Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Nobody has yet posted a photo of an exploded bushing. Please post one to prove its possible.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #142
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
One needs to consider the hitch itself when using or not using WD. On the Silverado 1/2 ton, the limit TW is 600# w/o WD. Much higher with. The first thing I did when I bought my 2011 Silverado was replace that flimsy factory hitch with a heavier duty Curt.
Anyone towing with a tongue weight more than 600# has to use a WD hitch or you may overstress the hitch.
I would suggest ayone using the Anderson (myself included) and the GM tubular 600# factory crap hitch, to check that hitch frequently.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #143
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
One needs to consider the hitch itself when using or not using WD. On the Silverado 1/2 ton, the limit TW is 600# w/o WD. Much higher with. The first thing I did when I bought my 2011 Silverado was replace that flimsy factory hitch with a heavier duty Curt.
Anyone towing with a tongue weight more than 600# has to use a WD hitch or you may overstress the hitch.
I would suggest ayone using the Anderson (myself included) and the GM tubular 600# factory crap hitch, to check that hitch frequently.
A very good point...

I retired from a GM store in 2010, at that time the "round bar" was still being used, our 2006 Burb had one, first towing mod I did.

Bob
Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #144
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
I confess to being guilty too, but I haven't seen many "Andersen Hitch Users Reports" lately. Perhaps they changed the name of the thread without telling me? Couldn't really blame them if they did. Apparently, we all have our agendas.
Rendrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rendrag, Perhaps new and happy users are sick and tired of the repeated bashing by a disgruntled unhappy ex-user and by others that have zero experience with the Andersen WD system and would rather not give them more reasons to repost the same old thing over and over again. This is just my personal opinion and means absolutely nothing in the big scheme of things.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #146
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
There is a lot of truth in what you said. There seems to be certain few who think that repeating the same criticisms over and over will make them more truthful. The real Andersen hitch users are enjoying their travels.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #147
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

.....and of course that also works the other way. The truth is very subjective around here.
"I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you."

Bob
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #148
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Another cute statement is, "I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong".
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #149
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Rendrag, Perhaps new and happy users are sick and tired of the repeated bashing by a disgruntled unhappy ex-user and by others that have zero experience with the Andersen WD system and would rather not give them more reasons to repost the same old thing over and over again. This is just my personal opinion and means absolutely nothing in the big scheme of things.
I was a very happy user of the Andersen with my 34 foot 1988 limited, and my 2008 Ford F-350 diesel. My 88 listed at 8800 lbs dry, and I figure when loaded with our stuff and my wife and myself we were at 10,000 lbs. we towed a total of 5,000 miles with the Andersen and had smooth, even towing. I did have to adjust my setup to 10 threads to achieve the correct steering geometry for the best steering for my rig.

I upgraded our trailer to a 34 foot classic limited with slide that weighs in at 11,500 lbs dry, and it came with a Hensly set up. I thought long and hard about going with the Andersen, but ultimately decided to try the Hensley. I don't regret that decision as I think the Andersen would have been overwhelmed by the weight of my trailer. That said I really miss the Andersen as it gave me the best towing experience I have ever had, and I believe that as the engineers use the feedback they are getting from the many Airstream users on this forum, the Andersen will develop into a top flight hitch.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #150
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Nice to hear some positive remarks here. I was thinking it was time to get dig the boxing gloves out . I'm another happy AH user. I do have the problem Atwood coupler and will change it down the road but for now I keep an eye on it and inspect it often. We towed 7000 miles on a winter trip south. Looking to get out again in a few weeks. I would think that the adjustment to 10 threads would mean it's time to move the brackets aft a little. You probably maxxed out the socket they provide with the AH hitch. I needed to move mine a little while in Florida and will need to play with it again one of these days. But for the time being we're ready to go. Just waiting on Mother Nature to stop getting angry with us here in the NE. Other than the cost I've never heard any negatives regarding the Hensley and similar design hitches. I went with the Anderson due to it's simplicity and light(er) weight. So far So good.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
I would suggest anyone using the Anderson (myself included) and the GM tubular 600# factory crap hitch, to check that hitch frequently.
I wouldn't narrow it down to Anderson users, I would say anyone using the factory crap hitch at all (even for a step, let alone towing) needs to check it frequently.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
GM has a history of crap receivers. This was my 1997 Suburban 2500 after returning from Alaska and using my old Reese Dual Cam system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch crack3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	187727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Crack2 s .jpg
Views:	187
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	187728  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #153
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
"...snip.....That said I really miss the Andersen as it gave me the best towing experience I have ever had, and I believe that as the engineers use the feedback they are getting from the many Airstream users on this forum, the Andersen will develop into a top flight hitch.

Regards,

Reganzo "

Well said. I think most who have actually towed with an Andersen hitch would expect the company to improve on their product. Not many first generation products are perfect. Nice to see a realistic appraisal rather than the rants of the Andersen haters and baiters.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #154
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
I think with my 28 foot overlander and my F-250 diesel the Andersen will perform just fine. I hope so anyways!
Noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #155
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A very good point...

I retired from a GM store in 2010, at that time the "round bar" was still being used, our 2006 Burb had one, first towing mod I did.

Bob
That lame piece of junk that was used for so many years. It really makes one wonder how much a company really understands about the whole towing deal.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #156
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
That lame piece of junk that was used for so many years. It really makes one wonder how much a company really understands about the whole towing deal.
At some point they must have got the word, as the hitch on my 2009 and 2013 Silverado's are much more substantial.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
People KEEP ON showing the picture of the GM receiver hitch, and they KEEP ON misleading people with those pictures because what they don't show is the other cross member of the frame that the hitch attaches to.

I towed with a stock GM receiver for years without any issues whatsoever.

However, they did have some bad corrosion problems up North where they use chemicals on the roads for ice that we don't have down here.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Roger, I would not put the gloves away. I would suspect that if some of these folks got together in the same campground they might come in handy.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #159
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Chief. Good Idea. Got any ideas for a portable ring ???? Hmmmm maybe even some ticket sales. Hold that thought.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And how about a special door prize for the winner. Maybe someone that is afraid of their Andersen will donate it to either the winner or loser depending on the outcome.