Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Airstream coupler thread

Hi, in this "Airstream Coupler Thread" you can discuss any and all couplers used by Airstream or aftermarket couplers that you have installed on your Airstream. And couplers that you might want to consider for your Airstream. Or even coupler designs that you would like to see made.

You can also discuss maintenance, problems, repairs, modifications, tips, experiences, [good or bad] and relate to coupler concerns with any, and all brand, size, and color, hitches.

Please abide by forum rules.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm not in a rush but eventually I will probably change mine. Not sure which way to go yet though. I like the Quikbite and was looking at them recently but have not yet gotten an answer to my inquiry regarding coupling / uncoupling at an angle. I tow using the Anderson hitch and if the QB is not found to be angle friendly will most likely go to the other Atwood design that is more Anderson compatible.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I'm not in a rush but eventually I will probably change mine. Not sure which way to go yet though. I like the Quikbite and was looking at them recently but have not yet gotten an answer to my inquiry regarding coupling / uncoupling at an angle. I tow using the Anderson hitch and if the QB is not found to be angle friendly will most likely go to the other Atwood design that is more Anderson compatible.
Hi, polarlyse; I think you can still connect to the Quickbite coupler at an angle, but you have to line up the ball and drop the coupler onto it like when using an Atwood coupler. Someone who owns one of these should be able to tell us how they do it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
The Quickbite coupler does sound interesting, but a major install on a newer TT.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Fortunately my 1964 Bambi II has the original cast iron Marvel coupler. It still works as well as the day it was installed. If and when it ever does crap out and is unfixable (parts are still available) I suspect I will replace it with a Quickbite. Until then I will just happily motor along the highways knowing I have a safe and secure combination of Marvel/Andersen WD/2012 F150 Ecoboost.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Bob. I was thinking along the same line as you on the QB coupler. I was hoping to hear from users to confirm our thinking. Still thinking on it.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Has anyone looked at the Bull Dog coupler?
They are a robust unit and you can hitch at an angle.
I believe you have to be pretty much straight on to set up the Andersen system.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Like any other hitch if you are at a troublesome angle with the Anderson you can just set it on the ball and pull out. Once you are straight the chains attach easily. You can also turn the triangle plate to compensate. So whichever works best. My concern with the QB coupler was getting into the jaws. But, it seems, like any traditional coupler you can also set it down on the ball. I certainly appreciate the opportunity to toss this around.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I just checked my Quick-bite coupler. No , you cannot set it straight down onto the hitch ball. You may be able back in at a 20 to 30 degree angle to get the jaws to close around the ball. The Quick-bite encapsulates the ball by about 80% to 90% when the jaws close and the coupler locks down. The quick-bite closes and locks down when you back into it, then you insert the pin through the coupler to secure it.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thank you for looking closer at that for me. Since I seem to encounter this often enough to ask the question I think I shall look into one of the others when I decide to make the change. Too bad, I do like the function of the QB. My trailer is done at the emergency room and I will pick it up next week. Now to decide where to go with it.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I looked at the Bulldog coupler when I replaced mine last year. It is very strong and has been made in essentially the same form since the mid 1930's. It is a very common choice on horse trailers which are used and abused far more than any other trailer I know of. Be aware that it is longer than the original Atwood coupler by 2 to 3 inches, and that can change where your brackets for your WD chains are located. On many AS units, the gas tanks and battery locations make it hard to move the brackets forward very much. On the Reese, Draw Tight and other WD hitches you want the chains to be vertical, so the bracket location is fairly critical. On the Andersen, the chains may have to be lengthened.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote