Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution

Hi,

I'm towing a 24' 1959 Tradewind with a 2008 Toyota Highlander with tow package. The SUV outweighs the trailer by 200 lbs. Tows well, but I get about 1.5-2" of drop on the back end of the SUV and some sway if the trailer is not carefully loaded.

I'm looking at the Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution kit # 3339 3339 Andersen 'No-sway' Weight Distribution Hitch - 4" Drop/rise, 2" Ball, 3"-4" Frame Brackets : Amazon.com : Automotive.

Wondering if anyone can provide feedback on how well this system controls sway and more importantly equalized the weight between the front and rear tires of my SUV.

Steve

Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Here you go:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html

97 pages for your reading pleasure

Mike

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
See ya 'round here next month, Steve!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Here you go:

Mike
Ha ha ha ha. And still growing!
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Here you go:

Mike
LOL: If nothing else it is a bit entertaining.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Here you go:

97 pages for your reading pleasure Mike

Or you can view a quick summary here.......

Key info to date....

The ANDSN is a light weight connection system which at first glance appears to be easy to set up.

Some folks have tried it and like it.

One forum member also tried it and had problems setting it up to transfer weight. Since the beginning many have questioned whether it can transfer a satisfactory amount of weight to the front wheels. Some folks argue that because of the nature of some vehicle types a small amount of weight transfer is adequate. That raised more questions.
It was suggested it may "by design" be sketchy on slick roads. It was also suggested that if one of the chains broke the system would completely lose it's WD effect (safety?).

There does seem to be an issue with securing the brackets on the trailer frame so they don't move but with some extra work there are solutions available (drilling holes, welding).

One poster had concerns about the stresses that would be put on the trailer coupler. There are reports of a possible safety issues with parts wearing inside of the coupler. In one case the coupler disengaged from the ball. Some users have gone to the trouble of replacing the trailer's coupler. Note hours of work and $'s. Another user has installed a safety chain over the coupler to prevent it from coming off the ball.

It was reported that another possible limitation for some vehicles is that the ANDSN has no angle adjustment on the head like most other WDH's.

There is also a question about the built in sway control, how well it operates, and how long it will last (parts replacement?).

One comment was.... "Andersen support is great about some things and not so about about others. Very poor customer service IMHO." Others have reported good customer service from Andersen.

The ANDSN is new to the fray and many say it has not been out long enough to show long term reliability or performance. Note to date (as far as we know) no unbiased professional testing has been performed to compare it to other connection system designs.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
User's Report

In a nutshell, we use it and like it. Light, clean, simple, better sway control and much better ride than our previous Equal-I-Zer hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9193.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	178666  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ditto, I actually use it, like it and have experienced none of the issues taken out of context as posted by road ruler.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I don't use one on an Airstream, but just got back from a 2200+ mile trip with the 17' Casita equipped with the Andersen, and towed with a Toyota FJ Cruiser, and couldn't be happier. I drove thru some of the worst cross winds I've ever been in, and not one hint of a sway.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
On the road with my Anderson for the first time and found it a nice ride and easy on the trailer. No drawers or cabinets flopping open along the road. So for me I'm very happy with it. Also have a new directlink brake controller and like that also.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
thanks for all the positive reviews. It seems everyone is very happy with the sway control the Andersen offers.

My concern is if it will distribute weight to my front tires the same as a traditional WD system?

When you tighten the nuts on the chains, how do I know when to stop? Am I measuring the rise/drop in the rear/front tires and wheel well on my SUV?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveirving View Post
thanks for all the positive reviews. It seems everyone is very happy with the sway control the Andersen offers.

My concern is if it will distribute weight to my front tires the same as a traditional WD system?

When you tighten the nuts on the chains, how do I know when to stop? Am I measuring the rise/drop in the rear/front tires and wheel well on my SUV?
Steve, the instructions for distributing weight from the rear tow vehicle to the front are included with the hitch, and measures wheel well heights to return attitude of the tow vehicle to its original level, as with other weight distribution hitches.

Follow the instructions which tells you what height to install the drop bar, then tighten the chains with the trailer tongue jack relieving all weight off the hitch ball, and then lowering the tongue with the jack to apply the tension on the chains. If properly adjusted the tow vehicle will drop in height evenly front to rear. If not, raise it, loosen chains, and readjust the drop bar as per instructions. If you cannot transfer the weight as instructed, remove the hitch and return it to the manufacturer, it won't work for you.

If you do not follow the incredibly simple installation/adjustment procedure you may have trouble. Isn't this true of most products.

doug k
Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
My 2 Cents

Staveirving
I am not sure I agree with Roadruler's summary. I have read the thread 3 times because I have a 2013 Pathfinder that I will be towing a 64 Tradewind with, and I am trying to decide between Anderson and Reese hitches. My read is this: 1. The people who have an Anderson love it. So much so that the are willing to replace their coupler as a safety consideration to keep it. 2. Some people have noticed cracking on the coupler. It is not clear wither this is because of the Anderson or just the old couplers. 3. You may have to do maintenance replacement of the chains. 3. There is another camp that seems to dislike it, but for the most part do not have one. Their concerns are WD, coupler wear, and lack of sway control. But it seems that these are the things that those who have one love about it.
I am leaning toward the Anderson while replacing my coupler with an Easyhitch. The coupler replacement is something I think should be done with a 45 year old coupler any way. I am doing this even though my trailer guy thinks mine is fine. At the same time, I must tell you I have never really towed any thing and consider myself the newest of newbees. You should read the thread and make up your own mind.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
This subject, and to some degree this thread, is becoming a debate very similar to Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. When it comes to the subject of hitches, on these forums, essentially no one is willing to admit that they do not have the hitch that is the optimum one. Therefor, the debate sooner or later gets less and less polite. My recommendation to the OP would be to read the previously referenced thread with that in mind and then do some internet research on the subject away from Airforums. Then put a lot of thought into what your personal objectives are, and reach a decision on your own. A lot of the info about choice of hitches that you will receive here, or for that matter probably any other RV users forum, will be a mixture of about 70% emotion concerning pride of ownership, 20% mistaken use of data, and 10% actual useful facts.

Ken