Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I set my Andersen (and my Equal-I-Zer) according to mfg's instructions, using wheel well measurements. I have driven both thousands of miles and they both work very well, but the Andersen performs much better. I have not seen any need to weigh either one.

I'm not here to PROVE anything on this USER'S thread, just report my installation and experience. You have it as best I can, if you want more buy one, or ask Andersen.

Those who don't want to accept or understand the concept, won't, no matter what information is provided.

doug k

Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
Hi all, got my anderson hitch . Towing our 24' 59 tradewind with our toyota highlander. System totally controls sway and completely eliminates the rear end sag. Four tires firmly planted. Happy campers.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Stockbridge , Georgia
Why do people tell me something is not good when they have never tried one. Are all these people qualified engineers? Or just armchair engineers? I have read everything I can find on the Anderson and that is why I have one. It suits my age and travels perfectly as it does many others. Nothing is perfect. But gone are some of the things that annoyed me. Like the snap crackle and pop of bars when turning or backing up. My little old 1972 Safari is a joy to pull now. Easy to hitch and unhitch.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
Drove on I-70 today towing our tradewind with toyota highlander v6, fully loaded, 65 mph in very windy conditions across ohio. Andersen no sway could not have performed better. Awesome product.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Had an interesting and unintended test of my Andersen system today. I needed to take my trailer to a shop about 15 miles away. After hooking up I decided to not bother with connecting the Andersen for such a short trip. The trip over turned into a near white knuckle experience. Cross winds and semi traffic was blowing the trailer several times into some nasty sways. The bucking caused by the crappy highway surface conditions was very uncomfortable. After getting the work completed I hooked up including the Andersen this time. Same winds, semi traffic and road conditions. The rig was rock steady for the entire trip back. Lesson learned: Always use the Andersen system when towing. Over 7,500 miles and still a happy user.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I thought that the moderator (Kevin245) closed these threads.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Cross winds and semi traffic was blowing the trailer several times into some nasty sways.
WOW, a big pick up towing a tiny aerodynamic Airstream and that kind of action was taking place. Yikes
Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #64

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I thought that the moderator (Kevin245) closed these threads.
We closed the Andersen user thread after it turned into a bash-fest while this thread remained open. This thread had been largely ignored of late, however be advised that should the same line of posting manifest itself here we will intercede as well. We (The Site Team) really prefer to let members control the direction and influence of any given thread as long as things maintain a degree of civility and stay within the requirements of the community rules.

Let's keep this on the level please.

On behalf of the site team,

Kevin245

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
I was surprised to see the other thread closed, but I understand why. I hope this one stays civil enough to remain open. I had gotten a lot of valuable info from these threads. It is because of that info that I have the Andersen system and have also upgraded to the Quickbite coupler. Granted I have a small trailer, towed with a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (i.e. 4 door). This combination solves a lot of problems for me and now I tow confidently with a rock solid ride.

I have towed in high winds and up fairly steep climbs. The hitch/coupler combo has worked flawlessly and much better than my original Reese dual cam setup. Not bashing the Reese at all. A fine system, but too heavy and overkill for my needs.

Here's hoping we just include helpful info here for others who are seeking answers. I like to check for new developments on the equipment I use.

Thanks all,
Rich
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I recently received a new owners manual from Andersen. If you are an early user of the Andersen system ask them to send you the new manual. It contains a number of changes and set up recommendations. If you not yet a user but are considering becoming one it contains much useful information and will answer many of your questions. Happy Trails!

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The original Andersen Users Thread is currently closed but it is still available for reading. I suggest any that may want to research the Andersen question before buying may take a look.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Sure, it would take one 4 or 5 days to read that 2403 page novel but better still just review the Adsn summary here in this thread, Post #6......

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...on-101220.html
Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Time is valuable. I think a better use of it would be to read the reviews and updates from actual users, both satisfied and those that found and reported legitimate issues. They are easy to pick out in the other thread. Happy Trails!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
[QUOTE=Road Ruler;1259312]Or you can view a quick summary here.......
The ANDSN is a light weight connection system which at first glance appears to be easy to set up.

This is an accurate statement if you accept the term Light Weigh to refer to the overall weight of the system and not to mean an inferior system. As for the hitchhike time it can take a little as 2 or 3 min. to hitch and less to unhitch.

Some folks have tried it and like it.

The number of those who like the system is significantly greater than those that have had an issue.There have been issues with some of the vehicles that are lightly sprung. In this case the Andersen can not transfer as much weight to the front axle as the bar type systems do. The Andersen system is ddressed to the greater number of currently used TVs,

One forum member also tried it and had problems setting it up to transfer weight. Since the beginning many have questioned whether it can transfer a satisfactory amount of weight to the front wheels. Some folks argue that because of the nature of some vehicle types a small amount of weight transfer is adequate. That raised more questions.
It was suggested it may "by design" be sketchy on slick roads. It was also suggested that if one of the chains broke the system would completely lose it's WD effect (safety?).

In the majority of situations currently in use the Andersen can transfer enought weight to return the front in to the original steering geometry, thus the same road contact weight as while not towing. The historical need to transfer addition weigth to the front axle of the TV was more of a need to get weight OFF the rear axle because many combinations exceeded the rear axle limit. As noted above most current TV no longer have that need. For those that are towing with lightly sprung TVs it is clear that the Andersen is not a choice but should not be noted as an overall limitation of the Andersen

There does seem to be an issue with securing the brackets on the trailer frame so they don't move but with some extra work there are solutions available (drilling holes, welding).

The original mounting system had the brackets mounted vertically to the trailer frame and secured top and bottom acroos the frame with bolts torqued to 175 ft lbs and a larger set set screw into the tariler frame about 1 in. from the bottom of the bracket. That set screw became a point of rotation and allowed movement between the bolts and the frame. This movement caused the chain angle, coming out of the brackets, to increase and cause a point of ware on the chains. The angle issue has been corrected by factory design. The movement issue on the frame has been addressed by users in several different ways. I put through 2 bolts through the brackets and the frame. Some have welded the brackets in place. Some have added an additional set screw near the top of the brackets. In any case this is not a current consideration.

One poster had concerns about the stresses that would be put on the trailer coupler. There are reports of a possible safety issues with parts wearing inside of the coupler. In one case the coupler disengaged from the ball. Some users have gone to the trouble of replacing the trailer's coupler. Note hours of work and $'s. Another user has installed a safety chain over the coupler to prevent it from coming off the ball.

Several, myself included, have seen the Atwood coupler user by Airstream fail and have replaced the coupe with stronger units. The Andersen system applies force to the couple differently that traditional couplers. This change in the forces within the coupler causes the pawl of the Atwood to be forced upwards and shears the fin that locks the pawl in place to fail. Andersen now has a statement in there literature to not use their system with an Atwood coupler. Those seeing this as a limitation should not consider the Andersen. However those interested in the advantages of the Andersen should consider the overall project to include the changing of the coupler.

It was reported that another possible limitation for some vehicles is that the ANDSN has no angle adjustment on the head like most other WDH's.

There is no need for the head angle adjustment common to many bar type WD systems. The Andersen is not a bar type system and has no more need for that adjustment than a diesel engine has for spark plugs. The argument is a red herring.

There is also a question about the built in sway control, how well it operates, and how long it will last (parts replacement?).

Andersen comes with a lifetime guarantee. To date I know of 2 user that have had the sway control material flow from excessive load on it. In both cases the Andersen was being used on lightly sprung TVs. In one case system was being tested by a competitor and in the other the material was replaced by Andersen but the owner choise not to continue using the system. I bought it.

One comment was.... "Andersen support is great about some things and not so about about others. Very poor customer service IMHO." Others have reported good customer service from Andersen.

The view of overall customer support for any product will vary from customer to customer. However as noted above Andersen has quickly responder to several suggestions from user and changed there manual and construction accordingly.

The ANDSN is new to the fray and many say it has not been out long enough to show long term reliability or performance. Note to date (as far as we know) no unbiased professional testing has been performed to compare it to other connection system designs.

There are those who choose not to buy the first year of a car design and historicaly this has been a good choice in many cases. Then there are those who have chosen to stand in line for the IPhone. Each has to decide which group they are in.

QUOTE]

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote