Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You tend to love what you got, that goes for dogs, wives and trailer hitches, not necessarily in that order.

My HaHa is better than whatever your using....take that Pilgrim.

Bob
Old 05-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noco View Post
I am towing a 69 27'Overlander with a f250 super duty. I have old trunnion bars for it, but need a replacement distribution hitch and shank $180 or so. Debating on buying pro series unit w/ sway $280 or so, maybe Andersen but nervous $500. Cannot spend $1000 and up on pro pride sorry. Suggestions would be appreciated
Noco

Your current WD system is just that a WD system it has No Sway Control function, as noted by the lack of cams on the ends of the bars. So if you are looking at the Andersen you are gaining not only an improved hitching system but Sway Control. Reprice and rethink your situation get the Andersen and I think you will be very happy.

As for the questions about the Atwood coupling your trailer is old enough to not be so equipped and thus not an issue.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Noco

Your current WD system is just that a WD system it has No Sway Control function, as noted by the lack of cams on the ends of the bars, so if you are looking at the Andersen you are gaining not only an improved hitching system but Sway Control. Reprice and rethink your situation get the Andersen and I think you will be very happy.
Yea, but don't forget adding in the price for buying and having installed a new coupler for your trailer.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure if all those posting are reading the previous posts when commenting on a given trailer. The1967 Airstream was not produced with the Atwood coupler that has been noted with an issue.

There seams to be a say no to Andersen at any and every chance coming from a few.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
If the coupler has a pawl that is pushed down with a spring to capture the ball, it needs to be replaced because it will eventually fail under the load of the Andersen, IMHO.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." George Orwell

Maybe I should stop speaking lest I become a hated person.

My thoughts on the subject are noted on this tread and should answer any questions for an objective individual.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html

Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
"
My thoughts on the subject are noted on this tread and should answer any questions for an objective individual.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html
Yes, I'm very aware of that thread also as I am also an Andersen hitch owner, and user.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Why is this a debate?

Pro pride - $2,400
Hensley - $3,200 +/-
Reese Dual Cam - $600 +/-
Equalizer - $500 +/-
Anderson - $400 + $200 (replace coupler) = $600
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Pro Series Weight Distribution System w/ Friction Sway Control - Round - 10,000 lbs GTW, 750 lbs TW Pro Series Weight Distribution PS49902

Does this system not have what I need, for 250 bucks?
Noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
And yes I've read the 100+ page discussion, you guys get rediculous. Safety is my main concern, ease of use and performance must also be considered. That being said I refuse to invest more in my hitch setup than the cost of my entire Airstream!
Noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Why is this a debate?

Pro pride - $2,400
Hensley - $3,200 +/-
Reese Dual Cam - $600 +/-
Equalizer - $500 +/-
Anderson - $400 + $200 (replace coupler) = $600
Because we still have free choice.....I think.

Quote:
And yes I've read the 100+ page discussion, you guys get rediculous. Safety is my main concern, ease of use and performance must also be considered. That being said I refuse to invest more in my hitch setup than the cost of my entire Airstream!
If safety is in fact your main concern then, never mind.....I love being ridiculous.

Bob
Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
If safety truly were your MAIN concern, you would buy the ProPride, but seems to me that cost is really your main concern.

And in that case, any weight distribution system will work. Yes, the Pro Series from E-trailer will work. Let us know how well it stops sway for you after you've used it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
I will comment on my use and observations of the Andersen Hitch.

From the first day of installation, both the pin and the triangular plate would not remove from the ball assembly without tools and leverage. In fact, the plate would not come off without putting it into a vice and working it loose.

I called Andersen several times regarding this issue and they first started with the pin. They sent a new pin sighting that it was probably the powder coat finish that was hanging it up. New pin arrived and still would not go in or out of the hole without a mallet. Called them back and they sent out a new triangular plate. I got the feeling while talking to them on the phone they have had this issue before as he didn't hesitate in making it right.

Received the new plate and it slides on and off the ball assembly as it is suppose to. So they have corrected that issue.

In terms of use and performance, my coupler will only withstand tightening the bushings until about four threads are present. I have the original Marvel coupler on a 67' Globetrotter. Once I go further with tension, the coupler "fin" raises to a level that I'm not comfortable with.

Now I am not a mechanic or an engineer of any type. Just an average user. I have not weighed my tongue weight or gone to the scales to see the change in attitude. I feel to be totally comfortable with this hitch, I will need to change the coupler. This isn't a bad thing and should probably be done anyway given its age.
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
While it is sold as a Sway Control System the friction bar is questionable as to it's effectiveness and a real nuisance to use.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
When I started this thread I hoped that it would be for Andersen users to report their findings. I must be a bumble bee, I did not know that the Andersen hitch, Quick-bite coupler, and the EZ connector pig tail were not suppose to work. After this last weekend all three worked very well in combination.

Now I am sorry that I started this thread because it seems that the unhappy former Andersen are here trying to tell everybody that the Andersen hitch is a piece of junk and should not be used, if that is your true opinion than you are entitled to it.

What I did not say in my opening comments was that on the first day of our outing the fuel pump quit on our 2001 F-150 with only 78,000 miles. Does this mean that Fords are no good? Heavens NO! A fellow Airstreamer had a Chevy Suburban plow a hole out the side of the engine block. Another friend lost an engine in a 6 year old Dodge. All three happened to highly tested trucks from three American truck makers.

For all you people who do not like the Andersen, here is why I bought the Andersen. The problem with the Hensley, Pro Pride, Reese and the other spring bar hitches is mine and my wife's backs. All the a for mentioned hitches simple weight to much. They all do a good job, but, in my opinion, so does the Andersen hitch and it weights less than my old Reese hitch head and stinger.

The Airstream experience is all about adventure and friendship. Can we keep it that way and forget about whose rig is better and whose dog is bigger. Lets be happy to see each other out there as we travel through our great countries.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good choice, because it can do a basic function the Andersen has not been shown to do, distribute weight needed for safe handling of the tow vehicle.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, once again I ask you to offer documentation to support your statement. Many users here and on other forums have proved that the Andersen system does properly distribute weight needed for safe handling of the tow vehicle. It seems to me that all your concerns are based on wouda, shouda, coulda and no facts.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
When I started this thread I hoped that it would be for Andersen users to report their findings. I must be a bumble bee, I did not know that the Andersen hitch, Quick-bite coupler, and the EZ connector pig tail were not suppose to work. After this last weekend all three worked very well in combination.

Now I am sorry that I started this thread because it seems that the unhappy former Andersen are here trying to tell everybody that the Andersen hitch is a piece of junk and should not be used, if that is your true opinion than you are entitled to it.

What I did not say in my opening comments was that on the first day of our outing the fuel pump quit on our 2001 F-150 with only 78,000 miles. Does this mean that Fords are no good? Heavens NO! A fellow Airstreamer had a Chevy Suburban plow a hole out the side of the engine block. Another friend lost an engine in a 6 year old Dodge. All three happened to highly tested trucks from three American truck makers.

For all you people who do not like the Andersen, here is why I bought the Andersen. The problem with the Hensley, Pro Pride, Reese and the other spring bar hitches is mine and my wife's backs. All the a for mentioned hitches simple weight to much. They all do a good job, but, in my opinion, so does the Andersen hitch and it weights less than my old Reese hitch head and stinger.

The Airstream experience is all about adventure and friendship. Can we keep it that way and forget about whose rig is better and whose dog is bigger. Lets be happy to see each other out there as we travel through our great countries.
It seems to me that Doug K has done what the thread title has asked; reported his use of the Andersen system. The fact that it is not a favorable report appears to irritate some people, which is a bit disappointing because he's only saying it as he's found it to be; what's to be upset about?

Not everyone is convinced of the effectiveness of the Andersen so let's embrace the positive and the negative views.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Michael, somewhere in the thousand-some posts in the first user's thread (this one is a useless repeat) it was shown mathematically there is not enough leverage in the system to effect sufficient weight distribution with anything but lightweight trailers.

As I recall, your own scale tickets show insufficient weight transfer.

This has been answered with claims that it transfers enough because it handles good. I made that claim as well as others. It has progressed to some truck manufacturers have drastically lowered weight distribution requirements. That is a dubious claim, and the documentation of it indicates a misreading of the manufacturer's recommendation, as I recall.

Many of us questioning the Andersen system have been shouted down for our efforts by a few people on the thread, and now this one. Your persistance has worn me down for sure, but has not altered my contention the hitch, although innovative and a good anti-sway device, has design flaws in its present form.

I have used it and was not satisfied with the safety of its coupler forces, questionable weight distribution, and inflexibility. For those that are, that's fine. But I cannot recommend it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Not everyone is convinced of the effectiveness of the Andersen so let's embrace the positive and the negative views.
A true statement but somewhat misleading. Yes there have been comments from 2 or 3 individuals regarding the weight distributing capacity of the Andersen. The problem is there are far more statements from user that have found this this not to be the case. Doug has asked for scale tickets to support our finding and several of us have posted them for all range of trailer sizes. That and the fact that the current thinking from automobile manufactures long longer support the weight distributing requirements of the 60s when we were all towing with lightly sprung cars.

He is free to continue to post his thoughts and I assume those of us that are satisfied are free to continue to post positive results and comment on current engineering. Almost all new technology is met with negative comment from those unable to grasp the science or unwilling to shed their long held positions. There are those that have not yet accepted the internet, cell phones, or our nations energy independence based on natural gas. Luckily we have been able to over look the naysayers on the first 2 and hopefully we will get past them on the third soon.