Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #155
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A very good point...

I retired from a GM store in 2010, at that time the "round bar" was still being used, our 2006 Burb had one, first towing mod I did.

Bob
That lame piece of junk that was used for so many years. It really makes one wonder how much a company really understands about the whole towing deal.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #156
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
That lame piece of junk that was used for so many years. It really makes one wonder how much a company really understands about the whole towing deal.
At some point they must have got the word, as the hitch on my 2009 and 2013 Silverado's are much more substantial.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
People KEEP ON showing the picture of the GM receiver hitch, and they KEEP ON misleading people with those pictures because what they don't show is the other cross member of the frame that the hitch attaches to.

I towed with a stock GM receiver for years without any issues whatsoever.

However, they did have some bad corrosion problems up North where they use chemicals on the roads for ice that we don't have down here.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Roger, I would not put the gloves away. I would suspect that if some of these folks got together in the same campground they might come in handy.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #159
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Chief. Good Idea. Got any ideas for a portable ring ???? Hmmmm maybe even some ticket sales. Hold that thought.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And how about a special door prize for the winner. Maybe someone that is afraid of their Andersen will donate it to either the winner or loser depending on the outcome.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #161
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Just getting around to telling about last weeks travels. Went to our combined unit rally in B.G. Ohio. Only about a 60 mile round trip and the Andersen preformed well. At the rally about 10 people wanted to know about the Andersen, the Quick bite, and the EZ connector wire harness. Everyone liked and understood the way the all worked. Of the ten most were thinking using one, two, or all three of them. I did tell them that in my opinion the Andersen works best with full sized pickups and vans, and not so well with SUV's and sedans.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Stockbridge , Georgia

For $200 more you can get the Anderson and have a product made in USA with sway control.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The less expensive systems usually cut corners. We bought 10 Curt weight distributing hitches at work. They are just cheesy. The method of holding the torsion bars in is just terrible. All 10 are broken after not even 6 months. You always get what you pay for.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The less expensive systems usually cut corners. We bought 10 Curt weight distributing hitches at work. They are just cheesy. The method of holding the torsion bars in is just terrible. All 10 are broken after not even 6 months. You always get what you pay for.
From your earlier post can i assume your comment about less expensive systems refers to the EQ hitch getting what you pay for and not the Andersen?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Speaking in general that principal applies. My point is- don't get the least expensive hitch and don't go strictly on written specifications. Real life and specs on paper are 2 different things. The specific brands I mentioned are the ones I have personal experience with. The Andersen hitch is a great product for sure, but I have never used one. I think the Hensley Arrow may also be a good one, but I have never had one, and I have only seen them in person twice. Do I think the Equal-I-Zer is a good hitch? Yes. Do I think there may be better hitches out there? Yes.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't always follow all of the rules

Just returned from a 23 day 4000 mile trip with our '74 Argosy 26'. From Henry, NE to Vancouver, BC and back.
My TV is an '08 Tundra
I use the Andersen Hitch and a Marvel coupler rated at 20,000#
The TV has "P" rated tires With 40 PSI in the rear tires
The trailer has "ST" rated tires with 55 PSI in all 4 tires
The trailer weighs in at 5,500# loaded for travel
I also use air bags on the rear axle with 28# in each bag.
Here is a pic of the setup.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_4049.jpg

There was one issue with the Andersen Hitch. And it only happened one time. The threads on the tensioning bolt hung up on the washer welded to the square tubing. Note in the following two photos. The chains are slack and the bushings are compressed.
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_3244.jpg

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_3243.jpg

The brackets did not move throughout the entire trip.

When setting up the hitch I follow Andersen's instructions, but don't count the threads. I measure the compression of the bushings. Tightening the nut until I measure 3" outside to outside on the washers at each end of the bushing.

I do feel the air bags on the rear axle of the TV are a big plus and help with the Andersen Hitch. Requiring less tension on the bushings to obtain the "steering geometry". As you can see in the first pic. The truck and trailer are riding in the correct plane.

We drove in 50 MPH headwinds thru driving rain for 3 days heading northwest thru Montana. Driving at 60 MPH. Experienced no porpoising or sway problems the whole trip. The water was deep enough on the hiway that it knocked one of the hub caps off.

There were no problems with the Marvel Coupler. Even though the latch handle raises up when hitched. The pawl is securely nestled with the ball.
I meant to take a pic of the ball to show the wear marks. But haven't done it yet. But looking at the top of the ball, with the receiver being at 12 o'clock. There are 3 points of contact on the ball. On at 10 O'clock, one at 2 O'clock and one at 6 O'clock. Each being about an inch long and about 1/2" below the top of the ball. The marks are what I would consider normal, with no signs of gouging.

Here is a close up of the hitch when set up.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_4052.jpg

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_4050.jpg

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_4051.jpg

And last. Do you think this guy has a steering geometry problem?

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_4048.jpg
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Using air bags to lift the back of the truck is not weight distribution, it's only lifting the back of the truck. Weight distribution is needed to restore not only the geometry of the front axle, but to restore handling and braking characteristics of the truck as well as a balanced payload.

My experience with the Andersen bushing compression compared to yours indicates you have little tension on them; that would of course keep the brackets from moving. And indicates little weight distribution.

Andersen has warned not to use the hitch with this coupler, it can wear he latch and uncouple from the trailer. The looped chain may prevent this, but how do you know.

Indeed you don't always follow the rules, but I would hope this is not taken by others as a safe towing setup.

doug k
Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Andersen talks about the Atwood coupler not the Marvel coupler. They are totally different animals.
I won't get into the weight distribution discussion.
This combination works for me. The handling is solid.
I would not recommend the Andersen on a trailer larger than mine. And would be skeptical as to how effective it is without the airbag system. Since the compression of the bushings have their limits.
IMHO