Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #15
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
My AS dealer told me that AirSafe is a good system but it you loose an airbag then your dead in the water. Not sure what he meant by that.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
My AS dealer told me that AirSafe is a good system but it you loose an airbag then your dead in the water. Not sure what he meant by that.
Hi, I seen one that was too low on air pressure and it was sitting on the bottom stops. The only effect this would have would be like you didn't have this unit at all. [rougher ride]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
After bolting on the weight distribution bracket I received from AirSafe, I was wondering if anyone had experienced an incident in which the bracket came off of the AirSafe. There are only 4 small bolts and no nuts that hold that bracket to the back of the AirSafe hitch. (As compared to the equalizer hitch head that bolts on to this bracket using long 3/4 inch bolts with nuts.) This seems to be the weak link in this assembly. I would certainly appreciate any ideas on this.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
After bolting on the weight distribution bracket I received from AirSafe, I was wondering if anyone had experienced an incident in which the bracket came off of the AirSafe. There are only 4 small bolts and no nuts that hold that bracket to the back of the AirSafe hitch. (As compared to the equalizer hitch head that bolts on to this bracket using long 3/4 inch bolts with nuts.) This seems to be the weak link in this assembly. I would certainly appreciate any ideas on this.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I've used my Airsafe for the past three years, pulled our 30 Excella, and a 36 foot Open Range that weighed in excess of 13,000 pounds. In the past three years, we've traveled 30,000 miles, and no problems....Use it as designed, or if you have a problem, call them, they are good people, and have been very helpful whenever I've had questions.

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Me thinks your dealer hasn't taken the time to get familiar with the AirSafe. If my some odd chance the bag does fail, it will still carry the trailer safely.....Those bags are made by Firestone, and they have made air bag suspension systems for at least 35 years.

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Thanks,
Rick
The 1/2-13 bolts that are used to mount the bracket to the head are SAE Grade 5 which have a shear strength of 85,000 psi and a tensile strength of 120,000 psi each. If properly torqued I doubt they should be any concern. Grade 5 bolts are indicated by 3 hash marks space at 120 intervals on the head of the bolt.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
I had the airbag fail on mine (replaced under warranty), and you're not dead in the water...
Per AirSafe, in the event of an airbag failure, wedge something between the upper stops and the "floating box" the airbag is in. This essentially turns it into a rigid hitch.
We cut down a 2x4, wedged it in place and then wrapped a strap around the whole thing. We were then able to safely travel a couple thousand miles until the replacement airbag could catchup to us. This did serve as a reminder of just how rough the ride can be without this hitch, at least with our setup.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Wondering If you are going to use a M2/106 Freightliner to pull a 31 and are going to use a Air Hitch would you still need anti sway bars sonce you are using a big truck not sure if will need anti sway. Is anti sway for the trailer or the truck or both. See people pulling with and without sway bars and all seems to be Ok both ways. Still learning on my end
Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We're currently in Northern Indiana, on the final leg of an 10,000 mile round robin trip from Alabama, through the Southwestern states to Seattle, Indiana, then back to Alabama.
During the past three years that I've owned the AirSafe, we've towed more than 40,000 miles.
In all the years I've towed 5th wheels, and regular travel trailers, I must say, the AirSafe has been a great asset to our towing experiences....
I did break down and bought the new Reese Dual Cam hitch, and retired the old style one that we had.
I carry 38 to 40 PSI in the bag, and have only had to add air once, and that was because I screwed up and deflated it by accident....

Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Shank questions

I currently use an Equalizer hitch set up with my Globetrotter and 2500 Ram 4x4. I've decided to get an Airsafe hitch as the roads seem to be getting worse and this truck has a stiffer suspension than my last one. Couple of questions on this setup. Does a new shank come with the Airsafe? Is it then simply a matter of taking the Equalizer off the Equalizer shank and bolting it on to the Airsafe shank. Do I really need the Equalizer or will the Airsafe give me sway protection without it?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Hmmm.
I wonder if an Airsafe would benefit me with a 1/2 ton pickup and a Classic 30...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I currently use an Equalizer hitch set up with my Globetrotter and 2500 Ram 4x4. I've decided to get an Airsafe hitch as the roads seem to be getting worse and this truck has a stiffer suspension than my last one. Couple of questions on this setup. Does a new shank come with the Airsafe? Is it then simply a matter of taking the Equalizer off the Equalizer shank and bolting it on to the Airsafe shank. Do I really need the Equalizer or will the Airsafe give me sway protection without it?
I'm not sure what you mean for a shank, but the AirSafe comes with every thing you need.
All you have to do is put it into the receiver that is on your truck and bolt on the ball mount from your existing system.
Yes you still need your equalizer bars. The best thing you can do at this point is call the people at AirSafe and follow their advice. I've used an AirSafe for the past 5 years and more than 100K miles and love it.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Looks like you put your shank away, mount the ball on the Airsafe, and carry on.
How much are they? I am interested- I think I want one-
One the one hand, I think it would make travel on bad roads a little less bouncy, but on the other hand I think it could possibly introduce another annoying element of float-like-a-boat pitch and yaw to the traveling rig.
I think it would maybe take some stress/bounciness out of the trailer ride- maybe my underwear drawers wouldn't come out-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote