on the trailer push the receiver sideways, that force rotates around the truck's rear axle and is leveraged forward to the truck's steering axle.

If you happen onto an icy roadway, side forces on the trailer (wind and semi's passing) push the trailer out of alignment with the truck. The friction sway control tends to resist that side movement but it also resists the trailer returning to straight alignment of the truck/trailer. The Hensley allows no misalignment of the truck/trailer (only the truck can initiate a turn) and if the truck does turn out of alignment, there is no resistance to return to straight truck/trailer alignment.

The Hensley allows a choice of different weight distribution bars to match the truck/trailer combination and it fully capable of the task. The Andersen is not.

Andersen a HaHa killer; I don't think so.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Doug

You are correct. The Ha Ha will not ALLOW the trailer to go out of alignment with the TV.

That sound great till you are on that slick road and are subject to Wind Shear. Yes a passing semi and normal wind will be controlled but you have
just described the fail point.

If you analyze any system you can find the failure points.

Thanks for pointing this one out