Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Charlottesville , Virginia
Question Alignment of ball an coupler

Just recently purchased a 2008 Bambi 19, and love it ! But......
I do quite a bit of hitching-unhitching by myself and am trying to come up with a scheme for aligning the tow ball and trailer hitch without having to repeatedly jump out of the tow vehicle to check where things are. I've seen the expensive wireless camera idea, and the old tennis-ball-on-a-stick thing, but am trying to come up with something (way)cheaper and better. Perhaps there should be a rv 'X' prize to accomplish this seemingly mundane task.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I learned how to hitch "solo" by aligning a spot on my tailgate with the center of the window. It's mostly just knowing my trailer and the reference points I have chosen on the truck and trailer. Works pretty good. Took some practice at first.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
At the last rally someone had a pretty neat plastic convex mirror that temporarily clipped to the jack (just for hitching purposes) and used a flourescent sticky dot on the ball and coupler. He said it was foolproof and worked like a charm. I'd do a web search for hitching mirror or similar. I think it was something like hitchupmirror.com.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
With the rear hatch open and the back seat foldered down, I can see the hitch and ball as I hook up.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Harper
Do U have a Harbor Freight? They have Wild Green lookin balls mounted on telescoping rods with magnets on the bottom. One one the hitch and one one the tongue and align the balls. Nuffin to it. Tractor Supply carrys them and I know your local trailer dealer does also.
Good Luck
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Some of the trailer supplies have a plate that mounts on the hitch behind the ball forming a pocket with the ball in the center. As you back up the "V" plate centers the ball and stops the TV in the sweet spot.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tow alignment

Greetings Harper!

Welcome to the Forums!

I am a FreeWheeler and have traveld solo for more than 20 years. One of my first purchases was the HitchHelper magnetic mirror. The HitchHelper has a magnetic base, with an adjustable height rod to which the convex mirror head attaches. I can vouch for the durability of these assemblies -- mine is more than 20 years old and still looks and performs like new.

I tow with a variety of tow vehicles so the ability to adjust height is important -- my K2500 takes near maximum height while my Cadillac Eldorado takes one of the lowest settings.

The link below will take you to the HitchHelper website.

How to Use Hitch Helper Mirror

I am have been very satisfied with the HitchHelper.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote