Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #197
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
I just ordered an Anderson weight distribution and a bulldog 15k coupler... This shall be added to the new 16" LT commercial tires, hopefully making the rig ready for an epic 6 week trip we have planned in a few weeks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	028655.png
Views:	57
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	217354   Click image for larger version

Name:	wd-hitch-6in-no-frame.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	217355  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P0036-C13031-Initial-07-21-2014_11-59-17.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	217356  

Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by TavnAsh View Post
I just ordered an Anderson weight distribution and a bulldog 15k coupler... This shall be added to the new 16" LT commercial tires, hopefully making the rig ready for an epic 6 week trip we have planned in a few weeks!!
You may need to lengthen the chains on the Andersen as the Bulldog coupler is several inches longer than the original coupler, and the brackets to hold the chains can't be moved much due to the gas tank location.

It is not a problem to change the chain length, just a heads up that you probably will need to do it.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #199
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
I am planning on having the welding shop put a bead on the anderson brackets when they are in place... So I will just put them in the best location and match the chain after they are set. I honestly never gave the chain a thought, so I am glad you brought that up, thanks!!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #200
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Please note.

Andersen has moved the Allen set screw to the top of the brackets. This means the brackets will rotate against that point and self lock against the lower bracket bolt. Do not weld in place as there should no longer a need. If by chance, and using the new angled brackets, it looks like the chains will not line up with the brackets when tensioned and you have to weld the lower end of the brackets do it by welding a stop block to the trailer frame and have the Andersen bracket come to rest against that block. Welding the hitch in place is a one time deal you may regret later.

Also when installing the coupler make sure it is positioned using the jack post as the locator. If the welder just slaps it onto the frame odds are the jack post will not go back on. This may require additional material welder to the lower edge of the coupler as there will be a space there. Not a big deal if you know about this before any welding.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #201
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Please note.

Andersen has moved the Allen set screw to the top of the brackets. This means the brackets will rotate against that point and self lock against the lower bracket bolt. Do not weld in place as there should no longer a need. If by chance, and using the new angled brackets, it looks like the chains will not line up with the brackets when tensioned and you have to weld the lower end of the brackets do it by welding a stop block to the trailer frame and have the Andersen bracket come to rest against that block. Welding the hitch in place is a one time deal you may regret later.

Also when installing the coupler make sure it is positioned using the jack post as the locator. If the welder just slaps it onto the frame odds are the jack post will not go back on. This may require additional material welder to the lower edge of the coupler as there will be a space there. Not a big deal if you know about this before any welding.

Thanks for the info!!! I was just thing of cutting and grinding the old coupler completely off, would you recommend just keeping it on? Also the post before yours mentioned lengthening the chains, looks like. I can't swap them out, what type of link would you use to get some more length out of the chains? Thanks again for the info, probably saved me some serious time and errors!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You won't know what has to be cut off of the old coupler till you have the new coupler in your hands. All I had to cut off was the ball socket and place the new coupler so the jack post holes line up.

You can extend the chains with a Safety Chain Quick Link.
etrailer.com - Products chain link

In my case one line was a perfect length and still allowed me to use the Andersen tread count on the adjustment. Keep in mind you do not have to use those settings, they are arbitrary, you just have to be able to put enough load on the chains to get the transfer you are looking for.

Another thing you will soon find useful. When hooking up and at an angle different to that when you dropped the trailer. You can adjust the chains to different setting side to side to allow you to put the plate on. The plate does not have to be square to the tongue..That to is arbitrary just as long as you set then to transfer the desired load.

You will not realize the advantages of this hitch until you use it for a while.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #203
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You won't know what has to be cut off of the old coupler till you have the new coupler in your hands. All I had to cut off was the ball socket and place the new coupler so the jack post holes line up.

You can extend the chains with a Safety Chain Quick Link.
etrailer.com - Products chain link

In my case one line was a perfect length and still allowed me to use the Andersen tread count on the adjustment. Keep in mind you do not have to use those settings, they are arbitrary, you just have to be able to put enough load on the chains to get the transfer you are looking for.

Another thing you will soon find useful. When hooking up and at an angle different to that when you dropped the trailer. You can adjust the chains to different setting side to side to allow you to put the plate on. The plate does not have to be square to the tongue..That to is arbitrary just as long as you set then to transfer the desired load.

You will not realize the advantages of this hitch until you use it for a while.

Thanks, I just ordered the 1/2 chain links incase I need them. I am really looking forward to trying out the hitch. I read most of the longer threads about the hitch and decided on paper it was a better design idea forClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1406459876.655833.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	726.2 KB
ID:	217516 our application. I will get some pictures up of the install and a good report of the hitch, it's first test will be over 3500 miles, south FL to PA and back via a good portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Keep those tips coming!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #204

2013 28' International
LAVAL , Quebec
Hello, I just read about your visit at Andersen factory.Do you have photo about your coupler fixed to your WD and the security you fixed on the coupler. I just bought a WD 3350 for my new 2014 International 27 FB and want to be sure to be safe.
Thanks,
Mireille
mireilleverdi@hotmail.com
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #205

Sundre , Alberta
I thought I would post here to get some advice on my hitch. I drive a 2013 GMC Denali 2500HD, and will be pulling a 2015 Open Range TT (approx 9500 lbs UVW, approx 37' total). I'm going to be picking up the TT this weekend and need to make a decision on hitch pretty soon. Basically my options are Anderson No Sway W/D or a Husky W/D hitch for considerably less. The first reviews I saw on Amazon were very strong, but after reading some message boards there seems to be a fair amount of critics.

Is the Anderson worth the price? Is it effective W/D? Is the No-Sway effective?

I will definitely be traveling in the Rocky Mountains (right out my backdoor), and would like to travel into the United States as well. Basically, I don't want to be restricted to light, easy haul routes. Thanks
Old 11-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There are hundreds and hundreds of posts here about the Anderson. Many satisfied users (see the post two above yours). Also many detractors who claim that the hitch didn't work for them.

Kind of like asking "Protestant or Catholic" -- fervent adherents on both sides.

There is no consensus so you are basically on your own.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1774 View Post
I thought I would post here to get some advice on my hitch. I drive a 2013 GMC Denali 2500HD, and will be pulling a 2015 Open Range TT (approx 9500 lbs UVW, approx 37' total). I'm going to be picking up the TT this weekend and need to make a decision on hitch pretty soon. Basically my options are Anderson No Sway W/D or a Husky W/D hitch for considerably less. The first reviews I saw on Amazon were very strong, but after reading some message boards there seems to be a fair amount of critics.

Is the Anderson worth the price? Is it effective W/D? Is the No-Sway effective?

I will definitely be traveling in the Rocky Mountains (right out my backdoor), and would like to travel into the United States as well. Basically, I don't want to be restricted to light, easy haul routes. Thanks
Hi there.

One overarching thought - with a new truck and trailer which certainly cost a pretty penny, you may be best served by making the hitch decision based on functionality first and cost dead last. Amortized over say 10 years of ownership of your rig, even an expensive ProPride at $2500 is only going to cost you $20/month. An Andersen at $500 will cost you about $5/month and a $100 hitch is going to be less than $1/mo. Given what you'll spend in fuel, camping reservations, bundle firewood at campsites, etc., this is one safety area that shouldn't be a target for skimping.

That said, I'm spending your money, so.... :-)

With a TT that large you will likely be over 1000# tongue weight and unfortunately, the Andersen does not have the capability of distributing a lot of weight back to the front axles. Even though I don't have one, I've been know to recommend it as an option for people with 3/4 ton trucks that require 50% front axle load restoration and a smaller trailer. When you connect that trailer, you're going to lift several hundred pounds off the front axle which will negatively affect your ability to steer.

I wouldn't recommend it for your setup. There are lots of choices. I use and would happily recommend the ProPride (I'm not affiliated with them in any way) as it prevents sway from happening and you can dial in the exact amount of weight distribution you need but it is expensive and heavy. Other choices would be good for your rig as well. Tons of information here... Good luck!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #208

Sundre , Alberta
I appreciate your response, Steve. Unfortunately, I feel like time wasn't on my side and I phoned the dealer to get the Anderson prepared for my pick up on Saturday. I didn't have much for options from my dealer and after spending what I did on my holiday trailer I was able to get a few hundred dollars off of the Anderson. I will give it a test drive on Saturday as I tow my rig a few hundred miles home. I guess it isn't the end of the world if I feel like I need something better down the road. Cheers
Old 11-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
No problem, Cody...

If you have the opportunity, try to hit the cat scales and see how much weight is being distributed with the hitch. Your truck's manual will tell you what percent front load restoration it wants for the trailer and tongue weight you have.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #210
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Cody, if your 2500HD is anything like mine, GM does not require a WD hitch for your application. I am not saying they are a bad thing, just that GM engineers are not nearly as worried about front axle weight restoration as some of the posters on here. But what do they know? I think you will enjoy the many benefits of the Andersen. Let us know how it works out.