Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Steve, one of the many benefits of the Andersen design is the lack of spring (w.d.) bars lifting vertically, replaced by chains and a urethane bushing pulling horizontally.

With our Equal-I-Zer hitch we would frequently come on old segmented concrete roadways that the spring bars would begin porpoising the truck and trailer, usually to the point where we would have to either slow down excessively or find another route. Traveling with the Andersen this fall and winter some 4,000 miles we never had any porpoising. Much easier on us and the truck/trailer.

This feature is such an improvement that I would expect variations of the Andersen hitch to be developed by other hitch makers, challenging the spring bars as the standard method of weight distribution.

doug k

Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Steve, a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveirving View Post
Hi,

I'm towing a 24' 1959 Tradewind with a 2008 Toyota Highlander with tow package. The SUV outweighs the trailer by 200 lbs. Tows well, but I get about 1.5-2" of drop on the back end of the SUV and some sway if the trailer is not carefully loaded.

I'm looking at the Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution kit # 3339 3339 Andersen 'No-sway' Weight Distribution Hitch - 4" Drop/rise, 2" Ball, 3"-4" Frame Brackets : Amazon.com : Automotive.

Wondering if anyone can provide feedback on how well this system controls sway and more importantly equalized the weight between the front and rear tires of my SUV.

Steve
I don't think I saw any mention of what you are currently using for a WD hitch..?

Please excuse me if I have missed it.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
We have not been using any weight distro system. Just carefully loading the trailer to reach a tongue weight that equals 10% of our loaded weight and a friction sway control bar. Been fine for a few thousand miles. I'd just like to get my first WD system and experience it all.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
thanks for all the positive reviews. It seems everyone is very happy with the sway control the Andersen offers.

My concern is if it will distribute weight to my front tires the same as a traditional WD system?

When you tighten the nuts on the chains, how do I know when to stop? Am I measuring the rise/drop in the rear/front tires and wheel well on my SUV?
The Anderson does not distribute the weight to the front of the tow vehicle as effectively as a spring bar hitch.

This is an advantage if you use a truck for a tow vehicle, it puts more weight on the back where a truck likes it.

For a car, not so good. Can Am Andy tried one on one of his typical car towing an Airstream setups and could not get enough weight on the front of the car no matter how much he tightened up on the chains.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Another thread, another place.

If you like to read, here is a whole bunch more on a differnt forum. I did not read more than the first few posts, because I am not intersted enough. However this thread was not started with the idea of providing support for owners who are already convinced that it is a good concept.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch

Ken
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
The Anderson does not distribute the weight to the front of the tow vehicle as effectively as a spring bar hitch.

This is an advantage if you use a truck for a tow vehicle, it puts more weight on the back where a truck likes it.

For a car, not so good. Can Am Andy tried one on one of his typical car towing an Airstream setups and could not get enough weight on the front of the car no matter how much he tightened up on the chains.
I disagree with your statement: "The Anderson does not distribute the weight to the front of the tow vehicle as effectively as a spring bar hitch." And, I disagree because I use one, granted on a small trailer with a small tow vehicle, but it actually distributes the weight much better than the conventional bar type hitch it replaced. I actually had to reduce the adjustment from what the Andersen instructions stated because I was getting too much weight distrubution and loading the front of the TV too heavily.

And about Can Am Andy's photo of the hitch he tried, it was obvious to all of the people on here with actual experience with the Andersen, that he had bottomed out the chain adjustment and over compressed the springs. Sort of seems to me he was trying to prove the Andersen inefective.

Ganaraska, have you used an Andersen hitch?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have still have the Equal-I-Zer hitch I used for last few years and the Andersen hitch, so have experience with both on this Airstream.

After a few miles test run with the Andersen, it was an easy choice to use it when taking off on our 6-8,000 mile trip last fall (not done yet). With 4,000 miles towing with the Andersen, the Equal-I-zer is for sale.

doug k
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just returned from the first trip using the Andersen Hitch. While the trip was only 340 miles. I drove Hwy 85 from Cheyenne to Torrington, Wy the day after a major blizzard. A considerable amount of ice and slush. I will provide more details along with pics. Soon.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I disagree with your statement: "The Anderson does not distribute the weight to the front of the tow vehicle as effectively as a spring bar hitch." And, I disagree because I use one, granted on a small trailer with a small tow vehicle, but it actually distributes the weight much better than the conventional bar type hitch it replaced. I actually had to reduce the adjustment from what the Andersen instructions stated because I was getting too much weight distrubution and loading the front of the TV too heavily.

And about Can Am Andy's photo of the hitch he tried, it was obvious to all of the people on here with actual experience with the Andersen, that he had bottomed out the chain adjustment and over compressed the springs. Sort of seems to me he was trying to prove the Andersen inefective.

Ganaraska, have you used an Andersen hitch?
Steve, well said. I don't think that I could add anything to Ganaraska's unfounded statement.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
If you like to read, here is a whole bunch more on a differnt forum. I did not read more than the first few posts, because I am not intersted enough. However this thread was not started with the idea of providing support for owners who are already convinced that it is a good concept.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch

Ken
Wow! There's some detail in that thread, and a few side threads as well. Thanks for the link, Ken.

I don't have an Andersen, nor do I want one, but it's been fascinating to see the arguments ranging backwards and forwards. It's clear that Andersen users are a bunch of happy campers, despite the math and physics pointing some areas of potential weakness. Like the bumblebee argument, though, it flies despite the theory.

For myself I think the design of the Andersen is innovative, especially the sway control, but the method by which the torque required for effective weight distribution is generated doesn't seem to be as effective as a conventional WD system. I base that on the math and physics and not any real world experience, by the way, so it's back to the bumblebees, eh?

Good luck Andersen users, keep the updates coming. Me? I'll stick with what I have.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Wrote the results of my first trip with the Andersen Hitch on the other thread that is about this hitch,
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Wrote the results of my first trip with the Andersen Hitch on the other thread that is about this hitch,
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1260530

Thanks for the report, similar to our own experience.

doug k
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Hi,

I'm towing a 24' 1959 Tradewind with a 2008 Toyota Highlander with tow package. The SUV outweighs the trailer by 200 lbs. Tows well, but I get about 1.5-2" of drop on the back end of the SUV and some sway if the trailer is not carefully loaded.

I'm looking at the Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution kit # 3339 3339 Andersen 'No-sway' Weight Distribution Hitch - 4" Drop/rise, 2" Ball, 3"-4" Frame Brackets : Amazon.com : Automotive.

Wondering if anyone can provide feedback on how well this system controls sway and more importantly equalized the weight between the front and rear tires of my SUV.

Steve

The first job of a weight-distribution hitch is to restore the tow vehicle front axle to the unhitched value. This is a vehicle manufacturer requirement.

Good luck finding that data except on trailer TW so light that a WDH may not be necessary. What data is available shows that proper leverage is not forthcoming in restoration of the front axle weight value as shown on a scale ticket.

Anti-sway is only a vehicle manufacturer recommendation, an option. Not required. It is both separate and secondary to the above requirement.

The Anderson fails to meet the test necessary to be called a weight-distribution hitch.

Irrelevant, then, that the anti-sway is better than friction bar type (since all others are as well).

Spend your money on something that works.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
slowmover, thanks for the report, although you never seen nor used an Andersen.

doug k