Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rendrag, considering your truck and medium weight trailer, I suspect your experience with the Andersen would be very similar if you towed without any weight distribution hitch.

I don't know about 3/4 ton trucks but my 1/2 ton with Andersen was surely pushed by passing semi's, quite severely if there was a stout crosswind from their direction. It didn't sway but it was not especially comfortable at times either.

As for weight distribution, you may have stiff enough suspension you hardly notice the Andersen is challenged to manage it.

The reduced spring bar bounce was, to me, the greatest asset of the Andersen hitch. But with no weight distribution hitch you wouldn't have much either. And it does not eliminate porpoising; it just does not have the spring bar reaction. The cost of this in my experience is almost no flexibility in the connection, leaving it up to your hitch receiver and trailer A-frame to take the vertical movements from the roadway.

My sense is this hitch is a couple of brilliant ideas poorly developed, and unsafe in some applications such as recent Airstream couplers. Perhaps others, the company has left too much experimentation and innovation up to us as users. It is a poor substitute for a genuine weight distribution hitch.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Great combination for towing.
As hard as a few will try they can't disprove the results the majority are having with the Andersen. Yes there is a problem with the Atwood coupler. Revolutionary changes often present questions and compatibility issue for those hung up on older technology. There are some in the world still using the "Abacus". Yes there are compatibility issues with it and Excel. And yes they may get the right answer with that older technology but long after the rest of us have moved on.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Rendrag, considering your truck and medium weight trailer, I suspect your experience with the Andersen would be very similar if you towed without any weight distribution hitch.

....snip...
doug k
You got it! People that depend on any hitch to supplement a soft suspension, or rely on them to push every last pound to the front or trailer axles might be disappointed by the Andersen. The answer is having an adequate tow vehicle. Recently the two largest manufacturers of pickup trucks have greatly lowered their requirements for front axle weight restoration, making the Andersen suitable for a lot of tow vehicles, but not nearly all. When I see people concerned about the weight of an average passenger being located fore or aft in their tow vehicle, I have to wonder if they really have the right tow vehicle.

The Andersen hitch is the real deal when it comes to sway mitigation, not the ultimate when it comes to shifting weight forward. It sure is easy to use and does a great job for me. The quietness has to be experienced to be appreciated.
Rendrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Doug K. reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live character Debbie Downer. No matter what anyone said, she always had a downer comment.

Give it up Doug.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
doug k. Reminds me of the old saturday night live character debbie downer. No matter what anyone said, she always had a downer comment.

Give it up doug.
ouch!
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Doug K. reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live character Debbie Downer. No matter what anyone said, she always had a downer comment.

Give it up Doug.
Don't think that's totally correct because Doug has recently been very upbeat when posting on this forum about his experiences with the ProPride hitch.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #87
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

??...just how do the manufacturers determine how much weight needs to be transferred. By %, spring compression or what?
I have seen no reference in any manual for any of our TV's. The only reference to WD hitches I could find...
"Wight Ditributing hitch this is most often used for heavier trailering. this hitch type more evenly distributes the trailer load by using spring bars to shift some of the hitch weight forward onto the tow vehicle’s front axle, and rearward to the trailer’s axles."

Is 100 off, 200 off , just what is the number that statement is based on.
I was always under the impression that the closest you could get to the unladen weight with a level rig was the goal. Ours number is 100lbs.

Bob
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
I think we know who would be the first and most prolific poster if they ever start a dissatisfied user's group.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
??...just how do the manufacturers determine how much weight needs to be transferred. By %, spring compression or what?
I have seen no reference in any manual for any of our TV's. ...snip......
Bob
I am only familiar with GM products but it has been reported that Ford has reduced their front axle weight restoration to 50%. I won't quote the entire owner's manuals, but GM has reduced their FALR requirements to 0% on 1500's up to 7,000 pound trailers and 0% on 2500's up to 9,000 pounds. Apparently they took a fresh look at such things in 2010.

It is all in the current owner's manuals for the GM pickups. I do NOT know if it applies to SUVs, Vans, or Volkswagens.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
There are TOO many variables, tongue weight, length of trailer, length of TV, weight of trailer, and many more, for a manufacture to give a single percentage.

What you are attempting to accomplish is to return the front axle close enough to unloaded height as to not change the steering geometry or reduce the front axle friction factor to the road on turns.

Historicaly when we all towed with softly sprung cars there was a consideration to get weight off the rear axle to keep it from bottoming out as you drove. The majority of the current tow vehicles, now being some form of truck, no longer have this requirement so the steering geometry becomes the main consideration.

Those that are still hung up on a 30 or 40 year old concept many have problems accepting the Andersen hitch. They may tighten the bushing to an extent that they look like they are about to fail in a futile attempt to return to yesteryear's standards.

Set the hitch up and pay attention to the height of the front axle. If you can bring your rig it into compliance you have advanced to a significantly improved driving experience. Yes there will be some situations that can't but that in itself is not a function of the hitch along but rather some combination of the variables that make up the equation.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #91
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
I am only familiar with GM products but it has been reported that Ford has reduced their front axle weight restoration to 50%. I won't quote the entire owner's manuals, but GM has reduced their FALR requirements to 0% on 1500's up to 7,000 pound trailers and 0% on 2500's up to 9,000 pounds. Apparently they took a fresh look at such things in 2010.

It is all in the current owner's manuals for the GM pickups. I do NOT know if it applies to SUVs, Vans, or Volkswagens.

Please do quote, as I could find nothing on line in the 2013 1500 OM.

Ok...but they have no idea how my trailer would tow at 0%, that is just to far out of the box for me.
I do know that the FE weight is 2980lbs with no WD and 3640lbs with.
How do you think it would handle towing a 25' Classic 660lbs light?
I do know it's no fun at 400lbs and down right squirlly at best.

Let us know how your 1500 tows a 25' AS with 0 or 50% returned to the front axle.

Bob
Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Life is a vicious circle and this thread proves it. Around and around it goes. No more entertainment points for originality. Keep smiling and safe Airstreaming.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Please do quote, as I could find nothing on line in the 2013 1500 OM.
(Snip)

Bob
Hi Bob - in a thread here called "Interesting I went to Camping World" I had posted 2 snapshots of my 2013 Chevy Silverado manual. I drew the conclusion from them that WD was OPTIONAL for my specific setup (which I still maintain is a logical conclusion. From these pages), however, several folks in that thread provided excellent insight in to why that conclusion is faulty. It's a great thread, I recommend it but don't know how to link to it the way others do, sorry!

FALR requirements/suggestions differ in the manual based on different criteria. Even with the ProPride (which I know from the scales and adjustments I can dial in at 0, 50, 100% FALR and anywhere inbetween), 50-60% seems to be a comfortable sweet spot in terms of level, ride, and minimum porpoising.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3224925272.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	187579

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2092219673.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	187580
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Please do quote, as I could find nothing on line in the 2013 1500 OM. .......snip..........
Bob
I am not saying that I totally agree with GM on this subject and everyone needs to evaluate their own wants and needs. However, I think they do know more about pickups than the average user. If you cannot find one, this is a direct quote from the 2012 and 2013 Silverado Owner's Manual:

Vehicle Series Trailer weight WD hitch Usage Hitch Distribution

1500 Up to 7,000 pounds Optional

1500 7,001 to 9,900 pounds Required 50%
Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #95
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hi Bob - in a thread here called "Interesting I went to Camping World" I had posted 2 snapshots of my 2013 Chevy Silverado manual. I drew the conclusion from them that WD was OPTIONAL for my specific setup (which I still maintain is a logical conclusion. From these pages), however, several folks in that thread provided excellent insight in to why that conclusion is faulty. It's a great thread, I recommend it but don't know how to link to it the way others do, sorry!

FALR requirements/suggestions differ in the manual based on different criteria. Even with the ProPride (which I know from the scales and adjustments I can dial in at 0, 50, 100% FALR and anywhere inbetween), 50-60% seems to be a comfortable sweet spot in terms of level, ride, and minimum porpoising.

Attachment 187579

Attachment 187580
Thank's Steve, PM sent on linking.
===============================================

Quote:
I am not saying that I totally agree with GM on this subject and everyone needs to evaluate their own wants and needs. However, I think they do know more about pickups than the average user. If you cannot find one, this is a direct quote from the 2012 and 2013 Silverado Owner's Manual:

Vehicle Series Trailer weight WD hitch Usage Hitch Distribution

1500 Up to 7,000 pounds Optional

1500 7,001 to 9,900 pounds Required 50%
I completely agree every rig will need to be set up according to individual parameters.

I just don't believe in blanket statements covering different models stating you need 0% up to 7000lbs and 50% with a trailer weight differential of 3000lbs. Something other than physics is at work here.

FWIW....25+years at GM stores before retiring.

Bob
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I talked with an RV dealer a while back, and he told me he never uses anything but a ball to tow any travel trailer with his 3/4 ton Dodge pickup.

However, A. that does not make it the right thing to do, and B. does not mean that I want to do it, and C. just because it CAN be done, does not make me want to do it just so I can do it with an Andersen hitch.

There are way too many other weight distribution hitches out there that do what they are supposed to do, and I've been towing trailer with weight distribution for way to long to just overlook the advantages of weight distribution at this time.

Basically, I learned a long time ago it is the right thing to do, and no physics have not changed.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
All I know is that using the Andersen No Sway hitch with my 2500HD is the best, easiest, cleanest, quietest, most solid, least swaying, towing experience that I have ever had. I worked in the construction industry for forty years and towed everything from work trailers to asphalt rollers with a wide variety of tow vehicles. I have towed travel trailers and a fifth wheel trailer full time for the last ten years. I have used three other weight distributing hitches and this is the only one that I actually enjoy using. The quiet alone would make me purchase another. I would not recommend it for use with a marginal or slightly overloaded tow vehicle.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Can anyone compare thebAndersen to a Hensley or Equal-I-Zer or EaZLift or any other commonly used setup?
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #99
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What is in question is proper weight distribution. Unfortunately the central requirement as the anti-sway is comparable or slightly better than with a friction bar type, but cannot exert the same resistance to sway as a Dual Cam or the slightly less desirable Equalizer. (Maybe on the very lightest combinations, it could).

It matters not if it is quiet, light or exhibits decent anti-sway if it cannot meet the TV manufacturer requiremet for WD.

A VPP hitch [virtual projection pivot] such as the Hensley or Pro Pride is in another category altogether. The distance between this type and all others is a gulf too large to bridge. There is no comparison.

rendrag, if truly a fulltimer, you are missing out on how good hitch can be (when, as with other types, both vehicles are properly set up in order to make valid comparisons. This is no caveat, by the way).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
??...just how do the manufacturers determine how much weight needs to be transferred. By %, spring compression or what?---

Is 100 off, 200 off , just what is the number that statement is based on.
I was always under the impression that the closest you could get to the unladen weight with a level rig was the goal. Ours number is 100lbs.
The 2004 Tahoe/Suburban Owners Manual states:
"When using a weight-distributing hitch, the hitch must be adjusted so the distance (A) remains the same both before and after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle."
This manual pertains both to 1500-series and 2500-series vehicles.

The 2013 Tahoe/Suburban Owners Manual states:
"When using a weight-distributing hitch, the spring bars should be
adjusted so the distance (A) is the same after coupling the trailer to the
tow vehicle and adjusting the hitch."
This manual also pertains both to the 1500-series and 2500-series.

I'm guessing the Manuals for all model years between 2004 and 2013 also contain one of these nearly identical versions of the WDH adjustment specification.
Note the specification says "the same" -- not "approximately the same".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
There are TOO many variables, tongue weight, length of trailer, length of TV, weight of trailer, and many more, for a manufacture to give a single percentage.
I believe a reasonable person would conclude that Chevrolet wants Tahoe/Suburban owners to eliminate 100% of the front-end rise -- or as close to that figure as practical.

I also believe a reasonable person would conclude that means Chevrolet wants owners to restore 100% of the front-end load which was removed --- or as close to 100% as practical.

I guess we have to leave it to the individual owners to determine what is "practical" when it comes to fine tuning their WDH.

Ron

Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote