Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #99
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What is in question is proper weight distribution. Unfortunately the central requirement as the anti-sway is comparable or slightly better than with a friction bar type, but cannot exert the same resistance to sway as a Dual Cam or the slightly less desirable Equalizer. (Maybe on the very lightest combinations, it could).

It matters not if it is quiet, light or exhibits decent anti-sway if it cannot meet the TV manufacturer requiremet for WD.

A VPP hitch [virtual projection pivot] such as the Hensley or Pro Pride is in another category altogether. The distance between this type and all others is a gulf too large to bridge. There is no comparison.

rendrag, if truly a fulltimer, you are missing out on how good hitch can be (when, as with other types, both vehicles are properly set up in order to make valid comparisons. This is no caveat, by the way).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
??...just how do the manufacturers determine how much weight needs to be transferred. By %, spring compression or what?---

Is 100 off, 200 off , just what is the number that statement is based on.
I was always under the impression that the closest you could get to the unladen weight with a level rig was the goal. Ours number is 100lbs.
The 2004 Tahoe/Suburban Owners Manual states:
"When using a weight-distributing hitch, the hitch must be adjusted so the distance (A) remains the same both before and after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle."
This manual pertains both to 1500-series and 2500-series vehicles.

The 2013 Tahoe/Suburban Owners Manual states:
"When using a weight-distributing hitch, the spring bars should be
adjusted so the distance (A) is the same after coupling the trailer to the
tow vehicle and adjusting the hitch."
This manual also pertains both to the 1500-series and 2500-series.

I'm guessing the Manuals for all model years between 2004 and 2013 also contain one of these nearly identical versions of the WDH adjustment specification.
Note the specification says "the same" -- not "approximately the same".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
There are TOO many variables, tongue weight, length of trailer, length of TV, weight of trailer, and many more, for a manufacture to give a single percentage.
I believe a reasonable person would conclude that Chevrolet wants Tahoe/Suburban owners to eliminate 100% of the front-end rise -- or as close to that figure as practical.

I also believe a reasonable person would conclude that means Chevrolet wants owners to restore 100% of the front-end load which was removed --- or as close to 100% as practical.

I guess we have to leave it to the individual owners to determine what is "practical" when it comes to fine tuning their WDH.

Ron

Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Can anyone compare thebAndersen to a Hensley or Equal-I-Zer or EaZLift or any other commonly used setup?
I have used different form of the Reese system for close to 40 years. Till I saw and understood the Andersen system. While it and the Andersen are close in price the Andersen is hands down over the Reese in proformance.

I have written several treads on the Reese addressing some of the short comings. Most notably the fact that the bars are not manufactured to the same length and if not marked and reversed they become additive to sway rather than subtractive

I have never used a HaHa or PP but have watched numerous camper spend far to much time battling with them during hitching to ever justify the 5 fold cost difference.

The most notable disadvantage of all the bar systems, over and above the mechanical clunkiness, is they have no damping effect on porpoising where as the Andersen does. If you have ever driven Route 10 in La. you will buy it for that reason alone.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
...snip.........
rendrag, if truly a fulltimer, you are missing out on how good hitch can be (when, as with other types, both vehicles are properly set up in order to make valid comparisons. This is no caveat, by the way).

I have no idea what this means. I have towed thousands of miles with four different WD hitches, with three different half ton and four three quarter ton pickups in the last ten years. I have talked to dozens of other RVers to hear what they have to say about their setups. I have been to the scales at least once with every combination I have owned, usually twice. I have towed from Florida to Washington State, Texas to Calgary and all over in between. I realize this does not make me an expert, but I certainly know how to make valid comparisons. Why would you question if I am "truly" a fulltimer? My home has wheels and RVing is what I do. If some other hitch is better, it would have to drive itself and I still like to take care of that part.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #103
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
....snip......
....snip......
Ron

Ron;

Do the manuals state the threshold where WD hitches are required as well as how to set them up?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
T

I believe a reasonable person would conclude that Chevrolet wants Tahoe/Suburban owners to eliminate 100% of the front-end rise -- or as close to that figure as practical.
I also believe a reasonable person would conclude that means Chevrolet wants owners to restore 100% of the front-end load which was removed --- or as close to 100% as practical.

I guess we have to leave it to the individual owners to determine what is "practical" when it comes to fine tuning their WDH.

Ron

Ron

Would you please explain to me the mathematical difference between "Approximately" and "as close to 100% as possible". I would assume any reasonable person might put them in the same ball park.

You might also note that neither is a "Single %"

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Do the manuals state the threshold where WD hitches are required as well as how to set them up?
2004 Manual says:
The trailer tongue weight (A) should be 10 percent to
15 percent of the total loaded trailer weight, up to
a maximum or 600 lbs. (272 kg) for the 1500 series,
and up to a maximum of 600 lbs. (272 kg) for the
2500 series with a weight carrying hitch. The trailer
tongue weight (A) should be 10 percent to 15 percent
of the total loaded trailer weight, up to a maximum
of 1,000 lbs. (453 kg) for the 1500 series and up to a
maximum of 1,500 lbs. (680 kg) for the 2500 series
with a weight distributing hitch.

2013 Manual says:
Vehicle Series _____ Hitch Type _____ Maximum Tongue Weight
1500/2500 _______ Weight Carrying ______ 272 kg (600 lb)
1500/2500 _______ Weight Distributing ____ 453 kg (1,000 lb)

Ron
Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Would you please explain to me the mathematical difference between "Approximately" and "as close to 100% as possible". I would assume any reasonable person might put them in the same ball park.

You might also note that neither is a "Single %"
When the manufacturer says "the same", I believe that means 100%.

Ron
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
2004 Manual says:
The trailer tongue weight (A) should be 10 percent to
15 percent of the total loaded trailer weight, up to
a maximum or 600 lbs. (272 kg) for the 1500 series,
and up to a maximum of 600 lbs. (272 kg) for the
2500 series with a weight carrying hitch. The trailer
tongue weight (A) should be 10 percent to 15 percent
of the total loaded trailer weight, up to a maximum
of 1,000 lbs. (453 kg) for the 1500 series and up to a
maximum of 1,500 lbs. (680 kg) for the 2500 series
with a weight distributing hitch.

2013 Manual says:
Vehicle Series _____ Hitch Type _____ Maximum Tongue Weight
1500/2500 _______ Weight Carrying ______ 272 kg (600 lb)
1500/2500 _______ Weight Distributing ____ 453 kg (1,000 lb)

Ron
The 2012 Suburban manual is a little different. It shows that the 2500 is good to go with a weight carrying hitch up to 1,000 pounds.So, for a 2500, at 999 pounds of tongue weight, 0% FALR is required with a load carrying hitch and at 1,001 pounds, only two pounds more, it jumps to 100%. That is quite a change for two pounds. I would think that 50% might be good for something in between. Common sense must have a place in here somewhere.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
---Common sense must have a place in here somewhere.
For many people, "common sense" means following the Owners Manual specifications.

Chevrolet specifies that when a WDH is used with a Tahoe/Suburban, the front end should be returned to its unhitched height.

Ron
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Not a problem. It seems like there would be a lot of dissatisfied customers if they put 999 pounds of tongue weight on a load carrying hitch. That is following the manual also.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I have used different form of the Reese system for close to 40 years. Till I saw and understood the Andersen system. While it and the Andersen are close in price the Andersen is hands down over the Reese in proformance.

I have written several treads on the Reese addressing some of the short comings. Most notably the fact that the bars are not manufactured to the same length and if not marked and reversed they become additive to sway rather than subtractive

I have never used a HaHa or PP but have watched numerous camper spend far to much time battling with them during hitching to ever justify the 5 fold cost difference.

The most notable disadvantage of all the bar systems, over and above the mechanical clunkiness, is they have no damping effect on porpoising where as the Andersen does. If you have ever driven Route 10 in La. you will buy it for that reason alone.
Ditto for I-20 through Louisiana especially Shreveport and Bossier City...
Old 06-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #111
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
The 2004 Tahoe/Suburban Owners Manual states:
"When using a weight-distributing hitch, the hitch must be adjusted so the distance (A) remains the same both before and after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle."
This manual pertains both to 1500-series and 2500-series vehicles.

I'm guessing the Manuals for all model years between 2004 and 2013 also contain one of these nearly identical versions of the WDH adjustment specification.

Ron

Thank you Howie, Ron, it just didn't make sense that they would recommend any setting that did not return the FE to the unloaded setting.

It matters little what hitch your using as long as it's set up properly and your happy with the outcome.
Every system has some positive and negative's. I try not to comment on any that I haven't used. A good guideline I believe.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #112
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Tahoes and suburbans are dif vehicles and they may require dif hitch weight and wd settings. Do not compare the two without checking the towing setups needed for each. Jim