Old 06-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #113
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Tahoes and suburbans are dif vehicles and they may require dif hitch weight and wd settings. Do not compare the two without checking the towing setups needed for each. Jim
Good point and both are totally different from the GM pickups where GM has reduced the Front Axle Restoration requirement to 0% or 50% in most applications.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
When the manufacturer says "the same", I believe that means 100%.

Ron
Ron

That was a very week response to my question.

My question was "the mathematical difference between, "Approximately", my term and, "as close to 100% as possible", your quote from the manual.

You took exception to my choice of word in describing the set up of a hitch. I would again ask for the explanation of the difference between these two.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Can anyone compare thebAndersen to a Hensley or Equal-I-Zer or EaZLift or any other commonly used setup?
Yes. I have used Equal-I-Zer, Andersen, and Propride on this Airstream and have posted remarks about them in earlier posts in this thread. In very short summary . . .

The Equal-I-Zer is very good at weight distribution, but the stiff bars may be rough on your Airstream A-frame and shell.

The Andersen ought to be classified as experimental, limited weight distribution capability, virtually a non-flexible connection, and by design has potential to disconnect from the hitch ball.

On ProPride I'll quote Slowmover's earlier statement. "A VPP hitch [virtual projection pivot] such as the Hensley or Pro Pride is in another category altogether. The distance between this type and all others is a gulf too large to bridge. There is no comparison."

doug k
Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
....snip...........
On ProPride I'll quote Slowmover's earlier statement. "A VPP hitch [virtual projection pivot] such as the Hensley or Pro Pride is in another category altogether. The distance between this type and all others is a gulf too large to bridge. There is no comparison."

doug k
The truth is that a travel trailer should not sway nor need a hitch that costs several times as much to cure an affliction that should not be there in the first place. As often noted, the Andersen is not the best choice for serious weight distribution when needed.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rendrag, there's more to it than that. You would never want to return to any friction sway control hitch if you used a ProPride/Hensley.

With a friction sway control hitch, side winds, gusts, passing trucks, uneven roads all cause the trailer to move off center in relation to the tow vehicle, and then return to center when/if the force is reduced. The trailer behind a VPP hitch cannot induce any angle between tv and trailer. Only the steering of the tow vehicle can allow (unlock?) the trailer to turn, relative to the tow vehicle.

You may not feel any sway with a friction hitch, but there will be a constantly varying angle. Not so with the VPP hitch. The ease of driving this hitch is quite unbelievable, compared to the others. The best money you will ever spend for ease of towing your trailer.

doug k
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
The Andersen ought to be classified as experimental, limited weight distribution capability, virtually a non-flexible connection, and by design has potential to disconnect from the hitch ball.
doug k
Doug

In the past I had PM you that I would no longer comment on your misrepresentations. But this editorial accomplishments warrants acknowledgement.

Acknowledgement only of it's complete misrepresentation.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #119
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
The truth is that a travel trailer should not sway nor need a hitch that costs several times as much to cure an affliction that should not be there in the first place. As often noted, the Andersen is not the best choice for serious weight distribution when needed.
I don't ever recall seeing an advertisement for a Travel Trailer with a "no sway" guarantee....AS comes close but even we need help.

As far as cost is concerned...a pittance compared to the AS, and not a factor when it comes to the safety of my family/passengers and fellow travelers.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:

doug k
Doug,

Being a user of both these hitches, I will agree with your and "Slowmover's" evaluations, with one personal clarification about the Andersen.

I would add to your statement, "by design has potential to disconnect from the hitch ball"....when used with any coupler that attaches to the ball by spring action lowering of the pawl, such as used with Airstream trailers.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
...snip........
You may not feel any sway with a friction hitch, but there will be a constantly varying angle. Not so with the VPP hitch. The ease of driving this hitch is quite unbelievable, compared to the others. The best money you will ever spend for ease of towing your trailer.

doug k
I feel none of the sway issues you mention. I have a capable tow vehicle (2500HD) towing a moderately sized well engineered travel trailer (28' and 7,000 #). I use the Andersen hitch as a belt and suspenders thing, not as a Band-Aid to cover up any inherent tendency to sway. I can drive with one hand in all but the most extreme situations. I refuse to drive with no hands.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Good point and both are totally different from the GM pickups where GM has reduced the Front Axle Restoration requirement to 0% or 50% in most applications.
I agree. And that's why I posted the Tahoe/Suburban information in response to Bob's post about load distribution specifications.

Although the Silverado 2500, when using a WDH, now has a dual-percentage specification for reduction of front-end rise, the Suburban 2500 does not.

For a 2006 Suburban 2500, which is believe is what Bob has, Chevrolet states:
"When using a weight-distributing hitch, the hitch must
be adjusted so the distance (A) remains the same both
before and after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle."

Chevrolet's 2006 specification of "same both before and after coupling" corresponds to a single restoration specification of 100%.

Chevrolet's 2013 Suburban specification of "the same after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle and adjusting the hitch" also corresponds to a single restoration specification of 100%.

WDH adjustment for a Suburban 2500 is not the same as for a new Silverado 2500.

Ron
Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
My question was "the mathematical difference between, "Approximately", my term and, "as close to 100% as possible", your quote from the manual.

You took exception to my choice of word in describing the set up of a hitch. I would again ask for the explanation of the difference between these two.
Howie, I'm afraid you're a little confused about what you posted.
You did not use the word "Approximately" in this exchange. It is not your term.
AAMOF, according to the SEARCH feature, the last time you used "approximately" in AirForums was 7/25/12.

You're also confused as to what I quoted from the manual.
The phrase, "as close to 100% as possible", did not come from the manual.
That phrase was my interpretation of what the manufacturer might reasonably expect an owner to do in response to their specification of "the same".

So, you're asking me to explain the difference between something you thought you posted -- but did not
versus
something you thought I quoted from the manual -- but did not.

Also, I did not take "exception to" your use of "Approximately", since you never used the word.

I was commenting on your unequivocal statement, "There are TOO many variables, tongue weight, length of trailer, length of TV, weight of trailer, and many more, for a manufacture to give a single percentage."

For a Tahoe/Suburban and every other tow vehicle I know of, except the 2500HD/3500HD trucks, when a manufacturer specifies how a WDH should be adjusted, there is only a single specification.

Ron
Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Ron

You are correct in your explanation of the word "approximately" by my use this tread.

While I completely disagree with the use of a manual written by a Lawyer for one to use to select or apply a WD hitch to one's unit, I had better read these posts more carefully before posting against such information.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
For a Tahoe/Suburban and every other tow vehicle I know of, except the 2500HD/3500HD trucks, when a manufacturer specifies how a WDH should be adjusted, there is only a single specification.

Ron
Ron, you may want to research some more. Ford now has 50% for some of their models and the GM 1500 models towing from 7,000 to 9,000 pounds also have a 50% requirement and as you note, the 2500/3500 series are not subject to a single specification. Combining the Fords with the GM pickups accounts for a large percentage of the pickups on the market.

I am not saying they are right and you are wrong. I am saying what they are requiring for safe and sane operation of their tow vehicles.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Originally Posted by dkottum
doug k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Doug

In the past I had PM you that I would no longer comment on your misrepresentations. But this editorial accomplishments warrants acknowledgement.

Acknowledgement only of it's complete misrepresentation.
Howie, here is my Andersen setup.

Where is the leverage for anything but a limited amount of weight distribution?

Where is the flexibility remaining in that compressed urethane bushing, compared to a conventional spring bar, to take up vertical movement of roads and approaches? I found some of it in elongated bracket mounting holes I drilled in the frame. I may have found more of it in a left front banana wrap that was torn away from a mounting rivet.

Note that the chains are pulling the coupler against the rear of the ball, and any latch at the rear of the ball. If the latch should fail, what keeps it from disconnecting(a spring bar hitch clamps the coupler to the ball)?

doug k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9193.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	187659