Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
The HENSLEY would be the choice where a used one can be found, re-furbished, and the cost of warranty transer ($500) makes to whole thing come in quite a bit less than a PP. AND if the thing will properly distribute TW for a given TV/TT combination that one is not in need of a PP-sourced tilt adjustable head for the HA.

The only other hitch comparable (possibly better than) a VPP style hitch is the PULLRITE.

" . . scoured the threads about how the coupling latch might need to be modified for an ANDERSEN to work properly

That's not a weight-distribution hitch, just an anti-sway device (for TW's of above 500-lbs as bushing compression of more than 1/2-inch is not recommended). The concerns about the quality of the coupler are valid for any hitch and with any trailer. My SILVER STREAK came standard with the recommended ATWOOD coupler, yet it is still a cheap piece of metal ($32) and replacement cost (ceritified welder) might be around $200.

There are other threads about coupler integrity (and the info in the A-users thread ought to be linked to one of those) that make it an investigation to upgrade on par with safety chains (attachments to both vehicles, not just the TT), breakaway switches, etc. These items are rarely examined to a reasonable depth. Happily ignored, in short.

BULLDOG, QUICKBITE and perhaps some others aren't that much more expensive and seem better built (given the risk reduction potential).

I find that the "recommended" ATWOOD coupler makes locking the pawl with the several locks I have impossible. That, for me, is irrational excuse enough to upgrade what rationally known to be a low-cost coupler. I'd rather have better.

The hitch is the expensive piece, granted. But the rest of what couples the TT to TV bears scrutinization to fine degree.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote