Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Andersen hitch users reports

Someone asked for this thread, let's see where it goes. I got the Andersen because the 26 year old reese strightline was very worn and also replaced the shark fin Atwood with a Quick-Bite coupler. Both were done before I read about them on this forum. Also installed a quick connect pigtail on our 25' Sovereign along with some 2500# helper springs on the 2001 F150 S-crew, they were getting tired. We just got back from a 300 mile weekend trip. This has been the best that the truck & trailer combo has rode and handled since we got the trailer in 2010. The porpousing is all but gone, large trucks on both two and four lane roads passing us in either direction caused no sway what so ever. I am very happy with the Andersen - Quick-Bite combination and am looking forward to many more enjoyable trips. I will report again after the next trip in three weeks.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This has been covered

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
Someone asked for this thread, let's see where it goes. I got the Andersen because the 26 year old reese strightline was very worn and also replaced the shark fin Atwood with a Quick-Bite coupler. Both were done before I read about them on this forum. Also installed a quick connect pigtail on our 25' Sovereign along with some 2500# helper springs on the 2001 F150 S-crew, they were getting tired. We just got back from a 300 mile weekend trip. This has been the best that the truck & trailer combo has rode and handled since we got the trailer in 2010. The porpousing is all but gone, large trucks on both two and four lane roads passing us in either direction caused no sway what so ever. I am very happy with the Andersen - Quick-Bite combination and am looking forward to many more enjoyable trips. I will report again after the next trip in three weeks.
That is good to hear. I am very happy with the Andersen as well. Doug is correct about the very long thread going on and you probably should post there. Sometimes he is a little cranky and usually gives a daily post about how much he loves his Pro Pride and he could not get good results with his Andersen. I wouldn't pay him much attention.
Just keep on trailering and enjoy your camping.
Joe
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Doug is a little cranky because he was also enthusiastic about the Andersen hitch, used it 4,000 miles, then learned that Andersen has decided it was not compatible with his Airstream coupler. The method of weight transfer pushes up against the coupler, rather than down like spring bar hitches, tending to uncouple the trailer. On his Airstream coupler the Andersen also wears the latching mechanism, which is the only device keeping the trailer from being uncoupled.

In light of this information, Andersen has not come up with a safety device to keep the trailer from uncoupling should any latch fail for any reason.

There is also mounting evidence the hitch cannot transfer enough weight necessary in many applications to do it's basic function, weight distribution.

And Doug doubts there is enough flexibility in the compressed urethane bushings to protect the trailer frame and possibly the truck receiver from excessive stresses that may lead to damage. This was evident when he removed the Andersen and found elongated mounting holes that he had to drill in the frame to keep the brackets from slipping.

These things made Doug cranky because he no longer trusted the Andersen, and believes it is possibly a dangerously under-engineered device.

Doug

He also found the Andersen has excellent sway resistance, but suggestions that it is any way near is as good as a Propride/Hensley in overall towing ease and performance is simply wrong. He has used both.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
C'mon y'all...play nice...

eace
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Is there a hitch out there that will stop an uncoupling event in any and all cases ?????
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes there is one out there. Unless you lose the Ball

Even though I have a Marvel coupler. With the Andersen it is easy to use a "Safety Chain" over the tongue. In the unlikely even that the coupler lifts up. The chain will prevent it from coming off of the ball. Since the triangular plate follows the trailer tongue, there is no movement of the chain relative to the trailer tongue during towing.
It's "Belt and Suspenders" but I figure it reduces any risk of the trailer coming uncoupled. Cost was less than $10, installation was less than 10 minutes, including drilling the holes for the eye bolts.
With the Andersen WD chains slack, it is not necessary to remove the "Safety Chain" when uncoupling. Just pull the pin and drop the triangle plate down.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...pler/photo.jpg

In recent postings on the other thread. It has been pointed out that 2 of the big three truck makers have reassessed and determined that it is not necessary to return all of the front axle weight of their trucks when towing. Now they say 50% is their recommendation. FWTW
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
I am towing a 69 27'Overlander with a f250 super duty. I have old trunnion bars for it, but need a replacement distribution hitch and shank $180 or so. Debating on buying pro series unit w/ sway $280 or so, maybe Andersen but nervous $500. Cannot spend $1000 and up on pro pride sorry. Suggestions would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	499.8 KB
ID:	186249  
Noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm sure you'll get mixed opinions. I tow a 30'er AS with a Dodge 3500. I used 2different trunion bar hitches and was satisfied with their performance. The more recent hitch was the socket type bars and the bars fit up into the socket. I had troubles with them falling out and dragging on the road by the chains. The overall hitch performance was good. I went to the Anderson and am happy with it. You will read about some coupler incompatibilities. I have the troublesome coupler and will probably go ahead and change it in the near future but I still am satisfied with the hitch. One concern to look into is the length of the draw bar on the Anderson. It MAY be a little short and not allow you to open the tailgate with the trailer attached. I found this and needed to order a slightly longer draw bar ( I think it is 1.5" longer) and it works well. So to avoid the added expense try and look into this in advance so you can make that change at the time of your order. Personally I don't know if this interferrence is there with the Fords. My older hitch was of the type you show in the photo. I never had any problem with that style and it towed nicely too.

Choose wisely, I'm sure you'll be happy with the AH if that's the way you go. Most of all enjoy your travels. See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Cimarron , Colorado
Just swapped out the troublesome Attwood coupler for a Bulldog wedge type coupler. A little pricey but a perfect fit and it's about 5" longer, which gives plenty of room for dropping the tailgate and is rated for 12,500#. Had to lengthen the chains but that was easy.

Cheers,
Bruce
zeke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noco View Post
I am towing a 69 27'Overlander with a f250 super duty. I have old trunnion bars for it, but need a replacement distribution hitch and shank $180 or so. Debating on buying pro series unit w/ sway $280 or so, maybe Andersen but nervous $500. Cannot spend $1000 and up on pro pride sorry. Suggestions would be appreciated

Because this is an Andersen WD users thread, I would recommend that you buy an Andersen WD system. Set it up properly per the makers instructions and enjoy safe, secure, no-sway towing.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
Is there a hitch out there that will stop an uncoupling event in any and all cases ?????
A spring bar type weight distribution hitch tightly clamps the coupler down onto the ball. If the coupler became unlatched it is very unlikely the trailer would uncouple.

The Andersen horizontal weight distribution system pushes the coupler up and away from the ball. If the coupler became unlatched it is likely the trailer would uncouple immediately.

doug k
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, please sight one actual and documented case of ball/coupler separation while on the road of a trailer using the Andersen WD system.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Doug, please sight one actual and documented case of ball/coupler separation while on the road of a trailer using the Andersen WD system.
Michael, we're both retired Navy Chiefs. You remember Murphy's Law, don't you?

doug k
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
So you don't have a case to sight. Anything man made is prone to failure. It does not matter what the product is or who manufacturers it. Good luck with your new system. I hope you can prove me wrong and it never fails when you need it the most.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
[QUOTE="dkottum;1301860

The Andersen horizontal weight distribution system pushes the coupler up and away from the ball.

doug k[/QUOTE]

I don't agree. The system does push hard against the rear, but not up. If anything it pulls slightly down too. Look at the geometry. On a level surface to lift the trailer of the ball would require further compressioning of the bushings.

On a hard bump could the trailer disengage if the coupler latch is broken? Sure, but that's true of any hitch.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
In recent postings on the other thread. It has been pointed out that 2 of the big three truck makers have reassessed and determined that it is not necessary to return all of the front axle weight of their trucks when towing. Now they say 50% is their recommendation. FWTW

1] This sort of assertion needs links to verify. Not all models of any one brand may be subject.

2] And, then, specific instances of this brand hitch was able to accomplish that goal. No one disagrees that the ANDERSEN is weight-challenged.

Some models of some brands of TV's with some models/years of Airstream TTs with some loadings may be able to use this brand hitch according to formula. Not all, and certainly not just any.

The range of TVs thus "acceptable" may not have changed all that much in re this brand of hitch.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

1] This sort of assertion needs links to verify. Not all models of any one brand may be subject.

2] And, then, specific instances of this brand hitch was able to accomplish that goal. No one disagrees that the ANDERSEN is weight-challenged.

Some models of some brands of TV's with some models/years of Airstream TTs with some loadings may be able to use this brand hitch according to formula. Not all, and certainly not just any.

The range of TVs thus "acceptable" may not have changed all that much in re this brand of hitch.

As slowmover says...this assertion is misleading. I hope the pic copies and pastes correctly, but GM makes NO reference to weight...only the fender to ground distance. Then only asserts the "hitch requirements". This is from a 2013 1500 owner manual.

"A. Body to Ground Distance
B. Front of Vehicle

When using a weight-distributing hitch, measure distance (A) before coupling the trailer to the hitch ball. If the hitch requires 50% distribution, measure the height again after the trailer is coupled and adjust the spring bars so the distance (A) is as close as possible to halfway between the two measurements. When 100% distribution is required the spring bars should be adjusted so the distance (A) is the same as the initial measurement after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle and adjusting the hitch."

Edit: the graphics didn't make it...A is the distance from fender to ground at the vertical centerline of the hub.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
When I had my equilizer hitch, one method of attaching the bars was to attach the trailer to the ball and than lower the trailer jack (lift the rear of the TV) to reduce the force required to install the bars. I basically use this method of hook up with the Andersen hitch. I have the wing attached to the ball, and than attach the trailer. I than use the trailer jack to lift the rear of the TV and install the chains and plastic shock. I use the 7thread count and than raise the jack which puts tension on the chains and levels the trailer and TV. I have yet to have separation of the trailer from the hitch even when I have stood on the truck bumper. In all cases I have locked the trailer hitch.
So, Mike and Doug, where is this disconnect happening?? Could it have been that the trailer was NOT seated on the ball in the first place????
Mike
WBCCI/Air forum 27937
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Mike, I have explained it as I see it and the best I can. And no longer use the Andersen because of this and other concerns.

doug k