Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Airsafe alone ?

I'm have made up my mind to go with the Airsafe hitch. Now my big questions are , keep using my Equalizer hitch with the Airsafe ,or use an Airsafe alone. Weight distribution is not an issue as I'm towing a '63 Globetrotter with a 2500 4x4 Ram and the tongue weight is not an issue but sway is still a concern of mine. Cross winds and semis can do amazing things to you when towing. Airsafe claims to eliminate sway but at same time recommends using weight distribution per manufacturers recommendations.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I'm have made up my mind to go with the Airsafe hitch. Now my big questions are , keep using my Equalizer hitch with the Airsafe ,or use an Airsafe alone. Weight distribution is not an issue as I'm towing a '63 Globetrotter with a 2500 4x4 Ram and the tongue weight is not an issue but sway is still a concern of mine. Cross winds and semis can do amazing things to you when towing. Airsafe claims to eliminate sway but at same time recommends using weight distribution per manufacturers recommendations.

I bought an AirSafe 3 1/2 years ago, just before a 15,000 mile drive to Alaska from Alabama. Since that trip, I've pulled the Airstream another 40,000 miles. I don't remember the people at AirSafe ever saying that it eliminates sway. Mechanically, there is nothing on the AirSafe that would eliminate sway. That being said, it does provide the trailer with a lot smoother ride, things stay put, and drawers stay closed.

With the AirSafe I use the Reese Dual Cam WD, and I've never had a sway problem. It's easy to hookup and unhook, and most important it works!
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
As the previous poster stated, I also don't recall Airsafe claiming any sway prevention. We use the Equalizer/Airsafe combo with great results.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

I seem to remember that AirSafe may have made the point that since the hitch's Firestone air bags help isolate the tow vehicle's and the trailer's suspension systems and thus allow them to work somewhat independently, the Air Safe will help to enhance towing stability which includes sway control.

I have been using a Class V AirSafe since 1996, and it does everything it claims. However, I do use friction sway control bars because they do keep the "jitters" out of my rig when being passed by trucks and busses on the Interstate. I've never experience any true sway, just that push-pull sensation when heavy rigs pass me at speed, and the sway bars eliminate that.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #45
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
The minor sway reduction function of the Airsafe comes from reducing the weight shift to/from your front axle the trailer bounces. You should still use a weight distribution system, it is much safer that way. I use my Airsafe with an Equalizer, am happy with it.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Airstreamer 67 has it almost verbatim from the Airsafe web site. It's sort of conflicting information in my mind but I guess as long as lawyers roam the earth we live with that. Since I have the Equalizer, I'll use it with the Airsafe.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
How much does the Airsafe/Equalizer head weigh? I assume Airsafe is held in the tow vehicle receiver with a locking pin and can be removed from the tow vehicle. I find just the Equalizer head is a bit of a grunt to remove and insert.

I wonder how the Airsafe/Equalizer combo compares to Propride or Hensley set up?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
How much does the Airsafe/Equalizer head weigh? I assume Airsafe is held in the tow vehicle receiver with a locking pin and can be removed from the tow vehicle. I find just the Equalizer head is a bit of a grunt to remove and insert.

I wonder how the Airsafe/Equalizer combo compares to Propride or Hensley set up?

Kelvin
I'm guessing on the weight so don't hold me to the exact weight, but I'm thinking around 70 pounds. One of these days I'll weigh mine. Mine is a class 5 for whatever and might weigh a couple pounds more than the class 4
Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I have a Airsafe VI and Equilizier. Without the bars attached it weighs 75lbs approx.I built a simple roller cart for it out of wood and a furniture roller.and when I take it off I just pull the pin on the WD hitch ,slide it onto the roller cart and roll it into the garage,Very easy.After using the Airsafe I will not be pulling my Airstream without it,I makes a huge difference in my application.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I have a Airsafe VI and Equilizier. Without the bars attached it weighs 75lbs approx.I built a simple roller cart for it out of wood and a furniture roller.and when I take it off I just pull the pin on the WD hitch ,slide it onto the roller cart and roll it into the garage,Very easy.After using the Airsafe I will not be pulling my Airstream without it,I makes a huge difference in my application.
Any possibility of posting a couple of photo's, from different angles, of your Airsafe and the Equalizer WD setup? Thanks
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Airsafe? Is this online?
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Any possibility of posting a couple of photo's, from different angles, of your Airsafe and the Equalizer WD setup? Thanks
Sorry my Airstream is in storage currently or I would take a photo.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #53
Professional Wanderer

1987 34' Excella
FLW , Missouri
I'm the new guy here, but I have owned two Airsafe hitches. Both Class VI. I have towed about 20,000 miles with them. I just made a trip from AK to MO pulling a 1987 34' excella. It was just shy of 5,000 miles. I made the whole trip with no sway control device, and had no real sway issue. I also don't go over 60 MPH usually. My total hitch setup cost me right at 1800 dollars with shipping, but it was worth every penny. They are pricey, but when you have a 30,000 dollar truck, and a trailer that means alot to you, what is 1-2000 dollars for the piece of mind.

Bobby
907airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907airstream View Post
I'm the new guy here, but I have owned two Airsafe hitches. Both Class VI. I have towed about 20,000 miles with them. I just made a trip from AK to MO pulling a 1987 34' excella. It was just shy of 5,000 miles. I made the whole trip with no sway control device, and had no real sway issue. I also don't go over 60 MPH usually. My total hitch setup cost me right at 1800 dollars with shipping, but it was worth every penny. They are pricey, but when you have a 30,000 dollar truck, and a trailer that means alot to you, what is 1-2000 dollars for the piece of mind.

Bobby
Air Hitch by AirSafe Hitch Technology | Air Hitch Technology
Old 09-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907airstream View Post

Bobby
I baulked when I saw the price of the Airsafe Hitch, but reading about your experience and solid rational the price is small to protect my investments.
GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
After bolting on the weight distribution bracket I received from AirSafe, I was wondering if anyone had experienced an incident in which the bracket came off of the AirSafe. There are only 4 small bolts and no nuts that hold that bracket to the back of the AirSafe hitch. (As compared to the equalizer hitch head that bolts on to this bracket using long 3/4 inch bolts with nuts.) This seems to be the weak link in this assembly. I would certainly appreciate any ideas on this.
Thanks,
Rick
We have an Airsafe Hitch that we had previously loved until we experienced the failure of the weld that holds the Equalizer Head to the bracket that mounts on the Airsafe Hitch. It wasn't a bolt failure but a weld failure. When it failed it separated and dropped our trailer. Thankfully we were going very slowly as we had just come from a stop sign. It still did damage but not nearly what it would have done at highway speeds. When we could see behind the failed weld, it was completely rusted and only about a 4 inch part of the weld was still attached as it showed bright metal, not rust. The rest of the weld was completely rusted away. It was in no way visible, so we could not have detected that it was failing. It is about a year old hitch, still under warranty and had about 6000 miles of towing. It is housed when not used, in our garage in the arid southwest with very low humidity. Although Airsafe sent us a replacement hitch, we are hesitant to use it after experiencing this failure.
ramblin girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
This is the only Airsafe weld failure that I have ever heard about.I have pulled with mine close to 40,000 miles so far with out incident.Sounds like a unfortunate human error in the weld process and not the norm.These are high quality hitches.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
With the rough roads and terrible Interstates, it seem that everything in our FC was jostled and bounced to the floor when we stopped for the night. I heard about the AIRSAFE hitch about a year ago, and after getting over sticker shock!!, we decided to try one out. It has been great. We did about 8000 miles this year over some really bad roads, and almost never had things in the FC on the floor. Even forgot to take the Salt&Pepper off the table on one segment, and they were still on the table when we stopped.

Our safety chains, umbilical cord were long enough and our REEASE weight distribution and Friction sway control set up bolted on and we did not have to make any adjustments.
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #59

Midlothian , Virginia
Hello, is your shank length 8.5" or 6.5" for your setup? I'm looking at one and have rock tamers. I think there is enough room, 2" space I'll have to set it up.
ltepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #60
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
AirSafe users who also have Equalizer hitches

Itepper,

This thread is over 5 years old. You might get more responses if you start your own thread in the hitches sub forum.

Include basic trailer and tow vehicle info.

Welcome to Airforums.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote