Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #181
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
I posted earlier on the massive thread concerning Andersen hitches. Since this is an Andersen users thread, I will share my experiences. My AS is an 06 25FB, TV is 08 Ford 3/4 ton diesel. The coupler is the infamous 88007 Atwood. When I installed the hitch, I carefully followed the instructions. I only used the set screws along with the bolts to hold the brackets in place. However I used a cheater bar to accomplish the 3 additional turns called for after the set screw made contact with the frame. In positioning the brackets I was very careful to pull the chains as tight as possible to determine their location on the trailer frame. I found what I thought to be the proper tension on the chains to be achieved by having 5 threads exposed on one side and 6 threads exposed on the other side.
My first use was a trip of approximately 1000 miles to Big Bend NP. When I got home I thought there was some wear on the "sharks fin". To add strength to the fin, I welded a bead down each side so it was held not just from the back, but by being welded down each side to the top of the coupler. The latch flares enough on each side so that when it is closed the weld does not interfere with it and the holes for the pin line up in the normal position.
After reading the posts on the previous thread, I purchased an Atwood 81911 and a 88061 repair kit for the 88007. Before we left for Alaska, I decided to start with the original coupler as modified, and take the repair kit and new 81911 along as insurance. I also adopted TG Twinkies "belt AND suspenders" approach and put a safety chain over the hitch. I also followed idroba's suggestion by using a small amount of grease on the ball. I also used it on the latch and sharks fin. I drove from my home in Texas up through MT into Canada and up the Alaska Highway. We went to Homer, Seward, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. We returned via the Cassiar Highway through BC and into Washington, Oregon and Idaho back to Texas, in excess of 10,000 miles.
The brackets on the frame have not moved at all and the only wear has been a small amount on the ball and on the chain. I failed to apply grease to the chain in a timely manner or some of that wear could have been mitigated. I am a happy Andersen user.
Thanks for the update. How was your experience with sway and pourpoising? How has the anti-sway friction material hold up over 10,000 miles, is it being pushed out?
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote