Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
It seems to me that we all need to agree to disagree. I feel that the Andersen hitch works better than the old straight line hitch that was with my 87 25 foot Sovereign. The ride is better and the sway control is equal to the straight line hitch. The Andersen weights about 65 pounds less than the straight line, thus 65 pounds less to be lifted by the hitch. The Andersen along with the Quick Bite coupler is much easier for me, and my wife if need be, to get connected to our TV.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
That's why I'm asking HowieE (or anyone really) about the WD transfer measured on CAT scales (honest curiosity - no bait!! ). My trailer (w/PP hitch) has about 1040# tongue weight. As an aside - since the PP weighs 200+#, that number would probably be somewhat lighter. Connected to my 3/4 ton truck, 500# comes off the front axle of my TV. My truck's manual tells me for my setup, I'm looking for 50% FALR. I get 56% (according to the scales) FALR. Could the Andersen move 250# to my front axle?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #129
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
I have a 2013 Pathfinder towing a 64 Tradewind with a tongue weight of 450 lbs. According to the Cat scales I am transferring all but 60 lbs to the front wheels with just the driver up front. I find that I like it backed off of that a little. My all wheel drive meter does not show any unusual traction on the rear wheels. I feel no float at all. The rig is steady with oncoming trucks with no porpoising. Combined with a Quickbite coupler I find the Anderson safe and easy to use. I will also note that the car sits about a 1/2 inch low in the back with the trailer level.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #130
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post
I have a 2013 Pathfinder towing a 64 Tradewind with a tongue weight of 450 lbs. According to the Cat scales I am transferring all but 60 lbs to the front wheels with just the driver up front.---
Can you post the complete set of CAT scale weights?

That information would help to provide a basis for answering the question posed by SteveSueMac in the post prior to yours.

Ron
Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #131
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post
I have a 2013 Pathfinder towing a 64 Tradewind with a tongue weight of 450 lbs. According to the Cat scales I am transferring all but 60 lbs to the front wheels with just the driver up front. I find that I like it backed off of that a little. My all wheel drive meter does not show any unusual traction on the rear wheels. I feel no float at all. The rig is steady with oncoming trucks with no porpoising. Combined with a Quickbite coupler I find the Anderson safe and easy to use. I will also note that the car sits about a 1/2 inch low in the back with the trailer level.
Welcome to the world of people who have actually used the Andersen hitch. The ability to tune it to your towing combination is not always listed as one of its benefits.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #132
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
I am a little embarrassed. I posted "all but 60 lbs." in my post but it should read 160 lbs. The other results I posted remain true. I posted because I wanted to give some results with the Anderson on a "lightly sprung" vehicle. The Nissan recommends WD on hitch weights above 450 lbs (up to 750 lbs) for the 2013 Pathfinder. The hitch weight of my Tradewind is 450 lbs. The weight transfer I get puts me well within those limits. The 160 lbs. was at 8 1/2 treads showing so one could still move more weight but 10 threads gets really tight. Like I said before I like to back off the 8 1/2 to 7 treads. At 7 treads I sit a little low in the back (about 1/2 in) but I get great sway control and no porpoising. And as I said before I can not detect any traction issues. The Anderson is not the greatest at WD but does transfer weight. At the same time it has some great features: light weight, easy to use, great sway control, lack of noise, and great porpoising control. I think the over all effect is a very safe ride.

For those of you still calling for Cat Scale photos mine are in my trailer which is currently stored and buried under 16 inches of snow. However, in the locked Anderson tread there are several posted. I believe the tread is still available.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Steve Sue Mac

In answer to your question about scale tickets.

My trailer is also under 12 in. of snow but I have posted my scale tickets in the past and nothing has change with the rig since then. The post is #2363 on the original Andersen thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...92131-169.html

I think there are other scale tickets posted in that tread but I have not searched the complete tread for them.

Please not my TV is a very heavily sprung truck and the trailer is 34 ft. long, somewhat beyond the claimed limits set by many of the detractors posting here.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Steve Sue Mac

In answer to your question about scale tickets.

My trailer is also under 12 in. of snow but I have posted my scale tickets in the past and nothing has change with the rig since then. The post is #2363 on the original Andersen thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...92131-169.html

I think there are other scale tickets posted in that tread but I have not searched the complete tread for them.

Please not my TV is a very heavily sprung truck and the trailer is 34 ft. long, somewhat beyond the claimed limits set by many of the detractors posting here.
HowieE,

I'm sure that most people are as confused as I while looking at the two weight tickets you posted. First there appears there is no weight ticket of the tow vehicle without the trailer, and then with all the scribblings on the tickets, it is almost impossible to decipher what the Andersen actually did.

I would suggest if you really want people to believe in the hitch's capability, you get three new weight tickets, one of the tow vehicle without the trailer, one with the tow vehicle and trailer without WD, and the third one with the trailer and the weight distribution applied.

That would be a true and unarguable testament to it's capabilities.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is not common for those using a Cat scale to get tickets representing the tare weight of the trailer or the tractor. Scale tickets are generally used to determine the change in gross weight by a given change in the load. Now that said I am using the scale ticket to see changes in the load of individual axles by applying a WD hitch. The individual weights of the truck or trailer have no significances to that calculation.

My scribbles are the math represent the net change per axle. With the WD hitch applied there is a 120 lb reload on the front axle, a 120 lb. reduction on the drive axle and a 20 lb. addition to the trailer axle, after applying the WD hitch. Additionally please note that a Cat Scale has a 20lb.acceptable accuracy thus the difference of 20 lbs. in the 2 gross weights.

The scribbles of 4220 and 4200 are the weights of the front and rear axle of the TV from an earlier weighing when I did weigh just the TV. The gross axle weight for my truck are 4700 lbs front and 5250 lbs. rear. Those numbers are noted there just to satisfy me that I was within the limits of the truck.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #136
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A thing is or it isn't. I just yesterday used CAT scales in a dispute over net load on an 18-wheeler load. The customer & consignee scales were at one end and the loaded & empty weights of the rig per CAT were at the other. As different tractors and trailers are involved the TARE of each is an issue, not simply the combined weight.

Statements that an ANDERSON is a great hitch are meaningless without proof of it meeting the definition of a WD hitch except when loads transferred do not exceed the laughably small 200# offered thus far as proof.

Subjective isn't with meaning outside of definitions. Objective is with meaning given a full set of scale tickets that definitions are tested. This thing, this WD hitch is or isn't according to weight transfer achieved. If it can't, then it isn't.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Statements that an ANDERSON is a great hitch are meaningless without proof of it meeting the definition of a WD hitch except when loads transferred do not exceed the laughably small 200# offered thus far as proof.
Without punctuation I am not sure what you are saying here.

As with any system mechanical system that have the same generic identity there may be an extreme range of expectations. This is quite clear if one looks at tires. A 2 ply tire will not be expected to carry the loads of a 6 ply tire of the same size, but they are both still tires. A WD hitch should then be viewed with the same ranger of tolerance. WD hitches using 600 lb. bars are not expected to transfer the weight of a hitch using 1,200 lb. bars. As long as the hitch transfers the weight necessary to keep the rear axle within it's max. limit and return the front axle to the original steering geometry it has met the requirements for that combination.

If this is the case with a given TV and trailer why are we questioning the need for additional transfer capacity that is not needed.

The Andersen delivers a combination of desirable handling characteristics for a majority of the current TV/Trailer combinations available today. Yes there are some that may be looking for a different set of characteristics but that is not justification to discount the Andersen entirely.

If you are a reader and have questions addressed by this objections approach users of the different hitch types and ask a first hand user.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #138

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
In my case, total WD is important. I scaled my dodge 3/4 T diesel/ 34' 1991 and Hensley and can comment on unloading the front axle.

The first photo is the ticket for just the truck, 3,920 lbs on the front axle. The second is the truck and trailer with NO WD cranked in. I loose 500 lbs of front axle weight.

The third is the exact configuration that I towed to the scales and noted that the truck wandered all over the road. 5" of jack exposed. For non-Hensley folks, just assume that is 5 chain links. I restored 200 lbs to the front axle but it still drove goofy.

The last photo is the ticket when I cranked in another 2" of WD (think 3 links exposed). That moved another 100 lbs to the front axle (300 lbs total moved) but still about 200 lbs lighter than just the truck. Things are nice and stable now and I have put close to 40,000 miles on the combo since.

In my case, I needed to restore 300 lbs of axle weight to make it drive normal. I have considered a different hitch if it was lighter, cheaper and would distribute the weight but I haven't seen anything new that does all of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4103552876.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	205812   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3766599043.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	205813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2513464904.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	205814   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3260317311.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	205815  

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
In my case, total WD is important. I scaled my dodge 3/4 T diesel/ 34' 1991 and Hensley and can comment on unloading the front axle.

The first photo is the ticket for just the truck, 3,920 lbs on the front axle. The second is the truck and trailer with NO WD cranked in. I loose 500 lbs of front axle weight.

The third is the exact configuration that I towed to the scales and noted that the truck wandered all over the road. 5" of jack exposed. For non-Hensley folks, just assume that is 5 chain links. I restored 200 lbs to the front axle but it still drove goofy.

The last photo is the ticket when I cranked in another 2" of WD (think 3 links exposed). That moved another 100 lbs to the front axle (300 lbs total moved) but still about 200 lbs lighter than just the truck. Things are nice and stable now and I have put close to 40,000 miles on the combo since.

In my case, I needed to restore 300 lbs of axle weight to make it drive normal. I have considered a different hitch if it was lighter, cheaper and would distribute the weight but I haven't seen anything new that does all of that.
Good post, and points out the value of taking scale readings. And also the fact that at least sometimes, even the so-called "HD" pickup truck platforms can benefit from the use of a WD hitch.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
HiHo - I'm in a similar situation. 500# gets lifted off the steer axle and over MANY scale trips with 0 WD, 1" on the jacks (ProPride), 2" etc - it takes 6" to return 260 to the steer axle which exceeds the TV manufacturer's 50% FALR requirement for my setup and is the best drive for me.

While I'm mentally stuck on virtual pivot projection as a means of preventing sway vs any other method of reacting to sway, the Andersen does appear capable of returning 200 or so #s to the steer axle so frankly, if inclined, I think it could be a viable WD hitch for my setup (esp. as it weighs about 150# less than my current hitch which I assume is proportionally included in the 500# lifted off the steer axle to begin with).

I think that bears out the theory many users of the Andersen have posted which is that the Andersen may be well suited for lighter TTs on heavier TVs.

Again - I use a different hitch and haven't tested personally - and - my #1 goal is sway elimination but if I were ok w/sway reaction techniques, I don't see why the Andersen wouldn't work with my rig for the WD my TV calls for.