Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_anesthete View Post
Unless it is purchased via Amazon Prime....which is what I'm about to do. If the Andersen doesn't fit the bill, I'll return it and get a Reese Strait Line. BTW, I'm a Ford guy but this hitch is for the ML320CDI and a 31' Sov.

Whaddaya think, folks?
Well, you asked what we thought but didn't get what you were hoping to hear.

My Andersen experience and others who have done the calculations tell us it is unlikely you will be able to distribute the tongue weight of your 31' Sov within 3/4" of original level, unless the tow vehicle has air leveling suspension which of course is not weight distribution. As for leveling the trailer, that's just a matter of moving the hitch up on your draw bar.

The danger is you may be too light on your steering axle when encountering slick road conditions. This can be especially dangerous on icy roads. Nor is there any way to lesson friction sway control to help the trailer follow the truck on icy roads with Andersen, as there is with bar style friction sway control hitches.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #156

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

A reminder to keep things in check here folks. Let's keep the snarky comments to ourselves as well as any sarcasm. If we can not or will not keep things nice then we will intercede. We would prefer not to do that so the path going forward is up to you all.

Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution - Page 5 - Airstream Forums

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Everyone has their opinion. Some feel strongly about theirs because of safety and other issues. I am trying to take all ideas into account and doing what I think is best for me. I have changed my opinion on repeating posters, many have very valid ideas and should at least be taken into consideration. Remember, these people are trying to be helpful! No matter what the thread is, read and make tour own decisions. Go camping, jim
Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I have a lightly used Anderson hitch I'd like to sell. I found it didn't move quite enough weight (Cat scale verified) for my unique setup. The Atwood coupler incompatibilty issue finished it for me. Other than those two issues the hitch is fine.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #159
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Well, you asked what we thought but didn't get what you were hoping to hear.
I gave up hope the moment I started reading this thread.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_anesthete View Post

I gave up hope the moment I started reading this thread.
Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs :-)

Besides - it seems the Andersen (which has weight, simplicity and cost advantages over many other options) may really have a sweet spot for lighter tongue weights on heavier TV suspensions. No solution is perfect. Just know why you do whatever you do and then camp like crazy :-)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #161
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Dream Machine

Nothing has changed going thru this thread. Still stuck on WD and disdain for the Andersen from the same group. WD belongs w/ the other hitches. The Andersen only deals w/ fender measurements and trailer level and good to go. I've had a 31 footer vintage and suv tv w/ no problems. I really enjoyed travelling again and decided to go newer. Got a 25' flying cloud w/ a toyota tundra and went cross country seamlessly. Did put in the Quickbite and welded the Andersen brackets. BTW, the anti-bounce feature of an Andersen must be felt. See ya'll on the road somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	210545  
Old 04-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs :-)

Besides - it seems the Andersen (which has weight, simplicity and cost advantages over many other options) may really have a sweet spot for lighter tongue weights on heavier TV suspensions. No solution is perfect. Just know why you do whatever you do and then camp like crazy :-)

You have it exactly right. The more robust the tow vehicle compared to the trailer, the more you will like the Andersen. On the other hand, if the tow vehicle is in trouble with being overloaded, the Andersen won't lift the back end of the vehicle enough to correct the problem. It is great a lots of things but putting every pound possible on the front axle is not its strong suit. Me, I am enjoying not towing for a while as I tour the South in a Airstream Interstate motorhome. Enjoy your hitches and your glitches.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Dream Machine

Correction..actually did cross-country w/ SUV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0001.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	210549  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
My sentiments exactly

One thing is left out of most comments is that, the longer the tow vehicle (like pickups with crew cabs) the more difficult it is to transfer weight to the front axle. With any WD setup.
However in that instance it is also less critical.
The more you crank the adjustment to force it forward the more pressure on the entire hitch linkage.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #165
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
still loving it

For what it's worth, I am still loving the ease of hookup with my Andersen/quickbite combination. Also, the ease of storage of the parts. Granted my AS is only a 16 footer, and results on a larger AS might differ. But if you have a small Bambi, you might want to consider the Andersen (but be sure to read about the warnings re your existing coupler-I changed to the quickbite and found cracking inside my old coupler after removal).

Old 05-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #166
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm still working on getting the quickbite done. I tow 30'er and am very happy with my anderson. But I tow with a heavy truck. I may be able to get it installed in the next week or two. We'll see. Nice you hear you are happy with yours too.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #167
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I'm still working on getting the quickbite done. I tow 30'er and am very happy with my anderson. But I tow with a heavy truck. I may be able to get it installed in the next week or two. We'll see. Nice you hear you are happy with yours too.
Adding the quickbite changed my tongue length a bit and I had to reposition my Andersen brackets. Luckily I had not welded them in place yet, which I then had done after moving them. The only issue was moving my propane line. All I did was pop one rivet and remove one clamp to pull the line away enough to allow the bracket to move up.

The end result was much better than what I had before. I think you will love the quickbite. It's a small relearning curve, but I find hitching up is even easier than before.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
For others that may be installing a Quick Bite coupler. You do not have to move the Andersen brackets. The addition of a standard chain coupling will make up the difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Quickbite 0017.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	213227  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote